Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You have to filter the air that you then squeeze the water out of. The problem comes with stagnant water which attracts dust and the traveling biota along with it.

Tho I wouldn't think that the puddle of water under the car would amount to much if trapped.

-Crissa
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Tho I wouldn't think that the puddle of water under the car would amount to much if trapped.

-Crissa
If it's humid enough to bead substantial water on an AC condenser, it probably rains often enough to that you can just collect rainwater and skip a lot of headache.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There's plenty of water to be had. At 38 °C (100 °F) and 10% RH (central Australian desert) 22,429 lbs of air would pass through a 1 ft sq aperture in 1 hour at 60 mph. This would contain 92 lbs (11 gal) of water and as the dew point is 1.1 °C for such air an evaporator coil wouldn't have to be much colder than that to condense it. But why bother? Keep in mind that the compressor would have to extract the sensible as well as the latent heat from all this air. Efficiency would suffer.

OP
OP
Wolfythelobo

Wolfythelobo

First Name
Giorgio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
I’ve been following this company
And emailed them about their automotive water generator
But never got reply yet.

Automotive Solution
Watergen’s innovative water-from-air technology -
now available in a new solution, tailored for in-vehicle use.
The proprietary technology which was originally developed to help solve the world’s water shortage crisis has now been adapted for use in private cars, recreation and leisure vehicles, buses, trucks and vans.
Automotive Solution
The first company to integrate an atmospheric water generator into a vehicle, Watergen has tailored its patented GENius technology for use in three applications:
Watergen-on-Board
An integrated drinking water solution, which provides the driver and passengers of private vehicles, with clean drinking water
Watergen-to-Go
Watergen for Technical Water
An integrated technical water solution for use in washing sensors and cameras for autonomous vehicles, and other functionalities within vehicles that require water such as Water Injection technologies
An add-on drinking water system for the Automotive aftermarket that can be equipped on any vehicle, to provide the driver and passengers of private, vans, trucks, recreation and leisure vehicles with clean drinking water

How it works
The proprietary patented GENius heat-exchange technology turns air into water in the following four-phase process:
01 | Air Intake
Air from outside the car is drawn into Watergen’s atmospheric water generator, where it is thoroughly cleaned, removing any dust, dirt and other pollutants, leaving only pure air in the system.
02 | Water Generation
The clean air is then directed through the patented GENius heat exchange to the cooling process, bringing it to the temperature at which condensation occurs, thereby creating water.
Automotive Solution Advantages
Water on tap
An independent supply of clean, fresh, drinking-quality water
Convenience
Available right inside the vehicle, for use as and when required
Integrated dispenser
Cold and Hot water
03 | Purification*
The water is channelled through a multi-stage filtering system: sediment filtration, mineralization, activated carbon and microbiological treatment by UV lamp, to give the water a fresh and healthy taste.
04 | Storage & Dispensing
When the water reaches its premium state, it is stored in a built-in tank, where it is kept fresh through continuous circulation. The water is dispensed directly from a built-in dispenser in the front console of the vehicle, as needed.
Standards compliance
Complies with all required World Health Organization (WHO), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and ASSE standards.
Reduced carbon footprint
Green technology with minimal impact on the environment; no need for bottled water
About Watergen
Founded in 2009, Watergen provides a game-changing water-from-air solution based on its proprietary patented GENius technology that uses humidity in the air to create clean and fresh drinking water to people everywhere. The company offers a range of water atmospheric generators (AWG) for various applications; the home-office scale GENNY can produce up to 30 liters of water per day, the medium- scale GEN-M that produces up to 800 liters of water per day and the industrial, large-scale generators that can make as many as 5,000 liters of water per day. Watergen’s AWGs are installed in numerous countries around the globe.
Contact us: [email protected] | watergen.com
* For technical water applications, this stage is not necessary.

OP
OP
Wolfythelobo

Wolfythelobo

First Name
Giorgio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
But never got reply yet.
Would love to have it this
When I get my CT

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
But never got reply yet.
Would love to have it this
When I get my CT
I wonder where this would go on the Cybertruck if it was there. I watched a video where it came up between the cupholders and allowed you to fill a glass in a cupholder. But the Cybertruck is a 6 seater vehicle, I guess it would work to put it on the back of the middle seat where there are also cupholders, as long as it's very leak proof so it's not dripping on the floor when i'm using the 6th seat.

Personally if the Cybertruck had this, I might want a little tap in one of the sails that could extend out. Might not be accessible while driving but it could be pretty easy to fill up a couple reusable bottles when stopping to eat or charge.

I'm not all that interested in it personally, but if they could put it somewhere that it doesn't affect my storage space at all and in a way that it won't leak anywhere in the cab if you can fill from inside, then it would be at least convenient, but nothing I would miss if they couldn't add it. I'm a little bias since I'm in Canada and this would really only help during a couple of humid months. winters are pretty dry here.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
There are soooo many pitfalls in this I am SMH.

1. How do you keep this hidden water collection system sterile? How easy is it to clean and maintain?
2. How much additional plastic, metal, etc. is required to pipe and store this water someplace?
3. How are freezing conditions managed with stored water? What is the electrical impact of this?
4. Carbon footprint of all this additional equipment?
5. Understand how much waste in materials would be required to test all of the above scenarios prior to a production release and the environmental impact of this phase including possibly new molding equipment needed, etc.
6. Potable water may even have to comply to regulatory rules and inspections.

As a apocalyptic solution, ok maybe it has some merit. As a Green solution, yeah I don't see it saving the environment in any way.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The idea of building this into the CT is absurd and does not warrant further consideration. The concept of a water from the air system such as the ones being offered Watergen is not absurd nor is the idea of tossing a portable version of their unit into the back of a CT.

Operated from a renewable power source such a unit represents no environmental impact (unless the refrigerant leaks out). It will consume power. Each liter of water requires that 695 Wh of energy be removed from air at 1 °C and pumped up to whatever ambient it is operating at. In addition the sensible heat must be removed from the air and pumped back up to the environmental temperature. I'll let you insert your own RH and OAT assumptions into the calculation and use whatever COP you think appropriate.

As stated in No. 19 recirculation, filtration and UV exposure keep the water sterile.

Under freezing conditions the system will be effectively inoperative as the SVP of air WRT water gets very low as the temperature drops and the low RH associated with dry air means the actual VP is lower still. There isn't any water to collect. Any water in the reservoir (which will, of course, be insulated) can be kept from freezing by a small electric heater or by using the compressor in a heat pump configuration to draw some heat from the air (down to around 0 °C).

Obviously these systems don't do anything to improve the environment except that if you are in the desert and operate one from solar panels a liter of water puts less CO2 into the air than a well and a pump but the pump can be operated by wind or solar too,

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Well yes, I understand how someone would put this in externally. I was speaking more internally since the Cybertruck doesn't have a center console for a small hose to run through and provide the water.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
That's pretty similar to what I was saying, If they were going to install this sort of system in the Cybertruck, the only reasonable place I could consider the tap for the water would be in the sail. Doing that sort of defeats the purpose. Maybe there is a way that Tesla could do it optimally, maybe not. I just hope that Tesla doesn't focus on this sort of system when there are other things that seem to be more heavily demanded. I know there was the slightest hint they might do this on the Cybertruck a long time ago, but with everything they are trying to include, I think it won't happen.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Any vehicle with A/C system will produce water in the evaporator coil, usually drains out somewhere beneath
the car and not drinking quality but could be filtered so you could. In large business with hvac systems, legionnaires disease
can form in hvac system if not cleaned periodically. My old company bought a building with legionnaires contamination in hvac. They managed to clean it out. I agree with just buy water or fill your own canteen and bring it, most water bottles are so flimsy you sometimes squeeze the bottle too hard trying to open the cap and accidently spilling some water out. I keep a canteen that has a special filter built in it so you can fill it from a creek, pond or lake and have safe water to drink.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Any vehicle with A/C system will produce water in the evaporator coil, usually drains out somewhere beneath
the car and not drinking quality but could be filtered so you could. In large business with hvac systems, legionnaires disease
can form in hvac system if not cleaned periodically. My old company bought a building with legionnaires contamination in hvac. They managed to clean it out. I agree with just buy water or fill your own canteen and bring it, most water bottles are so flimsy you sometimes squeeze the bottle too hard trying to open the cap and accidently spilling some water out. I keep a canteen that has a special filter built in it so you can fill it from a creek, pond or lake and have safe water to drink.
This is also the option I would prefer. I drink tons of water, usually at least 6 liters a day, so when I'm going to be driving for a while, I have a 3L canteen in my back seat as well as my reusable water bottle next to me. It's pretty easy to stop on the highway to fill up my bottle. I do think that more stops need to have a water bottle refill station, I know of the ones around me that do but it's a lot harder than it should be to find these. Even a vending machine sort of refill would suit me, I don't mind paying a little bit to get some nice cold water and fill my bottle.
Sponsored