Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Perhaps some company is locking them up to prevent theft of the cords for scrap metal thieves? Purely a guess. But it sure is a nice thought thinking how inexpensive it will be to charge.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
They're stupid to lock it up.

It's a waste of effort.

The lock is going to cost more than any possible loss.

-Crissa
IDK why youre dead set on people not locking things up?! if a lock is integrated into the unit, which many products already have, why not use it and prevent any issues that could arise? Seems stupid not to...

Or maybe this was your plan all along to drive around and use everone else's chargers and I just exposed you plan! Im on to you @Crissa , no free charging for you!! :eek:?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think an option for a simple lock isnt a bad idea but peresonally I dont think it's needed. If someone thinks they really need a lock, I'm sure it wouldnt be hard to add one or even install a switch so its off when not locked in your Tesla

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Maybe she’s really saying if you can afford a tri-motor and a roadster then you can afford to give away a little electric should that ever come up! ?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I mean I don't care about a couple dollars, but it's my couple dollars, it's my property and I will block their EV with my Cybertruck while i call the police for trespassing and theft.

If someone had no range and it was an emergency, I would be more than happy to help if they ask.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I live in an older neighborhood in a fairly urban city in the north. Many of the residential streets are just barely wide enough for one lane of cars parked on each side and one lane for each direction of travel. If I meet a car going the opposite direction in a place that has parked cars on both sides I slow down and grit my teeth. That's driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ever since I placed my CT order I've been very observant of how full size trucks navigate these roads. They don't seem to really be affected by it. If someone can drive a UPS truck on these roads the CT can definitely do it. I guess I'll just learn I don't need as much room as I think I do. I will watch the full size trucks this winter when the snowbanks grow and the lanes narrow. Maybe there's some tricks to it.

IceCold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
This forum acts like the Cybertruck is huge. To me it is certainly not small, but it is not that large either.

Really it is matter of perspective.

I have lived places that are so densely populated that even owning a car was a luxury and if you did own a car it was more convenient to drive something smaller than a midsize car.

I now live somewhere where It seems most women drive an Suv larger than the Cybertruck such as a Yukon XL. About the only one driving midsize or smaller cars are high school or college students.

So based on my experience the likey answer is what size do most of your neighbors drive. Most Americans buy the largest vehicles that they can conveniently park where they live, work and shop.

As far as the actual driving part of driving a truck after previously driving a car. The first day you will think you made a mistake. A couple days later you will be doing fine. A couple months later you will be backing into tight parking spots with ease when necessary.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Maybe locking things up is a pet peeve of mine. Just this knee-jerk 'But someone could use it!' leads to spending far more on fences and locks than any possible damages could have been.

It feels like an inefficiency peeve, but I'm not a fan of picket fences, either.

-Crissa

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Maybe locking things up is a pet peeve of mine. Just this knee-jerk 'But someone could use it!' leads to spending far more on fences and locks than any possible damages could have been.

It feels like an inefficiency peeve, but I'm not a fan of picket fences, either.

-Crissa
Sentry mode.

Problem solved.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think it really depends where you live. I know a lot of areas that I wouldn't want my vehicle even parked outside of the garage, so I could definitely see people having reasonable suspisions that someone might try to use their charger when they aren't home or overnight. I think most people buying a cybertruck are probably not in those areas and we can comfortably park our trucks outside and have a easy to use wall charger. I know someone who has a small shared parking lot for their condo and their parking space is against their townhouse. They were allowed to install a wall charger but they have found other cars using it and now they have to shut off the breaker when it's not locked in their M3

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
The kind that charge at home!

This is the difference between a gas/diesel truck and an electric Truck. You can leave a ICE truck out side FOREVER and not worry about it. The fuel gauge wind decrease over night or a month or longer.

however a Tesla loses power over night. Overhead protection in the hot summer causes massive battery drains. A CT is not the same as an ICE truck, and if you already own a Tesla, well... you already know this. They need to be shorter to park INSIDE the garage to be charged At home at night. Parked out of the sun and cold too.
plug it in outside. . #science.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Thanks for the laundry list, but if mine were outdoors on my property, i, personally, would lock it up. It prevents others from using when im not home, and also deters vandals as well. There are plenty of scenarios where a private parking spot is visible to the public, necessitating locking the device.

The fact is that many residential EV Charging companies are putting locks on their devices, so obviously there is a need. I dont come on the forum to argue, I'm just trying to give suggestions and help to others who may not have considered all their options.
I would suspect less of a need than an insurance company discount.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I think it really depends where you live. I know a lot of areas that I wouldn't want my vehicle even parked outside of the garage, so I could definitely see people having reasonable suspisions that someone might try to use their charger when they aren't home or overnight. I think most people buying a cybertruck are probably not in those areas and we can comfortably park our trucks outside and have a easy to use wall charger. I know someone who has a small shared parking lot for their condo and their parking space is against their townhouse. They were allowed to install a wall charger but they have found other cars using it and now they have to shut off the breaker when it's not locked in their M3
this is exactly the scenario i was referring to...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Someone else using it to top up during the day would be so little juice as to be...

40 amps (peak, not through) @ 240 volts is 9600 watts.

At even my high cost of electricity, 31¢ per kilowatt for solar/renewable only, that's not even $3 if someone taps in near empty and needs an hour.

Locking cabinets run around $500. Plus installation, which here is over $150/hr, plus destination fee (because you have to pay them to drive to your location) and so it would easily spend $600 extra to lock it up over the base install.

Someone would have to plug in for two hours, at zero battery charge, every day for four months to cost you the same amount.

It's just silly. Best to just let them charge or leave a venmo or something.

-Crissa