Ego Zero Turn Mower

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
No grease? Not even the blade spindle? Hope it lasts.
Every 50 hours check the "Cutting Blade Flange" i.e. spindle bearing's grease level. It's a concave flange that is filled/topped off with gear grease as/if needed.
Sponsored

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I finally found an Ego Zero Turn on display at a Lowes. Sat in the seat and it was a firm no, much too small to be comfortable
It's usually easy to change seats. I bet the dealer would do it for you. For instance, spring-mounted, weight-adjustable, supporting arm or back rest, storage pockets, ....

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Every 50 hours check the "Cutting Blade Flange" i.e. spindle bearing's grease level. It's a concave flange that is filled/topped off with gear grease as/if needed.
Sounds right, except I'd check more often than 50 hrs.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I finally found an Ego Zero Turn on display at a Lowes. Sat in the seat and it was a firm no, much too small to be comfortable
Was it smaller than the seat in the video in post #10? That guy doesn't look exactly small and he fits fine. I noticed the suspension pre-load for the seat is adjustable with a knob and the seat slides back and forth to accommodate tall people.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Was it smaller than the seat in the video in post #10? That guy doesn't look exactly small and he fits fine. I noticed the suspension pre-load for the seat is adjustable with a knob and the seat slides back and forth to accommodate tall people.
Comparing to the "Grammer" seats that come on Walker Mowers and many other applications. The Grammer is an all day comfort workman's seat, 8 hours a day 6 days a week. That said, the Ego seat adjusts in many of the same manner, once adjusted to the riders weight, it is very forgiving and comfortable, it also has arm rests. At 6 foot tall, it is only pushed back mid way, there is plenty of slide (Fore/aft) and weight adjustability (seat suspension knob adjustability) for bigger people.

OP
OP
azjohn

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
It's usually easy to change seats. I bet the dealer would do it for you. For instance, spring-mounted, weight-adjustable, supporting arm or back rest, storage pockets, ....
The “dealer” in my area is Lowe’s, so I don’t think that would have happened

OP
OP
azjohn

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I can only assume the mower I saw had the same seat. It was a floor model at Lowe’s and I sat in the seat, leg room wasn’t bad but I had to lift both arm rests and comparing to a John Deere ZT wasn’t as wide and was physically smaller

I ended up buying a John Deere z540

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can only assume the mower I saw had the same seat. It was a floor model at Lowe’s and I sat in the seat, leg room wasn’t bad but I had to lift both arm rests and comparing to a John Deere ZT wasn’t as wide and was physically smaller

I ended up buying a John Deere z540
I know motorcycle touring saddles are very personal, what fit's one rider and provides all day comfort will change from rider to rider. It all comes down to which saddle avoids pressure points. The saddle just needs to be large enough to cradle the seating portion of the butt.

That said, I don't know any homeowner who cares if his lawnmower provides all day comfort or not. But, yeah, if you don't fit between the armrests then you can't use the armrests = not good! Still, a little surprised you were cross-shopping gas and electric riding lawnmowers based on seat size.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, if you don't fit, you don't fit.

Not sure I'd buy a lawnmower from Lowe's, though. Especially not a ride-on one. I'd want dealer support.

-Crissa

OP
OP
azjohn

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I know motorcycle touring saddles are very personal, what fit's one rider and provides all day comfort will change from rider to rider. It all comes down to which saddle avoids pressure points. The saddle just needs to be large enough to cradle the seating portion of the butt.

That said, I don't know any homeowner who cares if his lawnmower provides all day comfort or not. But, yeah, if you don't fit between the armrests then you can't use the armrests = not good! Still, a little surprised you were cross-shopping gas and electric riding lawnmowers based on seat size.
2 reasons I was cross shopping

1. it takes me a good 1.5 hours to mow the grass and want it to be somewhat pleasurable

2. When you are spending $5k on a mower you want to make sure you will be happy with. John Deere was the brand I was going with originally and than EGO came out with the ZT and gave it a look.

I did for a short time consider buying the Ego self propelled walk behind mower and after using the John Deere 4x so far I thought”what the hell was I thinking. So far I have used it once every week

OP
OP
azjohn

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag

Not sure I'd buy a lawnmower from Lowe's, though. Especially not a ride-on one. I'd want dealer support.

-Crissa
Compl
The only places I have seen Ego products is Lowe’s and Ace Hardware

Bought my JD from a dealer that is 5 mins from my house and they will come and pick it up for service if needed which will be every winter for me

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag

-Crissa
"If you don't fit, you don't fit" Gotta like that! :)

Realizing one size doesn't fit all and that's probably a good thing.
That said, the Seat on the "EGO Z6 Zero Turn" is a good one, it is one of it's selling points and one of the reasons to choose this model.
Again, it's not a Grammer Seat, yet it is a very comfortable seat, especially for this application.

We like supporting our local Ace Hardware dealer and they do provide servicing.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

-Crissa
Agree. I probably wouldn't need dealer support, especially for electric, but I would buy it at ACE. I used to love Eagle Hardware but they went downhill fast after they sold out to Lowe's.

hookemhorns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
I had one a week now, and mowed a couple of different yards, including my 1.5 acre yard. Could not be happier. Was hard to find, most Lowes around here do not have one and can't order.

I've seen somewhere it is called the "Tesla of zero turn mowers." I agree. Electronic control of steering sensitivity, blade speed, travel speed, tracking, and updates to the OS can be downloaded. Zero maintenance except to keep it clean, perform checks on safety (secure bolts, for example), and checking grease on the blade spindle. Blades are simple to change (already tried it once), it is deadly quiet when driving and much quieter than my old gas ZTR when blades are spinning. 42 inches is on the low end for this class, but it's so much fun I didn't notice the difference from my old 52 inch. Serious lights, really can be used at night. Super fast in travel mode. Seat was very comfortable and easy to adjust.

Just saying, with removable lithium ion batteries to use on other tools in the line made it all that much better a choice for home yard maintenance. And a 5 year warranty, even on the batteries if you register.

I agree, feels like the mower version of my MS.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
I had one a week now, and mowed a couple of different yards, including my 1.5 acre yard. Could not be happier. Was hard to find, most Lowes around here do not have one and can't order.

I've seen somewhere it is called the "Tesla of zero turn mowers." I agree. Electronic control of steering sensitivity, blade speed, travel speed, tracking, and updates to the OS can be downloaded. Zero maintenance except to keep it clean, perform checks on safety (secure bolts, for example), and checking grease on the blade spindle. Blades are simple to change (already tried it once), it is deadly quiet when driving and much quieter than my old gas ZTR when blades are spinning. 42 inches is on the low end for this class, but it's so much fun I didn't notice the difference from my old 52 inch. Serious lights, really can be used at night. Super fast in travel mode. Seat was very comfortable and easy to adjust.

Just saying, with removable lithium ion batteries to use on other tools in the line made it all that much better a choice for home yard maintenance. And a 5 year warranty, even on the batteries if you register.

I agree, feels like the mower version of my MS.
Enjoy the purchase, hope the following helps.
Just completed it's first full season, every condition throughout the year, mostly all mowing and finished up pulling a thatching rack multiple times across this 1-1/2 acre lawn. 55 flawless hours of operation on the hour meter. This was a sound purchase.
Sponsored