Cybertrucks are NOT rusting, just like my plastic trash can isn't!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Sorry if this has been hashed over and the subject is dead on here. I have been taking time off from here because I decided not to buy a Cybertruck at current prices (maybe in a few years when all the hype settles down). Anyway, I have seen lots of news about Cybertrucks rusting, and as a retired Sheet Metal worker I'd like to give my take on what is happening.
Today when I took out my trash. I saw rust on my plastic trash can, and realized it as a perfect example of what is going on. The trash container is NOT rusting. Metal particles had gotten on the lid when I used it to support a metal rod while I took a file to it a while back. Some metal shavings/dust was left there, and with recent rains all that metal rusted, leaving rust stains ON the surface of the plastic. The plastic is not rusting, just like the Stainless Steel Cybertrucks are not!
Somehow, in manufacture or transit, metal dust got on the SS surface of those Cybertrucks. Personally, I think Tesla should take care of the problem because it happened before delivery. But it really shouldn't be that big of a deal to remove the metal dust and clean up the rust stains.
BTW, many years ago while working with sheet metal I got a very small particle of metal embed in the surface of my eye. I went to a Dr. and they removed it from my eye, and unfortunately I waited a while before going to the Dr. and a rust ring had formed. The Dr, also had to clean that up. NOT FUN! Always wore safety glasses religiously after that.
Here are 2 photos of my plastic trash container with rust. Neal Young wrote a song about it. "Rust never sleeps"

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks are NOT rusting, just like my plastic trash can isn't! rustyplastic

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks are NOT rusting, just like my plastic trash can isn't! rustyclose
Sponsored

CarMan ElecTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LeftFoot RightFoot
Country flag
What would happen if you left this rust stain there for a long period of time?..

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
Sorry if this has been hashed over and the subject is dead on here. I have been taking time off from here because I decided not to buy a Cybertruck at current prices (maybe in a few years when all the hype settles down). Anyway, I have seen lots of news about Cybertrucks rusting, and as a retired Sheet Metal worker I'd like to give my take on what is happening.
Today when I took out my trash. I saw rust on my plastic trash can, and realized it as a perfect example of what is going on. The trash container is NOT rusting. Metal particles had gotten on the lid when I used it to support a metal rod while I took a file to it a while back. Some metal shavings/dust was left there, and with recent rains all that metal rusted, leaving rust stains ON the surface of the plastic. The plastic is not rusting, just like the Stainless Steel Cybertrucks are not!
Somehow, in manufacture or transit, metal dust got on the SS surface of those Cybertrucks. Personally, I think Tesla should take care of the problem because it happened before delivery. But it really shouldn't be that big of a deal to remove the metal dust and clean up the rust stains.
BTW, many years ago while working with sheet metal I got a very small particle of metal embed in the surface of my eye. I went to a Dr. and they removed it from my eye, and unfortunately I waited a while before going to the Dr. and a rust ring had formed. The Dr, also had to clean that up. NOT FUN! Always wore safety glasses religiously after that.
Here are 2 photos of my plastic trash container with rust. Neal Young wrote a song about it. "Rust never sleeps"

rustyplastic.jpg

rustyclose.jpg
I know plastic does not rust, but my asphalt driveway is rusting BAD!

I tried Windex and it's not helping!
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks are NOT rusting, just like my plastic trash can isn't! Unknow

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I know plastic does not rust, but my asphalt driveway is rusting BAD!

I tried Windex and it's not helping!
Unknown.png
Here you go!

Sponsored