Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not really a fan of this design. I'm a "top of the wheel" driver when I'm driving, when in autopilot I rest my hand on my left leg and just grab the lower left of the wheel to keep AP happy. This removes both of those positions.
Yes, but the airbag means that top-of-wheel drivers tend to punch themselves in the face and/or suffer a dislocated arm when a collision triggers it.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Yes, but the airbag means that top-of-wheel drivers tend to punch themselves in the face and/or suffer a dislocated arm when a collision triggers it.

-Crissa
What we haven't discussed and you allude to. If the wheel doesn't have a top to it it can be position higher without interfering with vision. I'm starting to think of this design as a safety innovation not just because it prevents arm breaks during airbag deployment but maybe it gets that bag closer to the head. Maybe helps neck injuries, face injuries, etc.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I wasn’t so sure about the new yoke, but I drove today only using the sides and bottom of the steering wheel and it wasn’t an issue. Now I’m down with this and hope it makes the CT. I really like the controls on the yoke as well replacing the stalk. I’m all in!
Ha! I've been doing this the past couple of days!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
What we haven't discussed and you allude to. If the wheel doesn't have a top to it it can be position higher without interfering with vision. I'm starting to think of this design as a safety innovation not just because it prevents arm breaks during airbag deployment but maybe it gets that bag closer to the head. Maybe helps neck injuries, face injuries, etc.
All that is probably true but I suspect the thing that seals the deal with these decisions at the end is the feel of it. The team probably presented it in one of the Plad + versions to Elon and the rest is history. That acceleration, with hum of electric motor can only go with a yoke.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
All that is probably true but I suspect the thing that seals the deal with these decisions at the end is the feel of it. The team probably presented it in one of the Plad + versions to Elon and the rest is history. That acceleration, with hum of electric motor can only go with a yoke.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s Yoke-Style Steering Wheel Revealed by Way of Model S and X Updated Interiors?! star-trek-discovery-stamets-connected-to-spore-drive-640x319

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
The NHTSA has reached out to Tesla about this "rectangular steering wheel".

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
rumored 1st generation Tesla yolk steering wheel
F1 steering wheel.jpg
You guys are going to laugh (and please, feel free) but I really miss the days when the front panel of a piece of electronics looked like that.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
rumored 1st generation Tesla yolk steering wheel
F1 steering wheel.jpg
Isn't that the wireless game controller that gets used for gaming?
Sponsored