Does your console front USB work for anything other than power?

sgmorton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100DL+. M3P, CT
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
I added a new light show I am working on to a USB drive and tried to access from the USB inside the console. This does not work on my truck I was only able to access via the one in the glovebox. Since you cannot have custom lightshows and TeslaCam on the same USB drive this is less than ideal. I was wondering if anyone has used the front USB for anything other than power. Music? Custom Lock Sound? etc...
Sponsored

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I don’t know, but I will complain the usb ports are located in very awkward locations and it makes them difficult to use.

Known-Background

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ModelY, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
often only one usb connects to the actual computer car the others usually are just for power. it wasn't always like this but started sometime during the 2020's that only the glove box worked for this. just make sure the other outlets actually charge. at least that's what was going on for customers at some point. like they had to plug their video game controller into the glove box to link it.

Last edited:

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is another thread here on USB media where I got help. Basically you need to format one flash drive (or SSD) with more than one exFAT partition with a TeslaCam folder on one for Sentry/Cameras and your music/media on the other(s). Whenever it sees a non-TeslaCam partition it will reveal the USB icon and if there are more than one it will show them as separate devices. I am still experimenting.

I tried a USB-C flash drive in the front console but that does not work. The owners manual gives conflicting information in different places but I am not optimistic it will ever be for more than power.
Sponsored