Cybertruck + Powershare = Qualified Battery Technology for Federal Investment Tax Credit?

jpend

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Ordered
Country flag
With Powerwall 3 now available in the US, I was looking at the guidance on the Federal tax credits for "qualified battery technology". My understanding is that as of 2023, battery-only stand alone installations without solar qualify for the 30% tax credit. Assuming the Cybertruck is just a big battery (maybe at least partially) in the sense of it's function with Powershare and the v3 home gateway, is there potentially a case for claiming the tax credit with this setup?

Base requirements qualified battery technology:
Section 25D
(d)(6)
(A) is installed in connection with a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer, and​
(B) has a capacity of not less than 3 kilo- watt hours​

Special provisions:
(e)
(3)Swimming pools, etc., used as storage medium​
Expenditures which are properly allocable to a swimming pool, hot tub, or any other energy storage medium which has a function other than the function of such storage shall not be taken into account for purposes of this section.​

(e)(3) presents an interesting case - The Cybertruck clearly has another function, however the batteries do not have another function other than providing energy storage. The Cybertruck battery pack is purpose-built to provide this functionality to a home through Powershare. I'm wondering if Tesla created a line-item cost for the battery pack and the Powershare hardware, could there be a path to claiming the credit? Thoughts? Seems like this would easily drive more potential buyers for any vehicle that could meet the requirements through Powershare.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I don't believe that the Cybertruck is "installed"

sylvius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast FS ordered
Country flag
But at a minimum is the cost of gateway installation eligible for the 30%? Hopefully it is but if it is, the installers probably know it too and have added 30% to the cost.

TwilightHan

First Name
Han
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model S, CT Beast Now Ordered
Country flag
I don't believe that the Cybertruck is "installed"
My battery solution at my home has wheels to move it around. What’s the difference? It’s a point zero energy battery solution with eight 2kwh batteries.

TwilightHan

First Name
Han
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model S, CT Beast Now Ordered
Country flag
With Powerwall 3 now available in the US, I was looking at the guidance on the Federal tax credits for "qualified battery technology". My understanding is that as of 2023, battery-only stand alone installations without solar qualify for the 30% tax credit. Assuming the Cybertruck is just a big battery (maybe at least partially) in the sense of it's function with Powershare and the v3 home gateway, is there potentially a case for claiming the tax credit with this setup?

Base requirements qualified battery technology:
Section 25D
(d)(6)
(A) is installed in connection with a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer, and​
(B) has a capacity of not less than 3 kilo- watt hours​

Special provisions:
(e)
(3)Swimming pools, etc., used as storage medium​
Expenditures which are properly allocable to a swimming pool, hot tub, or any other energy storage medium which has a function other than the function of such storage shall not be taken into account for purposes of this section.​

(e)(3) presents an interesting case - The Cybertruck clearly has another function, however the batteries do not have another function other than providing energy storage. The Cybertruck battery pack is purpose-built to provide this functionality to a home through Powershare. I'm wondering if Tesla created a line-item cost for the battery pack and the Powershare hardware, could there be a path to claiming the credit? Thoughts? Seems like this would easily drive more potential buyers for any vehicle that could meet the requirements through Powershare.
I use TurboTax and there is something wrong with how they do their forms and doesn’t calculate properly. I calculate manually and it all works out. I may get my cyber beast mid-end of 2024. I’m going to add a solar panel and bundle everything in per the form. There is nothing that says a battery solution can’t be on wheels or fixed in place. Even if so, I’d fix that cybertruck in my garage and use it as a game station because it’s cheaper than powerwalls.

the tax guidelines and rules are there. If they didn’t want a battery solution on wheels, They should have said so.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
My battery solution at my home has wheels to move it around. What’s the difference? It’s a point zero energy battery solution with eight 2kwh batteries.
I believe that the Fed credits required installed. Portable isn't installed.