Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I have never yet owned a Tesla. I am SOOOOO looking forward to owning a Cybertruck.

But there are small little items that I wonder about. For instance, collision alerts in various situations.

I currently drive a Toyota Sienna as a daily driver. It has a backup camera. It also has an alert that goes off if I am backing up and my rear bumper gets too close to something. And of course this alert just always goes off if I have something on the hitch that blocks the ultrasonic sensors in the rear bumper. It also has a similar alert that goes off if my front bumper gets too close to something. It tends to go off when I'm going through a fast-food drive-through and get a little too close to the wall when trying to get my food.

All that to say, I know that with Tesla Autopilot there is an alert in the case of a possible collision situation right ahead on the highway. And when parked, there is Sentry mode to record if there is an incident near your vehicle. But what about the situations like what my Toyota alerts on? Do I get an alert if I am getting too close to something? Do I get an alert if I am backing up into something? I'd like to avoid a situation like this.

Ideally, even when I am doing the driving myself, my Cybertruck will be looking out for me and using all the cameras to let me know if there is something I need to watch out for. I can only look in 1 direction at a time. But my Cybertruck could watch in all directions all the time and let me know if there is something I need to be aware of. For an extra intuitive system, it would be nice if the alert sound would directionally indicate which way I need to look to see what the issue is. So for instance, when getting too close to something behind me while backing up, the alert should come from the back of the car so I will know to look behind me to see it.
Sponsored

Lasttoy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 S. CT ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My body shop buddy was asking about replacing a fender? I said good luck. He giggled. Just pray we don't get in a wreak.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
All that to say, I know that with Tesla Autopilot there is an alert in the case of a possible collision situation right ahead on the highway. And when parked, there is Sentry mode to record if there is an incident near your vehicle. But what about the situations like what my Toyota alerts on? Do I get an alert if I am getting too close to something? Do I get an alert if I am backing up into something?
You will get an alert if you are backing into something. You will stop about 3 feet away from the other car.

Then the other driver keeps backing up and hits you unless their car has similar brains.

I'd like to avoid a situation like this.
Likely both of these guys were backing up quickly to take advantage of the gap in traffic and were watching for other cars already on the road. The way to avoid this is to avoid parking where you have to back out onto a busy street. It’s a bad situation for more than just this reason. Also, both drivers were backing across 2 lanes of traffic. They were both greedy and should have only backed into one dangerous lane and circling the block instead of going for both.

But my Cybertruck could watch in all directions all the time and let me know if there is something I need to be aware of.
Well my Model Y is pretty good about this so I’m sure the Cybertruck will, but in this backing situation in your video, you’ll have very little time to react and as I said above, the guy coming at you is likely to hit you regardless.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My body shop buddy was asking about replacing a fender? I said good luck. He giggled. Just pray we don't get in a wreak.
Good news: It’s 5x less likely to bend.
Bad news: It’s 5x more expensive to repair.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You will get an alert if you are backing into something. You will stop about 3 feet away from the other guy.

Then he keeps backing up and hits you unless his car has similar brains.

Likely both of these guys were backing up quickly to take advantage of the gap in traffic and were watching for other cars already on the road. The way to avoid this is to avoid parking where you have to back out onto a busy street. It’s a bad situation for more than just this reason.

Well my Model Y is pretty good about this so I’m sure the Cybertruck will, but in this backing situation in your video, you’ll have very little time to react and as I said above, the guy coming at you is likely to hit you regardless.
If I react fast enough I could honk my horn and get his attention. Or maybe even start pulling forward to avoid getting hit. In the worst case scenario, I get hit but I will have been stopped and have video evidence to prove it so the accident will be fully his fault and should be covered by his insurance.

For the guys in the video, I have no idea what the insurance companies would do.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If I react fast enough I could honk my horn and get his attention. Or maybe even start pulling forward to avoid getting hit. In the worst case scenario, I get hit but I will have been stopped and have video evidence to prove it so the accident will be fully his fault and should be covered by his insurance.

For the guys in the video, I have no idea what the insurance companies would do.
I’ve had something very similar to this happen in a parking lot and the result was the same. We stopped, they didn’t. Wound up eating the repair ourselves rather than deal with insurance. This kind of thing is usually so quick you don’t have time to switch gears or even honk.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ugh, I had that happen a couple years ago at Costco.

Lady was like, 'I saw you backing out and thought you saw me'

I didn't see her until the last second in the backup camera.

And then they tried to say I backed up into her, that it was my fault 'because the corner of her bumper turned inward'. I was like, 'We struck corner to corner. And my bumper can't turn inward and hers was square. This is entirely based off of angle, not who was moving. Sheesh.'

-Crissa
Sponsored