Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Texas has not been kind to Tesla at all, both in refusing to allow direct sales in the state, and also threatening the ban of Tesla Service Centers via the language in a proposed bill early last year. Fortunately, that did not become Texas law. So the parallel here is that Tesla Cybertrucks will be made in Texas, but you won't be able to 'buy' them at a Tesla store in Texas? and will have to get them via 'online purchase' For Texans, test drives prior to purchase would have to be done in another state? I
Texas may fast-track a bill allowing Tesla to sell cars in the state since they are building a factory and providing thousands of jobs during construction and at the factory after it is built, not including the thousands of ancillary jobs that will come from suppliers, food industry, etc.

Interestingly, Tesla spent a lot money lobbying to get the ability to sale cars in Texas but lost the fight. "The electric-car maker has 13 stores or galleries in Texas, now one of only two states blocking direct sales by manufacturers. Tesla employees at these sites can’t talk about prices, take orders, or sell cars. All transactions must happen online. By 2017, Tesla had spent at least $1.2 million to lobby Texas lawmakers to change that, but it was no match for the big political donations mustered by the 1,300 dealerships in Texas, major players in state politics."

Also, this....

"Now it appears Texas wants to prevent manufacturers like Tesla from servicing its vehicles as well. Electrek reported on a new bill (SB 1415) that would prevent manufacturers like Tesla from fixing cars at its own service centers. Republican senator Kelly Hancock’s proposed legislation alters language in the state’s transportation code to ban vehicle manufacturers from “servicing” and “repairing” cars. That would cripple Tesla’s attempts to expand in the state, one of America’s largest auto markets, at a time when Tesla said it is making service and parts supply its “top priority.”

The bill’s language states a manufacturer or distributor may not own an interest in parties engaged in servicing or repairing their vehicles:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Has a Texas Home! Musk Announces Gigafactory Texas For Cybertruck Production! Screenshot-2019-03-17-13.11.17

The bill is wrapped up in a fight to give an exception to dealership rules for Berkshire Hathaway, which owns car dealerships and an RV manufacturing business in Texas, reports the Austin-American Statesman. Warren Buffett’s conglomerate has been embroiled in enforcement actions by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles for two years for violating the current statute. The firm has a controlling stake in RV maker Forest River and more than two dozen dealerships in Texas (although not ones that sell RVs). Similarly, heavy engine producer Cummins has allegedly violated the law for performing warranty maintenance on its own engines in Texas. Tesla cried foul as legislators have tried to amend the statute, calling it special treatment for big donors, even as they shut Tesla out of the process.

At issue is a battle over money. Car dealers derive much of their revenue from selling and (especially) servicing vehicles. Tesla’s direct-to-customer sales and service stations are a threat to that business model since they cut dealers out of the transaction.

The Texas Automotive Dealers Association objects to this portrayal. It argues that (pdf) Tesla wants a special exemption from state rules requiring dealer franchisees for retail sales. The regulations, developed in the 1930s, “prevent monopolies and promote competition in vehicle pricing and service,” the association claims. But that arrangement is mostly the result of lobbying and protectionism. As Quartz has reported, automakers can’t cut out the middleman (dealers) to help reduce the 30% or so of a car’s costs now spent on distribution. That arrangement, say experts, stifles innovation and artificially inflates costs by forcing all sales through dealerships. The US Federal Trade Commission said similar dealer-friendly laws in Michigan were “likely harming both competition and consumers.”

Source: QUARTZ

This was from 2019
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Terafactory is 5 minutes from the airport. I'll fly there and drive it back to Maryland . . . oops, I meant I'll let my cybertruck drive me back to Maryland.
Maybe summon your CT to the airport... THAT would be wild.

• Haha
Reactions: Jow

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Very happy this is official.. although everyone saw it coming. I will definitely be picking up my CT from the factory. Very proud to have Tesla building a factory in Texas.

Bigsur345

Banned
Banned
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda, '72 Ford Ranchero, 2017 Moar Rapt II E-Bike
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for posting this! It’s kind of funny reading about the area and it mentioned “moderate traffic.” I that’s about to change drastically!! ?
That Redi-Mix and asphalt plant to the north are popping the champagne

Bigsur345

Banned
Banned
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda, '72 Ford Ranchero, 2017 Moar Rapt II E-Bike
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for posting this! It’s kind of funny reading about the area and it mentioned “moderate traffic.” I that’s about to change drastically!! ?
I have Google Earth Pro and looked at the historical pics of the site; here's a view from 2003. There was a sand pit in the NE area of the site - let's hope there is not any Brownfield issues.

I see what could be characterized as wetlands and I saw a few large settling ponds that have been since filled in and vegitiated - there'll be alotta pile drivin over there at those ponds $$$

As a civil engineer, I can tell you this site is a tiny bit messy; hopefully, they get on it and not find additional geotechnical and/or environmental issues and people won't overly freak out on any final wetland dispostion.

I wouldn't mind working this job; alot of challenges but probably incredibly stressful :-0

Without property lines and additional facts, all of this is speculation .... except the stress part.

Can't wait to drive down from Dallas and pick my truck up!

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Has a Texas Home! Musk Announces Gigafactory Texas For Cybertruck Production! Annotation 2020-07-23 122700

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I have Google Earth Pro and looked at the historical pics of the site. There was a sand pit in the NE area of the site - let's hope there is not any Brownfield issues.

I see what could be characterized as wetlands and I saw a few large settling ponds that have been since filled in and vegitiated - there'll be alotta pile drivin over there at those ponds $$$

As a civil engineer, I can tell you this site is a tiny bit messy; hopefully, they get on it and not find additional geotechnical and/or environmental issues and people won't overly freak out on any final wetland dispostion.

I wouldn't mind working this job; alot of challenges but probably incredibly stressful :-0 Can't wait to drive down from Dallas and pick my truck up!
The site itself is on a current cement place / gravel pit, isn't it?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Ohhh... but the operating costs start increasing dramatically right about that mileage. Injectors, turbos, starters, fuel pumps all begin to fail right about then. I had to let my last Ford go simply because of operating cost, I couldn’t afford to keep that truck any longer.
I've got 189k on my 2013 F350 diesel. Those operating costs alone cost more than the loan on my CT will be

carrtb

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Silver M3 Perf, '18 Midnight Silver M3 Perf, former '14 MS85, 2001 F150 Crew
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Looking forward to my new CT! I’m in Amarillo. Truck country here. Hoping our 2001 F150 Crew with 367,000 miles will hang in there, I shouldn’t doubt the dang thing as it’s been a great truck for two decades.

Last edited:

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Thank god!!!!!!! I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!! My truck will BE TEXAS MADE!!!!!!
:cool:
Now the countdown begins. When will the first Cybertruck roll off out of the factory? When will we see one in the wild? How many accidents will be caused by people staring in amazement as the ignore the fact that the car ahead of them just stopped?
Sponsored