Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Occupation
Programmer, Cook, Farmer
Country flag
I am thinking about a possible future using a Cybertruck to power a mobile restaurant (similar to food truck). Particularly, I am thinking about joining a trailer to the CT, that will have run a pizza oven (gas or fire), as well as an efficient refrigerator. The trailer would allow me to make sales as a portable kitchen. I would also like to use the CT as a temporary shelter and spend the night in it, since I don't know where I might be. I plan to move between small farms and places of sale potentially all over the country. To do this scenario I think I would need:
1. The CT to supply 12volts to all the trailer devices - I need refrigeration at all times
2. An external solar panel - I want to be able to recharge while I work
3. Some sort of camper
4. I would like to be able to run electric or compressed air tools from the CT.

Does anybody have any details about #1? How can I found out more about #2,#3, #4? Any feedback is welcome.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
1) They've said yes, but we don't know how this will happen. They said 240v in the bed, and showed it in the prototype.

2) They haven't suggested this. We hope so, but no details on their solar system have been given.

3) Probably, but they have only shown concept sketches, no timelines.

4) They said this would be a feature, but how to or how strong is yet to be shown.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So to do this you would need to consider a lot of different options.

obviously battery consumption is a big one, you would either only be able to use it until the battery is low and then use a level 2 charger until the next day, or you would have to continuously be using level 3 chargers when you are low and still want to work more.
I would recommend trying to consider all forms of electricity that you would be using in that trailer. Obviously the fridge for the ingredients, but you might need a bigger one if you plan to serve drinks as well which is can seriously increase profits. I sold hot dogs from a cart for a summer in university and there were days that 40% of my profits were drinks. You could just always buy ice as well for a cooler.

The solar panel probably wouldn't work with the Cybertruck unless they give the option with the solar power with the cybertruck. right now you can't really just plug a solar panel into the truck. Even if they add a solar panel, it probably won't be much of a difference, so don't expect too much range or extra time to run your trailer.

A big thing if you are constantly moving and traveling with this for work is to make sure you keep track of areas that might require permits. If you are sticking to smaller towns, this probably won't be much of an issue.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The trailer could use solar itself and th e truck only to augment that. Especially as a 12v DC system, they're pretty easy to chain together.

I don't think it'll be all that difficult, it's just that we don't know what form any of these connections will be.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The trailer could use solar itself and th e truck only to augment that. Especially as a 12v DC system, they're pretty easy to chain together.

I don't think it'll be all that difficult, it's just that we don't know what form any of these connections will be.

-Crissa
Yeah I was thinking if he can install a big enough one on the roof of the trailer, he could easily power the fridge, lights and some other appliances. A good mixer rated for commercial use would really help unless he wants to roll all his dough by hand every single day he sells.

Realistically there would need to be enough room in the fridge for some dough at least so there isn't a shortage, especially on a hot day if the trailer isn't air conditioned, you might want to put it all in the fridge.

There are decent size trailers designed to be like a food truck that you can get. they would also have the option to attach a generator, which I would recommend. Even if you hardly ever use the generator, It would make for a good backup.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I personally wouldn't want to use a supercharger to charge everyday, especially if I was constantly using the truck to power a kitchen in a trailer. Tesla recommends not always using the supercharger as well, as it could lower the capacity of the battery over time. Also a solar panel on the roof of the trailer would probably be a lot cheaper in the long run with a small generator backup.

Another reason is I've heard of people who constantly use superchargers and apparently Tesla restricted their charging speed on superchargers.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I like your concept. Are you planning the Cybertruck to be part of the visual ensemble of vehicle and trailer? A stainless vehicle and similar looking trailer to match as a promotional schematic?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag

Bingo

The 7 way RV style plug will charge and maintain a pair of group 31 deep cycle batteries stored in the trailer. You connect a good quality 3 way fridge to these batteries. You also connect a 300w solar panel and controller to aforementioned batteries. You use simple propane tanks for cooking, and backup to the fridge. Done. Start cooking and have fun!

The trailer is now power independent of the CT, but when connected, will have weeks of power if needed. The solar alone can keep the fridge going most of the time.

Let me know if you want to renovate an old Airstream into a bar or food trailer. I've renovated a 1970 Airstream and loved working on it.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
There are quite a few more things that require electric in a food truck such as exhaust fans, warming drawers/heat lamps other refrigeration besides storage, water pumps, hot water heater, cash register/computer etc. are just a few potential issues to keep in mind.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are quite a few more things that require electric in a food truck such as exhaust fans, warming drawers/heat lamps other refrigeration besides storage, water pumps, hot water heater, cash register/computer etc. are just a few potential issues to keep in mind.
Yes, which will overwhelm then onboard storage, but then you can just plug into the AC in the back of the Cybertruck while you're sitting still.

Having different power systems wouldn't be so difficult, and it would mean the fridge would operate while the Cybertruck was off on an errand or the trailer was in short term storage.

-Crissa

OP
OP

cosmicone

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Occupation
Programmer, Cook, Farmer
Country flag
So to do this you would need to consider a lot of different options.

obviously battery consumption is a big one, you would either only be able to use it until the battery is low and then use a level 2 charger until the next day, or you would have to continuously be using level 3 chargers when you are low and still want to work more.
I would recommend trying to consider all forms of electricity that you would be using in that trailer. Obviously the fridge for the ingredients, but you might need a bigger one if you plan to serve drinks as well which is can seriously increase profits. I sold hot dogs from a cart for a summer in university and there were days that 40% of my profits were drinks. You could just always buy ice as well for a cooler.

The solar panel probably wouldn't work with the Cybertruck unless they give the option with the solar power with the cybertruck. right now you can't really just plug a solar panel into the truck. Even if they add a solar panel, it probably won't be much of a difference, so don't expect too much range or extra time to run your trailer.

A big thing if you are constantly moving and traveling with this for work is to make sure you keep track of areas that might require permits. If you are sticking to smaller towns, this probably won't be much of an issue.
Thanks, good advice
I like your concept. Are you planning the Cybertruck to be part of the visual ensemble of vehicle and trailer? A stainless vehicle and similar looking trailer to match as a promotional schematic?
I didn't consider that. It is an interesting idea.
Sponsored