CyberTruck illegal in EU?

Dunkywood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I don't know if this has been a topic before, scrolled through and couldn't find it.
If it is out there feel free to link it in the comments :)

So i am hearing a lot about CyberTrucks sharp edges and crumble zones and how that wont fly under EU regulations. Unfortunately, i can not find any valid sources from regulators, except the one example in Bosnia. The Bosnia CyberTruck replica is illegal to register due to its very sharp corners.

Does anyone have any information they can share? Any sources of any kind?

Im planning to make the CyberTruck my daily driver, so it would suck bad if i cant have it :(
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We just don't know. It depends on how they treat it - several existing American SUVs are sold in the EU in small numbers but have aggressive front grills and even less slope so...

We don't know until they test. Crumple zones will be part of the design, that's not a problem.

And one-offs are always harder to license.

-Crissa

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I don't know if this has been a topic before, scrolled through and couldn't find it.
If it is out there feel free to link it in the comments :)

So i am hearing a lot about CyberTrucks sharp edges and crumble zones and how that wont fly under EU regulations. Unfortunately, i can not find any valid sources from regulators, except the one example in Bosnia. The Bosnia CyberTruck replica is illegal to register due to its very sharp corners.

Does anyone have any information they can share? Any sources of any kind?

Im planning to make the CyberTruck my daily driver, so it would suck bad if i cant have it :(
As the situation stands as of right now.
As per confirmation directly from Elon's lips, no the Cybertruck can not pass EU regulations,
and therefore not be sold in the EU and other related markets. This is unequivocal and fact.

A number of possibilities for a path forward do exist, and the possibility the Original Cybertruck may still make it on the market in the EU, but the chances are slim.
Possibilities include :

A/ Asking for and receiving exemptions from the authorities. I believe unlikely.

B/ Modifying the Cybertruck to meet the EU regulations.

C/ Making a world acceptable smaller (midsize ) Cybertruck, that will also be sold alongside the original Cybertruck in the U.S.. This has already been confirmed as in the works. Timing of release is speculation but reason to believe it may announced as early as before the end of the year.

As All overseas reserve holders are now left hanging !
And like you are awaiting further information from Tesla.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
As per confirmation directly from Elon's lips, no the Cybertruck can not pass EU regulations,
and therefore not be sold in the EU and other related markets. This is unequivocal and fact.

A number of possibilities for a path forward do exist, and the possibility the Original Cybertruck may still make it on the market in the EU, but the chances are slim.
Possibilities include :

A/ Asking for and receiving exemptions from the authorities. I believe unlikely.

C/ Making a world acceptable smaller (midsize ) Cybertruck, that will also be sold alongside the original Cybertruck in the U.S.. This has already been confirmed as in the works. Timing of release is speculation but reason to believe it may announced as early as before the end of the year.

I don't see the current Cybertruck ever going overseas. I think if they will start to make new and smaller Cybertrucks overseas after 1-2 years of production in the US. There just isn't as much of a demand for a full size pickup in europe.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right now the Cybertruck can't pass any regional requirements (even North America) because they haven't made any of them.

So Geo's statement is highly misleading.

-Crissa

jfazzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
The Cybertruck will be classed as a Commercial Vehicle, due to the capacity being over 1.5 metric tonnes, so I don't think it will have to pass the same tests as cars.

I've tried looking for the recent EU Regulations and am coming up a blank.

Tesla wouldn't have opened up the orders here if they weren't going to sell it to our market.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
1.5 metric tonnes would be 1500kg which the model 3 is over that. I don't know EU regulations but that doesn't seem right.

Also if it had to be a commercial vehicle, wouldn't it also need commercial insurance? That can be very expensive, at least in Canada it is.

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Possibilities include :

We don’t have to worry, seeing as they haven’t made any yet! All our fears are groundless. The CT will be made to pass all relevant regulations especially in the EU. Elon was just kidding that he wouldn’t sell his North American CT in EU in it’s current form.?

This was interesting in regard to future regulations particularly in respect to light commercial and SUV.

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2018/wp29grsp/GRSP-63-31e.pdf

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We don’t have to worry, seeing as they haven’t made any yet! All our fears are groundless. The CT will be made to pass all relevant regulations especially in the EU. Elon was just kidding that he wouldn’t sell his North American CT in EU in it’s current form.?
They don't even sell the Model Y in its initial NA configuration in the EU. And the Cybertruck prototype doesn't even meet NA standards today. And it took them years to get to shipping Model 3s to the EU, let alone the UK.

So I don't understand the argument.

-Crissa

...but many exceptions for heavy M1 passenger cars (SUVs) and N1 light commercial vehicles (vans)....
...but not yet for heavy M1 passenger cars (SUVs) and N1 light commercial vehicles (vans), mandatory in 2019.
So we don't even know what the rules will be or if Cybertruck's active mitigation factors will overwhelm the passive ones. They haven't yet made all the tests, let alone the rules, despite saying they would around now.

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

This was interesting in regard to future regulations particularly in respect to light commercial and SUV.

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2018/wp29grsp/GRSP-63-31e.pdf
I don't think he was kidding. I've done a lot of traveling and i've noticed that many manufacturers have smaller versions of the game car in Europe. when it comes to big trucks, i barely ever seen any, even the delivery trucks seemed smaller. I think they would would make a 4' bed to replace the 6.5' and I would also expect a few inches off the width.