Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Technically the yolk is roundish
if we are talking about an egg :)

now the yoke is kinda rectangular.

I for one hope this dose not make it into production cars. After hearing Elon tweet the car would automatically go into drive or reverse and automatically use turn signals based on guesses. I am not all that thrilled. When i back up i look over my shoulder and gran the top of the steering wheel, as i am sure most of us do.

Turn signals? not sure this ones going to pass the NHTSA the turn signal stalk has been in cars for a very very very long time and whats the logic behind its use? If i want to get over a lane in heavy traffic i signal until someone lets me in without having to take my hands off the wheel, i really dont want to tap a touchscreen for this.

Also trying to rock a car stuck in the mud or snow would be much more difficult. I am also very curious what happens when the touch screen goes out! Does your tesla become a big paperweight until a tesla tech can come fix it? Right now you can still drive a tesla without the touch screen on using the stalks.

tweet in case you have not seen it:
Sponsored

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
if we are talking about an egg :)

now the yoke is kinda rectangular.

I for one hope this dose not make it into production cars. After hearing Elon tweet the car would automatically go into drive or reverse and automatically use turn signals based on guesses. I am not all that thrilled. When i back up i look over my shoulder and gran the top of the steering wheel, as i am sure most of us do.

Turn signals? not sure this ones going to pass the NHTSA the turn signal stalk has been in cars for a very very very long time and whats the logic behind its use? If i want to get over a lane in heavy traffic i signal until someone lets me in without having to take my hands off the wheel, i really dont want to tap a touchscreen for this.

Also trying to rock a car stuck in the mud or snow would be much more difficult. I am also very curious what happens when the touch screen goes out! Does your tesla become a big paperweight until a tesla tech can come fix it? Right now you can still drive a tesla without the touch screen on using the stalks.

tweet in case you have not seen it:
Turn signals are right there on the left side of the yoke. Easy to get to with your thumb or finger of choice.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Turn signals are right there on the left side of the yoke. Easy to get to with your thumb or finger of choice.
No stalks with this new steering wheel so here's where the turn signals are activated on the steering wheel.
esx3aksu4aewypz-jpeg.jpg

And here's where the horn and windshield wipers are activated.
esx3r5eucaiuler-jpeg.jpg

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
I’m with BigVBear on this one. I like the Cybertruck, but don’t worship at the church of Elon like many here. This is just stupid.

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
I am open minded to this.
I usually hold the steering wheel at 9 and 3 anyway. Or in cruising near the bottom.
Guess D/N/R , that a bit more crazy I think. Cant see how that works.
If I am in car park and I decide I want to go in reverse instead of forward, how's it gona know.
NOw if it had a btn for D/R/P on the wheel, maybe.

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
{ Now if its got some neural mindreader tech in there, I am out! No one needs to read my mind! }
Way too much crap going on in there. Blood For the Blood God! I have Spoken!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
{ Now if its got some neural mindreader tech in there, I am out! No one needs to read my mind! }
Ah. You missed the part about your little visit to Neuralink before you take delivery.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
With this extra AI I wonder how long it will be before Tesla vehicles will no longer be allowed for driver license tests. Below is a video of someone failing their test because they used autopilot. If the new yoke doesn’t provide a way to manually set forward vs reverse or other things, I wonder if the motor vehicle department people will fail the test takers.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’m with BigVBear on this one. I like the Cybertruck, but don’t worship at the church of Elon like many here. This is just stupid.

I’m no blindly-follower of anyone. I believe this is the type of change that brings resistance based on the fact it is to new to most. Nobody likes change, except a baby with a soiled diaper. ?

I don’t recall who had these wise words regarding new ideas (I want to attribute them to Samuel Clemons). There are three phases to change:
1) That will never work!
2) well, it might work, but it’s a stupid idea.
3) I knew it was a great idea all along.

You’re in phase 1.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m no blindly-follower of anyone. I believe this is the type of change that brings resistance based on the fact it is to new to most. Nobody likes change, except a baby with a soiled diaper. ?

I don’t recall who had these wise words regarding new ideas (I want to attribute them to Samuel Clemons). There are three phases to change:
1) That will never work!
2) well, it might work, but it’s a stupid idea.
3) I knew it was a great idea all along.

You’re in phase 1.
No, I’m in phase 4. That steering yoke has existed for longer than either of us has been alive. No, it isn’t any technological marvel. It’s a dopey attempt to stand out. I’m claiming phase four as..
4) okay, I’ll admit that’s kind of stupid.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
No, I’m in phase 4. That steering yoke has existed for longer than either of us has been alive. No, it isn’t any technological marvel. It’s a dopey attempt to stand out. I’m claiming phase four as..
4) okay, I’ll admit that’s kind of stupid.

I publicly betting this is drive-by-wire and will blow people away.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s Yoke-Style Steering Wheel Revealed by Way of Model S and X Updated Interiors?! 0928F138-0E37-4FDA-9EA4-3FB81254899F

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I publicly betting this is drive-by-wire and will blow people away.
I’m sure it probably is. If it blows people away, it’s just because they’re sheep. Both the airplane and marine industry have done drive by wire for years. If you’re blown away because a truck uses tech that’s available on your average center console fishing boat, you’re easily amused.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just love it. My kinda certainty :D
Honestly, it’s been in use for years and is perfectly safe. No reason not to do it. It’s substantially cheaper as well. My only gripe is the dumb yoke. It’s not a big deal though. No production vehicle ever fits 100%.
Sponsored