Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Can't argue taste. I personally like the CT and reserved a dual and FSD. But the CT does have a cost advantage over its competitors. The RT-1 is 69k and is competing really with a 500 mile tri-motor without FSD at $69.9k where the RT-1 is out classed.
But I guess if the traditional truck look matters and you are willing to pay more you will buy a RT-1 or GM endurance.
2022 will be an interesting year as these trucks will start arriving and folks make hard decisions as they part ways with $50-80K to buy one and they also size up the companies/infrastructure behind these vehicles (in 2022).
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Can't argue taste. I personally like the CT and reserved a dual and FSD. But the CT does have a cost advantage over its competitors. The RT-1 is 69k and is competing really with a 500 mile tri-motor without FSD at $69.9k where the RT-1 is out classed.
But I guess if the traditional truck look matters and you are willing to pay more you will buy a RT-1 or GM endurance.
2022 will be an interesting year as these trucks will start arriving and folks make hard decisions as they part ways with $50-80K to buy one and they also size up the companies/infrastructure behind these vehicles (in 2022).
My sister just bought an ICE truck to tow the large camper she bought. I had told her she should look into ordering a CT for this. She investigated and came back with the feedback that she just couldnā€™t get over the look of the truck so would not buy a CT. So I steered her to Rivian. Havenā€™t heard yet what her thoughts are there. Heaven forbid she likes a Hummer.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
..but just wondering, can a New company like Rivian that has never built anything, come out of the gate and have equal or better Battery technology than Tesla?
Interesting to look over this thread not even 6 months after it was launched.

No, Rivian will not come out of the gate with "better" battery technology than Tesla's. Does that matter? The truck's price will be same order of magnitude and its range same order of magnitude. It doesn't matter whether its batteries are "better" (what does "better" mean?). What matters is if its performance is adequate for the buyer's needs/desires.

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
The Rivian is a nice truck. I equate the R1T to a Tacoma. It appears to be a very capable light pickup that can haul and tow some, but itā€™s main purpose in life is adventuring travel. The CT is akin to a Raptor but with 3/4 ton truck work capabilities. If I didnā€™t need to tow long distance and wanted to spend more, the Rivian is a nice alternative. The issue Rivian will have is that the electric Hummer supposedly will be coming out and be direct competition. The CT is set aside from any direct competition as of right now.

I saw the TFL off-road guys drooling over the Ram TRX because of its hellcat engine and off-road suspension etc. It looks and sounds amazing. All I could think is these guys are drooling over that engine but they arenā€™t drooling over all the torque and torque vectoring that the CT will have. The TRX will come out and be in 3rd place immediately from a capability standpoint because of these electric trucks As long as Tesla Rivian GMC etc do the suspension right.
I agree. The gas-heads probably donā€™t even realize what they are missing. If I wanted an off-road dedicated truck, and value wasnā€™t an issue, Iā€™d buy a Hummer over the Rivian. If I wanted a capable all-around EV truck, Cybertruck is the only choice.
Sponsored