Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla will probably only put rear wheel steering on the more expensive models or offer it as an upgrade. I know Tesla likes to keep it simple but this one item they can probably leverage to substantially increase margins while honoring their low pricing from the reveal.
I totally agree with that, But for Tri I think there MAY be scope for an affordable 4WS

The tri is going to have 3 motors, but for the extra motor , Tesla may gain by the ease of installing 4 modular wheel assemblies instead of a different back end.

I'm thinking they would want to kick off the more expensive $70,000 price(75?) and maybe an uninterrupted production of 4WS will keep them busy for 2 years.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-----------------

Twice in one week, Fish fall out of sky over remote Australian desert town.
Last week of Feb 2010, Thursday and Friday the 650 residents of remote Australian desert town Lajamanu were bombarded by hundreds of white fish which fell out of the sky.
Nearest river is 326 miles away from Lajamanu. Meteorologists say conditions were perfect for a tornado in the region which could have sucked the fish up to 50,000-ft into the air from lakes hundreds of miles away.
By Fred Attewill
1 Mar 2010
https://metro.co.uk/2010/03/01/fish...emote-australian-desert-town-lajamanu-137859/

-----------------

Did it rain fish in Oroville, CA USA? Possibly Yes.
May 19, 2017
TV Channel KCRA3
https://www.kcra.com/article/did-it-rain-fish-in-oroville-possibly-1495171942/9878789

-----------------

How can it rain fish?
1. Fish are picked up from lake by water spout or tornado.
2. Cloud moves over urban area and drops fish.
20 August, 2004
By Edward Green, BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3582802.stm

-----------------

Fish rain from sky in Texarkana (Texas, USA)
It “rained fish” for a few minutes in Texarkana Wednesday afternoon as storms moved through the area. It happened around 4:30 p.m., according to James Audirsch, who works at the Orr Maxx used car dealership on Summerhill Road. He says he and his co-worker Brad Pratt heard loud noises and looked outside only to see fish falling from the sky. Small fish could be seen sprinkled throughout the parking lot of the dealership, as well as the one across the street and the tire shop next door. Some were 4-5 inches long and appeared to be young white bass.
Dec 29, 2021
KTALnews

-------

-----------------

Fish fall from the sky in coastal city of Tampico, Mexico.
Sep 28, 2017
KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas

-------

-----------------

BBC documentary series - Supernatural ( raining fish, frogs !!!!)
Selected excerpts, from the first episode, of the award winning 1999 BBC documentary series Supernatural.
Jun 17, 2008
DeafFret

--------

-----------------

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-----------------

** Even if your Cybertruck is out in the rural or wilderness area on a road near a lake or you are parked on the beach, be wary of planes overhead. Some drop FISH!!

*** The pilot says they will probably still drop the load of fishes even if there are people below in the expected impact area ***

-------

Fish drop from the sky into Colorado mountain lakes
Hundreds of fish being dropped out of an airplane is not something you see every day, but believe it or not that's how Colorado Park and Wildlife (CPW) is stocking hundreds of alpine lakes with trout. CPW said 330 alpine lakes in the northern half of the state received roughly 380,000 fish. About 70,000 of the fish – 65,000 cutthroat trout and 5,000 golden trout – took off in Sept. 2020 from the Granby Airport and were air-dropped into the pristine high-elevation lakes in Boulder, Grand, Jackson and Larimer counties.
Apr 12, 2021
9NEWS
Video provided by Colorado Parks and Wildlife

----

-------

In Utah (USA), it's raining fish
Fish stocks in hundreds of isolated lakes high in the Utah mountains are replenished via a novel approach – from the air. Correspondent Conor Knighton profiles the team responsible for delivering fresh fish by airplane.
*** fish will be dropped even if there are people in the way ***
Oct 24, 2021
CBS Sunday Morning

-----

-----------------

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
And that is why it's probably a good thing you don't work at Tesla. Because you would likely be in that 10% that's getting cut from the payroll. 🤷‍♂️
Thinking inside the box is probably right 85% of the time. Elon is still second guessing the gull wing doors on the Model X. KISS and no part is better most of the time. A telescoping arm is complicated and adds more failure points.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Thinking inside the box is probably right 85% of the time. Elon is still second guessing the gull wing doors on the Model X. KISS and no part is better most of the time. A telescoping arm is complicated and adds more failure points.
But... the BAW already has two wiper blades. A telescoping action would increase the amount of windshield that could be wiped. And would that really be more complex than two wipers already are?

-Crissa

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
But... the BAW already has two wiper blades. A telescoping action would increase the amount of windshield that could be wiped. And would that really be more complex than two wipers already are?

-Crissa
If it telescopes from the short stubby position it will require some sort of actuator and power to the actuator, plus a rail of some sort. All prone to road grit.

The dual blade design might have just been an effort to use industry standard replacement parts.

A one piece arm would be easier. Since it is vertical the air flow is already disrupted. Increasing the fixed length won't matter too much. I just don't see a real advantage making a telescoping wiper.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Or, the second part of the section was removed. I cannot zoom in close enough to see a deployment mechanism and thus have no idea which way the BAW goes.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Or, the second part of the section was removed. I cannot zoom in close enough to see a deployment mechanism and thus have no idea which way the BAW goes.
On my previous post I zoomed in. There is a sturdy fin for attaching the second half of the assembly. I would be very surprised to see anything but a fixed length that rotates. In earlier views the BAW has 3 sections. Probably to help it conform to the slight curve of the window.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
You missed the point I made. You must be able to think outside the box to determine the best solution.

You can't just say, conventional thinking is correct 85% of the time, so I only need to use conventional thinking. Because you would be wrong 15% of the time.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Does anyone see the rear wheel steering here (the second video)?

I don’t see the rear wheels turning…maybe it’s done by slowing down (or stopping at low speeds) the rear wheel that will act as a pivot and letting the opposing rear wheel to move at the same speed as the front ones?

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I don’t think rear steering will be standard, so maybe not ALL prototypes have it.

heck, I believe they give these for events in “valet mode” of sorts to keep from tail gate/ tonneau cover/ frunk access. You can SEE it, but not in access.

maybe it does rear wheel steering, but in valet mode that feature is canceled so you can’t do any fun stuff

the cybertruck is effectively just hardware running software, so it’s just programming allowing features or not.
Your theory about valet mode doesn’t make sense, you want the vehicle to steer as efficiently as possible to maneuver into tight spaces and removing that function for valet drivers would only increase their likelihood of hitting something when trying to park in a tight spot or driving in a narrow parking lot.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You missed the point I made. You must be able to think outside the box to determine the best solution.

You can't just say, conventional thinking is correct 85% of the time, so I only need to use conventional thinking. Because you would be wrong 15% of the time.
I don't think I missed the point. If all of Elon's employees spent a significant amount of their time trying to think outside the box (so they didn't get fired) they would not be very effective. Somewhere there is a pareto analysis to determine when thinking out of the box is required. Don't discount "the box " (learned history) Not everything needs to be novel for novel sake. Yes some problems require thinking outside the box, but evolution of history gets you pretty close most of the time.

I would agree I throw out % like candy. 95/5 , 80/20 conventional vs outside the box.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Your theory about valet mode doesn’t make sense, you want the vehicle to steer as efficiently as possible to maneuver into tight spaces and removing that function for valet drivers would only increase their likelihood of hitting something when trying to park in a tight spot or driving in a narrow parking lot.
I was purely calling it valet for familiarity. I am simply saying they can lock down things as they see fit. Teaneau cover, frunk.. no access. Can't go faster than 25mph, no rear wheel. Basically make it not fun to drive, don't try to show it off.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I was purely calling it valet for familiarity. I am simply saying they can lock down things as they see fit. Teaneau cover, frunk.. no access. Can't go faster than 25mph, no rear wheel. Basically make it not fun to drive, don't try to show it off.

Attachments

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
So now we will be rolling stubby. I am not impressed. There are 4 critical elements to a vehicle. You need to be able to go, stop, steer and see. I really feel like they are lacking in their ability to design a good aesthetic windshield wiper for the truck.
Sponsored