Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The BAW is here to stay. 99% sure. I overlaid the wiper rubber and butted it next to the end. (orange). It will reach the center camera even if it is the same size. Also there is nothing preventing a larger blade on the end section to reach even further.

You can also see a structural looking fin for the extension to attach to near the dudes mouth. The extension is simply missing.

I copy and pasted the same line (yellow) and overlapped it a little like it would be if telescoped out. It would not reach reach far enough. I don't think there is much advantage to a telescoping design. It would be more complicated and expensive and I don't think the aerodynamics would improve much. Somehow the short arm just looks worse than the larger wiper arm.

I think the wiper will be heated with an inductive circuit. The wiper arm and motor are grounded and power will be transmitted through the window inductively when it rests in the home position.

You can bet this design is in a lab some place with a wind tunnel, snow generator etc. Hopefully figuring out a way to eliminate blade chatter in various wind conditions.

One last thought. There are refills of rubber and refills of rubber in the blade holders. Many people replace the holder. I would really like it if Tesla focused on making the rubber blade refill method super easy. With millions of CT on the road tossing a 12 oz. blade holder assembly every 6 months would add up vs a 2 oz. blade. Make it super easy to change.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck (w/ 2 piece windshield wiper) trotted out for Tesla's Moss Landing Megapack Battery System commissioning ceremony! 1654953279242

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It is solved. Just fine tuning for reliability and performance. We will get a BAW. (Vertical parked bad ass wiper)

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm liking the direction of the BAW but it wouldn't hurt to refine it further. I'm thinking maybe a sheath or blade overtop of the blade to help with aero and for stylistic purposes.

Something like this that goes up the full length of the blades:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck (w/ 2 piece windshield wiper) trotted out for Tesla's Moss Landing Megapack Battery System commissioning ceremony! 1654971155358

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck (w/ 2 piece windshield wiper) trotted out for Tesla's Moss Landing Megapack Battery System commissioning ceremony! 1654971297997

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck (w/ 2 piece windshield wiper) trotted out for Tesla's Moss Landing Megapack Battery System commissioning ceremony! 1654971118167

I'm struggling to see how Tesla would go down the path of making the wiper telescopic.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Cannot think of any time I’ve ever heard people worry so much about windshield wipers.

We are buying a truck that looks like military surplus or a lunar explorer and people are obsessing over the wiper.
A windshield wiper with a single nut holding it in place. If you don't like the look of it. Take it off, and put it on as needed.:p
Just think of how much work it is to put on chains for snow vs. put on a wiper for moisture. I would imagine with that slanted windshield with Rain X on it, I wouldn't even need that wiper at all.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A windshield wiper with a single nut holding it in place. If you don't like the look of it. Take it off, and put it on as needed.:p
Just think of how much work it is to put on chains for snow vs. put on a wiper for moisture. I would imagine with that slanted windshield with Rain X on it, I wouldn't even need that wiper at all.
This is my thought too. Even here in Oregon.

I’m sure I’ll roll up in my Cybertruck. People will start talking about electric trucks. Then the conversation will naturally turn to wipers. Because nobody cares about range, hauling capacity, charging speed, efficiency, etc etc… first thing off the bat. “Well the F150 sure has a nice wiper…

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Cannot think of any time I’ve ever heard people worry so much about windshield wipers.
You're from Oregon and you say that?

...And the moment you take it off is the time you get pelted with some bird or some mud while you're out.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm struggling to see how Tesla would go down the path of making the wiper telescopic.
And that is why it's probably a good thing you don't work at Tesla. Because you would likely be in that 10% that's getting cut from the payroll. 🤷‍♂️

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The videos make me wonder what is going on with the front steering. Seems to me that those front wheels are pivoting rather quickly....Perhaps variable speed steering to make the yoke more practical at low speeds?
I'm glad someone else noticed this. It makes a lot of sense to have speed sensitive steering and I think that's what we are looking at. There is not another truck on the road with front wheels that quick and nimble, speed sensitive or not.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like may not be the latest prototype. I didn't see the rear wheel steering. Or maybe it was going too slow? I don't think so but idk much of that feature.
Tesla will probably only put rear wheel steering on the more expensive models or offer it as an upgrade. I know Tesla likes to keep it simple but this one item they can probably leverage to substantially increase margins while honoring their low pricing from the reveal.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I am sure a telescoping wiper will not happen on this half length wiper. It serves no purpose except to fill the information void.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
You're from Oregon and you say that?

...And the moment you take it off is the time you get pelted with some bird or some mud while you're out.

-Crissa
Yup

Or

1. you drive by a golf course, city park, lawn area, or really any irrigated/sprinkler watered area and a water sprinkler is out of alignment and vehicles on the adjacent public road could get water sprayed directly on windshield thus startling the driver or the dirty water from wet roadway obscures driver visibility.

2. An underground water pipe break causes wet area in public road and traffic is throwing dirty water on adjacent vehicles.

3. The is a building fire a couple blocks away but the water runoff from firefighting operation travels to the road you are on.

4. ICE vehicle is on fire and firefighting operation cause water in the remaining open traffic lanes.

5. Large ICE vehicle experiences a main cooling hose failure with resultant leak of coolant. Some standard pickup trucks have over 8 gallons while semi-truck tractor can be 20 gallons or more.

6. It is a bright clear rain-free with just a few clouds where you are but 1-300 miles away there is a severe storm with water spout on a lake/pond/river and in an instance you are still bright clear with few cloud except for 2 minutes you are being rained on (possibly with extras like real fish, frogs or even newts).

-----------------

'2021 is pulling out all the tricks': Fish rain from the sky in rare phenomenon in Texas
By Asha C. Gilbert
2021 Dec 31
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/12/31/fish-falling-from-sky-texarkana/9062273002/

-----------------

Great Lakes produce new record for waterspouts in one week
The Great Lakes produced a new high record in its number of 232 waterspouts from Sept. 28 through Oct. 4.
By Audrey Porter, Great Lakes Echo
2020 Nov
https://greatlakesecho.org/2020/11/04/great-lakes-produce-new-record-for-waterspouts-in-one-week/

Szulagyi said waterspouts are also a hazard to aviation because they cause severe turbulence for light aircraft and helicopters and are a danger to search-and-rescue and small planes. While they’re also dangerous to people along the shoreline, most usually dissipate when they move inland.

But what about aquatic life? Are they safe?
“Waterspouts are known to have sucked small fish out of the water — some call it ‘raining fish,’” Szulagyi said.

So it’s best to avoid waterspouts when on a boat, swimming, flying over the water or even hanging out on the beach, said Szulagyi.

Cappucci also said Florida is the number-one place in the world for waterspouts, especially near the Keys.

Waterspouts are most prevalent in August, September and October, and then start to die off as the weather becomes colder.

-----------------

Waterspout
A waterspout is an intense columnar vortex (usually appearing as a funnel-shaped cloud) that occurs over a body of water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

Threat to marine animals
Depending on how fast the winds from a waterspout are whipping, anything that is within about 90 cm (1 yard) of the surface of the water, including fish of different sizes, frogs, and even turtles, can be lifted into the air. A waterspout can sometimes suck small animals such as fish out of the water and all the way up into the cloud. Even if the waterspout stops spinning, the fish in the cloud can be carried over land, buffeted up and down and around with the cloud's winds until its currents no longer keep the flying fish in the atmosphere. Depending on how far they travel and how high they are taken into the atmosphere, the fish are sometimes dead by the time they rain down. People as far as 160 km (100 miles) inland have experienced raining fish. Fish can also be sucked up from rivers, but raining fish is not a common weather phenomenon.

Climatology
Though the majority of waterspouts occur in the tropics, they can seasonally appear in temperate areas throughout the world, and are common across the western coast of Europe as well as the British Isles and several areas of the Mediterranean and Baltic Sea.

They are not restricted to saltwater; many have been reported on lakes and rivers including the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Waterspouts are fairly common on the Great Lakes during late summer and early fall, with a record 66+ waterspouts reported over just a seven-day period in 2003.

They are more frequent within 100 kilometers (60 mi) from the coast than farther out at sea. Waterspouts are common along the southeast U.S. coast, especially off southern Florida and the Keys and can happen over seas, bays, and lakes worldwide.

Approximately 160 waterspouts are currently reported per year across Europe, with the Netherlands reporting the most at 60, followed by Spain and Italy at 25, and the United Kingdom at 15. They are most common in late summer. In the Northern Hemisphere, September has been pinpointed as the prime month of formation.

-----------------

U.S. National Weather Service ( Great Lakes region) Waterspouts
By Bruce B. Smith, Meteorologist, NWS Gaylord
https://www.weather.gov/apx/waterspout

3. What forecasts and warnings are issued by the National Weather Service to warn of waterspouts? Once the NWS has determined that waterspouts are possible, the threat is outlined in the Nearshore Marine Forecast and Hazardous Weather Outlook. The NWS strives to provide this information to the public 12 to 24 hours prior to waterspout occurrence. When waterspouts have been detected by Doppler Radar or reported by local law enforcement or spotters, the NWS issues a Special Marine Warning. Since it is not uncommon for numerous waterspouts to occur simultaneously over a large area, these warnings tend to cover larger geographic areas than land-based tornado warnings which generally cover a single county. In most cases, waterspouts which make landfall are much weaker than tornadoes, produce little or no damage, and dissipate quickly. Once on land, they tend not to be a great threat to life and property. In these instances, the NWS issues a Tornado Warning.

4. What should you do? Take waterspouts seriously. If you are a boater or a person living along the coast of the Great Lakes you should be aware of their destructive potential. When warnings are issued for waterspouts, be prepared to quickly seek safe harbor, or to find shelter out of the path of the waterspout.

-----------------
Sponsored

Last edited: