Cybertruck did NOT have windshield wipers & rear mirrors. What will it have INSTEAD?

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
super hydrophobic is the way to go if a durable coating could be found. That and a blast of laminar compressed air.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

To paraphrase Dr. Emmet Brown from BACK TO THE FUTURE, “We don’t need wipers where we’re going.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck did NOT have windshield wipers & rear mirrors. What will it have INSTEAD? 6FBB51DC-CBF8-47C3-9477-5D6F9B684E69

CMaraia

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, 1970 911
Occupation
Jewelry Maker
Country flag
OK, many on the internet are saying that the cybbertruck did not have windshield wipers nor rear mirrors because that was an oversight since it was a prototype made in a hurry. However, the Model 3 had windshield wipers at its reveal. The Model Y had windshield wipers at its reveal, too. In an interview with Marques Brownlee (a YouTuber), Elon Musk said, "“Manufacturers are required to have side mirrors [on their cars], but I believe that the owner is not.” Elon is suggesting that the Cybertrucks and Roadsters are going to be sold with owner removable side rear view mirrors. A panoramic rear view will be available via the rear view LCD screen replacement for middle rear view mirror. This will replace the function of the side rear view and central rear view mirrors.

Also, the Cybertruck will feature lasers to zap water off the windshield instead of windshield wipers. That's why it did not have one at the reveal. At high speed, a hydrophobic coating on the glass will wick water away from the glass just like on airplanes. At low speed, a laser will be firing from INSIDE the glass kinda like how a laser fires from inside a fiber optic cable. This will prevent the laser from firing outside in the environment, blinding people. As long as you do not touch the glass while the vehicle is moving, you will not get your hands burned. Also, ALON (the material that the glass is made of, ALON, or aluminum oxy nitride) has a low specific heat, meaning that if you heat it up, the temperature drops quickly after you turn off the heat source, like a heat sink that's on the motherboard of your computer. So, if you stop the car, the laser turns off. If you immediately touch it, it is not hot to the touch and therefore safe to touch.

Here is a video with more details;
CYBERTRUCK LASER WINDSHIELD WIPERS

P.S. BTW, the video asks you to donate to my best friend who has cancer. Ignore that request. She passed away last night. I don't think I will be making any more YouTube videos after this....
Snicker…..and you think a car with a $50K price tag will enjoy this shit? Just be glad it’s odd looking. And when you want to spend $100K for a car with all this laser shit….pony up. These are things that happen over time. Step by step they will get there, but it ain’t happening on Ct 1.0.

No-ICE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Tundra
Country flag
You're right that it would need side mirrors for traditional visibility down the side of big trailers/campers. However nothing about the CyberTruck is traditional. I remember seeing a clip for the 2020 Silverado that used a camera on the trailer for backing up. Shouldn't be too difficult to have additional camera option while towing with the CyberTruck. Just 2 cameras for the side of the trailer and have them wired with the break light connections.
You're right that it would need side mirrors for traditional visibility down the side of big trailers/campers. However nothing about the CyberTruck is traditional. I remember seeing a clip for the 2020 Silverado that used a camera on the trailer for backing up. Shouldn't be too difficult to have additional camera option while towing with the CyberTruck. Just 2 cameras for the side of the trailer and have them wired with the break light connections.

Mirrors vs Cameras for Towing..

With all the discussion recently about Side mirror or cameras, I hope the Tesla Engineers and Designers are considering the need for visibility while towing a travel trailer.

I plan to use my future CT extensively for towing a travel trailer.

Not sure if the CT will have side mirrors that will extend? Or perhaps, wireless cameras that can be mounted on the travel trailer which would integrate with on-board information screen.

I am very interested on the solution Tesla comes up with.

N.ICE

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With all the discussion recently about Side mirror or cameras, I hope the Tesla Engineers and Designers are considering the need for visibility while towing a travel trailer.
Why do you need mirrors when you have cameras? Just stick a camera on the trailer's butt.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Why do you need mirrors when you have cameras? Just stick a camera on the trailer's butt.

-Crissa
Also stick a monitor on the tail and stream a front camera. Drivers following you will appreciate it and defuses angst.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Also stick a monitor on the tail and stream a front camera. Drivers following you will appreciate it and defuses angst.
Instead of streaming a front camera, stream an episode of Friends or Sienfeld. Mass market TV is the sugar that lulls the populace into quiet serenity. If you are worried about driver angst, this method could be used to calm that angst. Of course, don't go overboard with a nature documentary the puppy channel. You don't want them so distracted as to not respond when you have to do emergency braking.
Sponsored