cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
In this case I was honestly mystified. We have seen the CT SS hit with a sledgehammer resulting in no damage. Then a huge metal ball bearing hitting the glass in the launch night demo video (before Fanz threw it live) and the glass did great.

Now, there are a couple caveats.
Here’s a caveat:

Both weight and air resistance depend on the size of the hail. So terminal speed increases with the radius of hail.

So baseball-sized hail, ironically, has a speed of about a baseball thrown by a top-tier Major League Baseball player. Hit at about 100 joules - equivalent to a well-loaded .22 caliber rifle.

now, just because the CT panels/glass are purportedly bullet resistant to a 9mm fired at range in a pistol, does not mean those bullets don’t shatter the glass, and nearly punch through the panel. A couple 9mm hit in roughly the same spot and they’re punching through, with little energy left.

Franz threw that steel ball like he barely meant it.

Give a dozen pro pitchers a couple hundred baseball-sized pieces of hail traveling at 90mph, and - just like bullet resistance - the person inside may survive, but you’re not gonna like the way the truck looks.

And smaller than baseball-sized hail won’t be any picnic, either.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
In this case I was honestly mystified. We have seen the CT SS hit with a sledgehammer resulting in no damage. Then a huge metal ball bearing hitting the glass in the launch night demo video (before Fanz threw it live) and the glass did great.

I was reacting to people saying that they wanted to hide their CT in a garage to protect it from hail. Now I admit that there is a lot of hail damage on a yearly basis. But when ice hits something solid, it tends to shatter. Additionally a steel ball is much more dense than an ice ball. So even if the hail is as large or noticeably larger than the steel ball Franz threw, the chances of it causing damage is much diminished from a "normal" automobile (including a rough and tough truck).

1: the demo we saw was for the side window glass with the presumption that the forward windscreen would be just as tough or tougher. But what of the glass above the cabin? Is it also made with the same level of strength?
2: Hail rarely comes down as a single stone by itself. So what would a sustained 1-2 minute hail storm do against a CT?

So given all that, I really have to question why people are worried about hail damage to their CT. If anything, I'd want to have a CT built big enough to encompass the house so the house is protected from hail. Perhaps the Tesla solar glass tiles match this description. Especially if the framing under the roof is built strong enough to handle the extra stress. From what I understand, the glass tiles are supposed to be strong enough to not worry about hail.
The larger the hail the faster the terminal velocity, so a 3" hail can be above 110mph, faster than Franz can throw. Both speed and mass create the impact energy, so both need to be considered. Hail literally, falls from the sky, so can reach higher speeds.

The relatively low angle of the windscreen and roof will likely result in a lot of the energy being absorbed by the glass, whereas the side window angle will allow the impact to be deflected. This is probably not ideal, and I'd expect both top windows to sustain damage with hail over a certain size.

The SS skin on the frunk should do much better, but the sides will likely have no damage at all, given the impact hail of hail from above. An inflatable cushion cover would avoid any damage from hail.

Then you only have to contend with falling trees and be launched into the sky by a tornado.
Easier to move where these don't occur regularly. ;)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Here’s a caveat:

Both weight and air resistance depend on the size of the hail. So terminal speed increases with the radius of hail.

So baseball-sized hail, ironically, has a speed of about a baseball thrown by a top-tier Major League Baseball player. Hit at about 100 joules - equivalent to a well-loaded .22 caliber rifle.

now, just because the CT panels/glass are purportedly bullet resistant to a 9mm fired at range in a pistol, does not mean those bullets don’t shatter the glass, and nearly punch through the panel. A couple 9mm hit in roughly the same spot and they’re punching through, with little energy left.

Franz threw that steel ball like he barely meant it.

Give a dozen pro pitchers a couple hundred baseball-sized pieces of hail traveling at 90mph, and - just like bullet resistance - the person inside may survive, but you’re not gonna like the way the truck looks.

And smaller than baseball-sized hail won’t be any picnic, either.
Lol Synchronized brain patterns and all... maybe we should start our own CT site after all. :ROFLMAO:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
He looks like he's thinking: "Is this real life? Or is this heaven?"

I suppose you'd have the same look on your face sitting in the back of your CT with hail. :LOL:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

I was reacting to people saying that they wanted to hide their CT in a garage to protect it from hail. Now I admit that there is a lot of hail damage on a yearly basis. But when ice hits something solid, it tends to shatter. Additionally a steel ball is much more dense than an ice ball. So even if the hail is as large or noticeably larger than the steel ball Franz threw, the chances of it causing damage is much diminished from a "normal" automobile (including a rough and tough truck).

1: the demo we saw was for the side window glass with the presumption that the forward windscreen would be just as tough or tougher. But what of the glass above the cabin? Is it also made with the same level of strength?
2: Hail rarely comes down as a single stone by itself. So what would a sustained 1-2 minute hail storm do against a CT?

So given all that, I really have to question why people are worried about hail damage to their CT. If anything, I'd want to have a CT built big enough to encompass the house so the house is protected from hail. Perhaps the Tesla solar glass tiles match this description. Especially if the framing under the roof is built strong enough to handle the extra stress. From what I understand, the glass tiles are supposed to be strong enough to not worry about hail.
If it's breaking bones, it's doing more damage than Franz lightly tossing a steel ball.

https://denvergazette.com/outtherec...cle_88209d40-110f-11ee-904a-5f8e752eff06.html

And can we stop acting like the whole truck is made of Adamantium? Even if the glass magically survives. What about the lights? The plastics? The vault cover?

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
'Merica, 'course!
What's more 'merica than having a place to keep your expensive vehicle safe and instead, parking it outside so you can store your trinkets in there like the cave of wonders in Aladdin?

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Well, almost. 100 joules is about 74ft/lbs, and a moderate 22LR load is 130-180ft/lbs. And that is focused on just over .69 sq in. I would dare say that when Franz took the sledge hammer to the CT door, it was well above 180ft/lbs of impact. So if hail only logs in at 75-180ft/lbs of energy, then I don’t think we would be looking at any dents. The baseball hail has the impact spread out about the same as the sledge hammer. Smaller hail might be faster, but wil the lower weight, I don’t see any greater force. And a 9mm out of a pistol has 350-500ft/lb and that is focused on about 1.1 sq in.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
If it's breaking bones, it's doing more damage than Franz lightly tossing a steel ball.

https://denvergazette.com/outtherec...cle_88209d40-110f-11ee-904a-5f8e752eff06.html

And can we stop acting like the whole truck is made of Adamantium? Even if the glass magically survives. What about the lights? The plastics? The vault cover?
So how do garages and homes fare in this kind of hail?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697601039383

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697601123418

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697601285733

WHAT SIZE OF HAIL CAUSES ROOF DAMAGE?
Any size of hail can cause damage depending on the roof’s condition and the speed of the hailstones. In terms of resilience, metal roofs outperform asphalt. The following size guidelines give an idea of possible damage.

• ¾” Hail – Though the smallest hail we measure, it can still be devastating depending on wind velocity. Large hail destroys vinyl siding, window screens, metal fascia, and deck paint. It also damages asphalt shingles, gutters, and downspouts. Due to its small size, hail under one inch typically goes undetected
  • 1” Hail – After 1”, shingle underlayment is bruised, and siding, gutters, and fascia are severely damaged. Wind speeds will affect the level of damage, and roof damage will resemble that produced by smaller hail.
  • 1¼” Hail – The severity of hail increases by 14%. Hail can turn your roofing into swiss cheese. Even without wind, this hail will do damage by dropping from the sky.
  • 1½” Hail – Large hail causes substantial property damage. If you live in a hailstorm, you need to take precautions to protect your property.
  • 1¾ – 2” Hail – Now the hail is big enough to pierce softer roof components like ridge caps or plastic roof vents. When combined with wind, this size hail can completely remove siding, fracture windows, and damage most metal fixtures.
  • 2” Hail – Anything larger than this will severely damage your property. We no longer inquire “if” you have property damage, but “where.” Immediately after a storm, hire a roofing contractor with insurance experience.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697603558657

And then I found this info about the UL 2218 roof Impact Rating.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697603917173

Basically the test is to drop a steel ball to see if it causes any damage. Interesting that the Class 4 test looks very similar to what we saw Tesla doing to test their glass. Someone should ask what the class rating is of the CT glass and body panels. From what I've seen, it is far better than UL 2218 Class 4.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697604332937

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697604352838

Given the damage scales above, I'm still thinking that for any hail less than 3" I'm not worried about my CT. Far more important to deal with protecting my home than the CT. So unless I end up living somewhere that has 3" hail on a regular basis I'm not going to worry about hail damage. If something only happens once in a blue moon, then the best way to handle it is with insurance instead of living a life being scared of the random issue that most likely will not ever befall me.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
So how do garages and homes fare in this kind of hail?

1697601039383.png

1697601123418.png

1697601285733.png

1697603558657.png

Given the damage scales above, I'm still thinking that for any hail less than 3" I'm not worried about my CT. Far more important to deal with protecting my home than the CT. So unless I end up living somewhere that has 3" hail on a regular basis I'm not going to worry about hail damage. If something only happens once in a blue moon, then the best way to handle it is with insurance instead of living a life being scared of the random issue that most likely will not ever befall me.
Your house is susceptible either way. It doesn't change whether you park the truck inside or no. Your truck on the other hand is only susceptible if you park it outside. With a very slight chance (depending on your house layout) that it could still get messed up inside your garage.

I guess for you it might be a random issue that may never happen but you and others act like that's true for everyone.

We get hail every year multiple times a year.

My Y got 15k worth of hail damage this year and my house got 25k. Separate occurrences. (Car was parked outside).

For some of us it is constant

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Your house is susceptible either way. It doesn't change whether you park the truck inside or no. Your truck on the other hand is only susceptible if you park it outside. With a very slight chance (depending on your house layout) that it could still get messed up inside your garage.

I guess for you it might be a random issue that may never happen but you and others act like that's true for everyone.

We get hail every year multiple times a year.

My Y got 15k worth of hail damage this year and my house got 25k. Separate occurrences. (Car was parked outside).

For some of us it is constant
I get that it is "constant". But what exactly is the constant part? 2" hail or larger? Yes, a MY is going to get serious damage from hail. Just like any other normal vehicle. Park it in the garage. But if you have the choice between either the MY or the CT in the garage, I'm saying put the MY in the garage and don't worry about the CT. How often do you get 2" hail? Overall, 2" hail is reported as a 0.3% chance of occurrence. I get that all of that 0.3% chance might be in your neighborhood. But if you are getting that much large hail, I'm guessing your house roof has to be replaced multiple times per year.

One of the best parts of the CT is its resistance to damage. There are no other vehicles like it in the world. This extra protection is one of the main reasons I'm interested in it. In a couple years, I'll bet that a bunch of people living in hail prone areas will be choosing the CT explicitly for the hail protection.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I get that it is "constant". But what exactly is the constant part? 2" hail or larger? Yes, a MY is going to get serious damage from hail. Just like any other normal vehicle. Park it in the garage. But if you have the choice between either the MY or the CT in the garage, I'm saying put the MY in the garage and don't worry about the CT. How often do you get 2" hail? Overall, 2" hail is reported as a 0.3% chance of occurrence. I get that all of that 0.3% chance might be in your neighborhood. But if you are getting that much large hail, I'm guessing your house roof has to be replaced multiple times per year.

One of the best parts of the CT is its resistance to damage. There are no other vehicles like it in the world. This extra protection is one of the main reasons I'm interested in it.
Yes, but extra protection doesn't mean unbreakable.

We have had 892 severe storm warnings (1 inch or greater hail inbound).

And report of giant hail hit a record this year. 170 reports of 2 inch or higher hail.

And a record 5.25 incher.

Obviously everyone wants the toughness. But this anti garage stigma because the truck is tougher is silly.

You're free to use the truck your way. If you don't think anything will happen to it that's great. And honestly it probably won't. But what is gained from the garage shame?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) Screenshot_20231017-225254

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) Screenshot_20231017-225306

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) Screenshot_20231017-225405

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yes, but extra protection doesn't mean unbreakable.

We have had 892 severe storm warnings (1 inch or greater hail inbound).

And report of giant hail hit a record this year. 170 reports of 2 inch or higher hail.

And a record 5.25 incher.

Obviously everyone wants the toughness. But this anti garage stigma because the truck is tougher is silly.

You're free to use the truck your way. If you don't think anything will happen to it that's great. And honestly it probably won't. But what is gained from the garage shame?

Screenshot_20231017-225254.png

Screenshot_20231017-225306.png

Screenshot_20231017-225405.png
That's not unexpected. And all the global warming peeps will probably tell us that the incidences are going to rise even more.

But given the distribution of population over the area where those incidents are happening, how many times per year will any single vehicle (including it's replacement) be getting hit?

Here is some older data but it is for hail of at least 1" or more:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697605847349

There are quite a few 9's or 10's in there but I only see a single 15 (happens to be right in Colorado) and a couple 12's, 13's. And keep in mind this is for hail 1" or larger. Yes the 2" stuff happens but given the numbers of 2" hail incidents reported and spreading them over the whole eastern side of Colorado I'd guess it is rare for any single vehicle to get hit by more than 1 storm per year. And even at 2" I'd put money on the CT coming through that unscathed.

Now since the 15 on that map above looks to be right on top of Denver (or at least pretty near there), if I personally lived in that area, I'd be starting to look at alternatives to my current situation because the hail was getting to be too expensive to deal with and more of a hassle than it was worth.

And while I do live out here in the PNW at the moment, I'm not entirely inexperienced with the level of hail you are describing. I came from the midwest in an area that the map lists as a 10. While I may be sympathetic to your situation, I'm also hopeful that the CT we are talking about gives results that many (even here) do not seem to realize yet. While on this board, I'm only concerned with the CT and it's implications. Where you decide to live, the impacts that things like hail have on your life, I don't see as issues that we need to directly address here.

I also don't bring up floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, or tsunamis. Though I will be curious to see how the CT air filtration system will hold up to things like forest fire or volcano ash. Not being an ICE vehicle will greatly enhance the CT's ability to get around in those kinds of extreme situations. But if the filter gets completely blocked up by ash, what does it take to replace it and how will the cabin air end up?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

I'm addressing this separately.

I have no intention to garage shame. I do find it "silly" that so many people are living in seemingly constant fear of vandalism, bird poop, scratches, hail and who knows what else. I really don't relate to that fear.

And you ask what is gained? It's more like what is lost! Apparently so many people are living in fear that the CT had to be resized down to fit in what some people seem to think is a safe garage. And what was lost with that resizing? At a minimum, we lost bed size, and the 6th seat. Since we don't have the final specs yet, we don't know what else was lost during the resize. But if Tesla is trying to be tougher than the Ford Tough ICE vehicles, it seems silly that they are playing to the people living in fear of a little truck damage.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
That's not unexpected. And all the global warming peeps will probably tell us that the incidences are going to rise even more.

But given the distribution of population over the area where those incidents are happening, how many times per year will any single vehicle (including it's replacement) be getting hit?

Here is some older data but it is for hail of at least 1" or more:

1697605847349.png

There are quite a few 9's or 10's in there but I only see a single 15 (happens to be right in Colorado) and a couple 12's, 13's. And keep in mind this is for hail 1" or larger. Yes the 2" stuff happens but given the numbers of 2" hail incidents reported and spreading them over the whole eastern side of Colorado I'd guess it is rare for any single vehicle to get hit by more than 1 storm per year. And even at 2" I'd put money on the CT coming through that unscathed.

Now since the 15 on that map above looks to be right on top of Denver (or at least pretty near there), if I personally lived in that area, I'd be starting to look at alternatives to my current situation because the hail was getting to be too expensive to deal with and more of a hassle than it was worth.

And while I do live out here in the PNW at the moment, I'm not entirely inexperienced with the level of hail you are describing. I came from the midwest in an area that the map lists as a 10. While I may be sympathetic to your situation, I'm also hopeful that the CT we are talking about gives results that many (even here) do not seem to realize yet. While on this board, I'm only concerned with the CT and it's implications. Where you decide to live, the impacts that things like hail have on your life, I don't see as issues that we need to directly address here.

I also don't bring up floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, or tsunamis. Though I will be curious to see how the CT air filtration system will hold up to things like forest fire or volcano ash. Not being an ICE vehicle will greatly enhance the CT's ability to get around in those kinds of extreme situations. But if the filter gets completely blocked up by ash, what does it take to replace it and how will the cabin air end up?
Bio weapon defense mode is awesome and i recall seeing people driving through california fire areas with it on and being good.

But yea, i mean, leaving because of the hail isnt an option. I guess we just have to be more cautious. Hence the garaging of expensive vehicles. Because even 1 storm with 2" or more hail (let alone 5+ inchers) could be enough to damage the CT.

Hopefully i get caught in the hail one day and it has no damage and then i can rest easy. but until then, anything I spend 50k+ on will be hidden from the hail lol
Sponsored