Desperate for new Cybertruck news - Anything?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Just stumbled upon this from CNN.

1637343563958.png

Warning: This video will probably anger you. It did me.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/19/app-news-section/videos-of-the-week-mobile-november-19/index.html
Um... combine a self-described skittish driver with beta FSD and no previous Tesla driving experience and then send them down Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn NY. I must say, on the positive side, no one died. I used to live near Flatbush Ave and drove it on occasion. This is some of NY cities best driving adventure. Taxies will clip you while jockeying for position. Trucks will jump into oncoming traffic to just stop for a middle-of-the-road load/unload. Larger cars will back into parked cars and push them back further to make room for curb-side parking. All while people are driving 15 mph above the speed limit or more. Overall, it's a fun experience. I'd like to go back someday in my CT.

Anyway, not too surprised as to the results of the video. Though I am surprised CNN wasn't completely negative in their review. The most negative thing seemed to be that it was called Full Self Driving but that the driver wasn't able to take a nap.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Um... combine a self-described skittish driver with beta FSD and no previous Tesla driving experience and then send them down Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn NY. I must say, on the positive side, no one died. I used to live near Flatbush Ave and drove it on occasion. This is some of NY cities best driving adventure. Taxies will clip you while jockeying for position. Trucks will jump into oncoming traffic to just stop for a middle-of-the-road load/unload. Larger cars will back into parked cars and push them back further to make room for curb-side parking. All while people are driving 15 mph above the speed limit or more. Overall, it's a fun experience. I'd like to go back someday in my CT.

Anyway, not too surprised as to the results of the video. Though I am surprised CNN wasn't completely negative in their review. The most negative thing seemed to be that it was called Full Self Driving but that the driver wasn't able to take a nap.
CNN is testing FSD based on the promise of what Musk has said it is going to be. It is a fair and reasonable test of how close they are to Tesla’s final goal of “Full Self Driving”.

Tesla makes it pretty clear that the current state of FSD is beta and has set up some gates around it, Musk has promised fairly clearly that what CNN tested will be possible in the near future. In fact… he promised it would be possible by the end of last year at one point in time.

FSD has long been Tesla’s biggest embarrassment. It’s an expensive option which has never quite lived up to it’s price tag and was sold on the promise of future developments which have yet to materialize.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If a message has been predetermined, anyone can massage data to scare into believing.

Pandering to what people want to believe with no intention of moving a needle except through fear. Disappointing segment.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
CNN is testing FSD based on the promise of what Musk has said it is going to be. It is a fair and reasonable test of how close they are to Tesla’s final goal of “Full Self Driving”.
You cannot test a beta release in this fashion

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
This is exactly how the media evaluates public betas of software. Look at any iOS launch or Windows.
When a scientific approach is taken, I pay more attention. When the tester claimed the UPS truck was coming into his lane, later saying the car was going into the UPS oncoming lane. All the while ignoring the lane position the car was in. nudging the gas pedal when waiting at a left turn when the truck is blocking and then blaming FSD.

I am not upset at doubters, haters or disbelievers. I detest skewing presentations and scaring viewers in believing one thought train instead of presenting unbiased facts and letting the viewer make a determination for themselves.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Btw, FSD is not 100% in its current form. Knew when reserved the option, do not expect it will be 100% when receiving delivery. Current state does work for my freeway commuting needs where I will take over at residential and parking.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When a scientific approach is taken, I pay more attention. When the tester claimed the UPS truck was coming into his lane, later saying the car was going into the UPS oncoming lane. All the while ignoring the lane position the car was in. nudging the gas pedal when waiting at a left turn when the truck is blocking and then blaming FSD.

I am not upset at doubters, haters or disbelievers. I detest skewing presentations and scaring viewers in believing one thought train instead of presenting unbiased facts and letting the viewer make a determination for themselves.
I’m honestly conflicted about this whole thing. The following statements are both true:

Full Self Driving is an amazing innovation that is light years ahead of everyone else.

Full Self Driving is years behind what was promised and still doesn’t deliver on what Musk said it would do.

Which do you evaluate the beta on? If it’s a beta, it is supposed to be feature complete. It should be close to what the finished product will be with some bugs. This is not that close to the finished product. It’s not even entirely clear how long it will take to get from this half-product to the full deliverable.

If you are thinking of plonking down $10k on FSD, I think reviews like this are useful.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Tesla makes it pretty clear that the current state of FSD is beta and has set up some gates around it, Musk has promised fairly clearly that what CNN tested will be possible in the near future. In fact… he promised it would be possible by the end of last year at one point in time.

FSD has long been Tesla’s biggest embarrassment. It’s an expensive option which has never quite lived up to it’s price tag and was sold on the promise of future developments which have yet to materialize.
Not disagreeing with you.

I do find it interesting though that when I first started following FSD developments, the vast majority of people were pooh, poohing FSD saying that Elon was out of his mind if he thought he would ever get FSD to work at all. But lately, it seems that people are complaining about FSD saying that it's late and doesn't even work fully yet. My have sentiments changed.

To read between the lines of these sentiments it used to be that FSD was nearly impossible and would not be coming for multiple decades if ever. Now a couple of years later it's not only possible but needs to hurry up and get here.

I get that Elon overpromised on the timeline. But I can certainly see significant progress being made. And while I do want FSD to come ASAP, I'm perfectly willing to wait till it is fully baked before taking a bite.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here’s the problem I see with FSD.

Tesla is charging $10k for it.

Tesla fans want it to be evaluated as if it is an unreleased product.

For a media outlet, it’s a trap. If they evaluate FSD *as it is currently shipping* Tesla fans point to the beta and rave about how awesome the beta is. If they evaluate the beta, then Tesla fans complain that they are reviewing an unreleased product.

The only way to win is to not play?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The video starts of with woah, Woah, WOAH! Statement UPS truck ”coming onto our Lane.”

2:08, car is stopping at a green light when it should not. Did he mention the car to the right driving into the lane? The gate in the road is suspect to me And there is an improvement opportunity for Tesla there.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The video starts of with woah, Woah, WOAH! Statement UPS truck ”coming onto our Lane.”

2:08, car is stopping at a green light when it should not. Did he mention the car to the right driving into the lane? The gate in the road is suspect to me And there is an improvement opportunity for Tesla there.
A confession…. I didn’t watch the video. I don’t watch anything people post that says “This will make you angry”

** Ducks **