Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I think a good design for CT would be a combination of features:

1 - An aerodynamic rail along the length with swing crossbar like Subaru Outback that does not have a big hit on the range when not in use.

2 - It may have to have a robust vertical telescopic element in the skeleton that can be raised when it is needed to make the whole system flat as opposed to sloped.

3 - An optional sliding feature to move the rack forward (over the glass) in case better access to bed is needed. Or backward for easier loading (in the sloped setting it would lower the loading height and better access)

If the design is complete, I have no doubt, smarter people in Tesla have already given this some thought but there is always a compromise in engineering and what they end up with will be interesting to see.
Great configurability point. That swing crossbar is a good catch. No windage penalty only convenience for a rack used only when you need double the cargo.

Doubled number of crossbars for last overland 1900 mi. cross country trip. Shocked add’l bars were such a drag

Less is more! I’m Big Fan of flexibility. Tesla leaves attachment points, rail or s.s. fittings, racks can be adjustable, configurable and detachable. Thule and Yakima fitments are too generic, expensive and heavy.

Tahoe slim profile roof rack used tough plastic feet for lightweight pressfit alum. siderails for aero crossbars. Twenty-two years in desert sun and not a single plastic crack. One bolt in salt air rusted. It doesn’t take a pipe rack, only good pick up points to tie into, please.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
OMG! That's an abomination of a lightbar!

I thought the Cybertruck had a built-in lightbar behind the top of the windshield. Whoever made that must be unaware of that. Plus, it's huge and ugly and placed exactly in the wrong place for aerodynamics - we have a thing called LED's nowdays! They can be made small and bright.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Some puppy uppers, not no doggie downers, right?
Now I can no longer see dogs as anything other than the depressing counterparts to puppies. LOL.

Thanks!!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
While we waited we wandered around and checked for the infamous "panel gap variations" but, even inspecting 20 or 30 up close and personal, the panel gaps looked consistent and sharp. The cars were beautiful.
I swear, panel gap is the new thigh gap. Just a pointless comparison point. Variety is the spice of life. Don’t be picky about meaningless variation.