Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think it is in California, CHP pulled me over coming back from Las Vegas on the freeway, for passing in the right lane... About 25 years ago. I was super surprised, because I was not driving aggressively or weaving through traffic at all. I have always driven in the right lane when possible.
They can pull you over for anything, but it's not illegal to pass on the right in California.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
In defense of the op he does have right of way and rights must be jealously guarded or they are lost. I commend him for signaling his intent to overtake and following up with the authorities to force them to enforce the law as they are paid to do. I do hope he is more conscious than the lane hog and realizes that he should never carry a gun since he has poor self control if he allows other idiots to turn him into one too.

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
In defense of the op he does have right of way and rights must be jealously guarded or they are lost. I commend him for signaling his intent to overtake and following up with the authorities to force them to enforce the law as they are paid to do. I do hope he is more conscious than the lane hog and realizes that he should never carry a gun since he has poor self control if he allows other idiots to turn him into one too.
I think what you are doing is the right thing. Trying to influence behavior through legal and moral means so people drive better.

Where I live, 70-80 percent of people drive like the one that pissed you off. There is a stretch of road that one lane turns into two and without an exception I always have to pass everyone on the right. What that means to me is that even if you teach an idiot a lesson through unconventional means and feel better in the process, the road will not run out of idiots. When I traveled to Nova Scotia, Canada, I did not see a single vehicle in fast lane that was not passing. Some people are just more aware and civilized. I know folks in my area are not in that group and I adjust my expectations.

I have no idea who was the person that pissed you off. Next time that happens, I suggest you imagine:

• It is a dude that is coming back from a doctor visit in which he was told by his doctor, he has two months to live. He is stuck in the fast lane because he is not aware he is driving.
  • It is a 90 year old lady that is afraid of roads and cars but needs food and have no one to go grocery shopping for her. She does not want to get on the road, lose her license or die in an accident but she does not have much of a choice.

I can add two pages of bullets here but I know you get my drift. People rarely do it to piss you off. It is often because they don’t know any better.

I once rented a tiny car that felt like it was going to fall apart if you went over speed limit and ended up with a monster truck riding my tail while my wife was sitting next to me. He could easily pass us and could also accidentally run over us and crush us like a tin can. I considered that behavior the same as putting a gun to my wife’s head in front of me. I pulled over and let him pass and followed him for a while hoping he would stop somewhere until my wife knocked some sense into me to let it go. Whether you are in front of people or behind, if you have a big vehicle or small, kick someone’s ass or get your ass kicked, these conflicts do not end well. I hope when you get your CT, you find yourself hypermiling in slow lane, enjoying classical music rather than tailgating a smart car in fast lane.
I think it depends more on the person on if they would be intimidated not the type of vehicle. I wouldn't be intimidated but my ability to deal with that type of stress is different from everybody else's. riding and flashing somebody is just a way to get a reaction out of them weather its to move over or just to intimidate because you can. personally, I carry everywhere but would never consider using it unless my life was in danger. an inconsiderate person doesn't fall under that for me. plus "defending" yourself from a moving vehicle does not fair too well for others around you. I think more patience would be a better tool that buying a vehicle to be more intimidating. and cheaper.
This incident that I originally posted way back in May was a young dude. However, the area where I live is notoriously filled with Super Ultra Mega Karens. Whenever I open the Nextdoor app, I see posts from these Super Mega Karens. So if I came out like that, well, that's why.

Now why did I take the initiative to contact my representative? My voice was literally falling onto deaf ears and the cops don't even want to see my dashcam videos to give a ticket and educated these people, even with full legible tags. All departments was like "we need to see this in person", yet they leave empty unoccupied marked cruisers on the road. And also, the 2nd reason is super obvious: this brews road rage. Forgot to mention, it took a month for our do-nothing save the freaking world ICE vehicle hating (mind you, she LOVES factories, DINOSAUR energies, metal mining, which all of these emits the majority of the harmful gasses into our atmosphere, NOT racecars) Congresswoman to reply.

I now realize, stubborn and ignorant people will always be stubborn and ignorant, regardless if there's a tank behind them or a Fiat 500. I guess common sense is a superpower now, especially when driving on the road.

I don't understand still why people do this. LIke if you wanna go slow, move over and hog up the right lane. I am one of the people that hogs up the right lane, because that's common sense; want to go 10 under the speed limit, use the right lane (I do 10 under the speed limit on highways, but on the right lane, and cops don't pull me over since I am using the lane as it was intended by law). Yes, I hypermile (yes, I do got them double standards, but follow the freaking law! It keeps our roads and communities safe). That's clearly what the right-most lane was designed for (for our friends across the pond, left-most lane). If you have a turn that's on the left, don't hog up the lane for like 10 freaking miles. Move into the lane like half a mile before or if you miss the turn, make a U-turn safely. I swear people are doing this on purpose, maybe out of spite. Not sure exactly what fun they are getting out of it other than pissing off other drivers and creating a hostile, violent, and unsafe driving experience for the day.

@Diehard -- I literally read posts where said Super Mega Karens does this ON PURPOSE! It's why we can't have nice things like passing safely using the left lane as it's intended to be used.

I just did a run where my vehicle did 526 miles in 17.246 gals in a single fuel tank. Now my vehicle has challenged me to do a 600-mile run since it has a mind of its own. And guess what: These people on the highway used the left lane to pass me, just as described in the law. This is why I NEVER tailgate people on the right lane to go faster. I respect their decision and choice to go slow on the right lane, because I am one of these people. However, I got plans to put my Cybertruck in its paces to see what its limits are, especially with range & towing.

Heck, we can't have no speed limits because of these left lane hogs. Europeans gets this right all the time, but why do we fail to realize left lane hogging isn't safe one bit? If the DMVs teach people better and to a better road exams and tests, I swear this left lane hog issue will plummet into non-existence, which will allow us to have no speed limits. Until then, we are stuck with this bs type of driving from ignorant people.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I don't understand still why people do this.
I find this to be more of a problem in densely populated areas. Folks think of the opportunity to pass and the fast lane as a scarcity so once they have it, they have a hard time letting go.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
They can pull you over for anything, but it's not illegal to pass on the right in California.

-Crissa
depends on circumstances and if the car in being passed makes a right turn, most if not all of liability is on the car passing. Depends on circumstances.

Is it safe and prudent, generally OK without violating federal laws. If an accident occurs, proves your judgement assessment Was not safe nor prudent.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...ivision=11.&title=&part=&chapter=3.&article=3.

The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.

(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.

(d) Upon a one-way street.

(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.

The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

(Amended by Stats. 2010, Ch. 491, Sec. 39. (SB 1318) Effective January 1, 2011.)

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
[two cents]

I'm a New Yorker. The speed limit is only 50 MPH in NYC and there are thousands of cameras that give you a ticket for going over 25 miles per hour on most of our roads (Unfortunately, this is not a joke). We tend to be aggressive in other ways because the traffic is so bad that we rarely get to go the speed limit anyway.

EDIT... PS. To be clear, I'm not saying the cameras give you a ticket for going 25 MPH OVER the limit. I'm saying the default speed limit in NYC IS ONLY 25 MPH. You get the ticket for doing 30.

So most of our aggression isn't caused by slow drivers, but people cutting you off or not letting you merge into their lane (two sides of the same coin).

That said, I drive a Ford F-150, which is bigger than the Cybertruck. One thing I can say is that when I need to merge onto a road... people get out of the way. People are definitely intimidated by the size.

Other than that, when you're sitting in traffic, New Yorkers are likely to get aggressive when somebody looks at you the wrong way while stuck in traffic. Common fights start with "What are you lookin' at?".

[RANT]
Those 25 mph speed cameras are EVERYWHERE. There are at least 50 of them within a 5 mile radius of my house and they're timed perfectly so that whenever you see a traffic light ahead of you, if you try to go slightly over 25 to make the light, you are GUARANTEED to get a $55 speed cam ticket.

PS. NOBODY ever wins a case against the cameras.

Pa Cybertruck

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento
Occupation
Machinist
Country flag
Actually, I gave this a much better time of 2 months, and now I am taking legislative action. I have messaged my representative at the state level. I laid out the issue at hand, and the possible severe consequences if it wasn't addressed. I also laid out a few resolutions to mitigate it after my voice going onto deaf ears by our police departments (yes, 3 of them in fact).

Only issue here: I haven't heard anything from the representative yet, and its been a couple weeks now. The governor on the other hand was fast in response.
And this is why I have a dashcam

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
[two cents]

I'm a New Yorker. The speed limit is only 50 MPH in NYC and there are thousands of cameras that give you a ticket for going over 25 miles per hour on most of our roads (Unfortunately, this is not a joke). We tend to be aggressive in other ways because the traffic is so bad that we rarely get to go the speed limit anyway.

EDIT... PS. To be clear, I'm not saying the cameras give you a ticket for going 25 MPH OVER the limit. I'm saying the default speed limit in NYC IS ONLY 25 MPH. You get the ticket for doing 30.

So most of our aggression isn't caused by slow drivers, but people cutting you off or not letting you merge into their lane (two sides of the same coin).

That said, I drive a Ford F-150, which is bigger than the Cybertruck. One thing I can say is that when I need to merge onto a road... people get out of the way. People are definitely intimidated by the size.

Other than that, when you're sitting in traffic, New Yorkers are likely to get aggressive when somebody looks at you the wrong way while stuck in traffic. Common fights start with "What are you lookin' at?".

[RANT]
Those 25 mph speed cameras are EVERYWHERE. There are at least 50 of them within a 5 mile radius of my house and they're timed perfectly so that whenever you see a traffic light ahead of you, if you try to go slightly over 25 to make the light, you are GUARANTEED to get a $55 speed cam ticket.

PS. NOBODY ever wins a case against the cameras.
? I'm looking at you! P.S. Yankees suck.

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
And this is why I have a dashcam
Ayee! I'm not the only one driving WITH a dash camera. I am using this as a tool to show evidence to the legislature regarding this issue.

ngl, I feel different when I drive a vehicle without a dash camera. This is gonna be an interesting week with a rental vehicle while my car is in the body shop. Unfortunately, it isn't a Tesla; at least its a truck, so I can get a feel what the CT would be like.
Sponsored