Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/tru...omas-edison-as-one-of-our-great-geniuses.html

Trump says Elon Musk is like Thomas Edison: ‘He’s one of our great geniuses’

January 22, 2020

• “We have to protect our genius,” President Trump told CNBC’s Joe Kernen from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
  • Musk is “one of our very smart people, and we want to cherish those people,” Trump said.
  • The president said Musk is not only good at electric cars. “He does good at rockets, too, by the way. I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything, and they’re landing.”
President Donald Trump told CNBC on Wednesday that Elon Musk is one of the world’s “great geniuses,” he likened the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX to Thomas Edison.

Musk is “one of our great geniuses, and we have to protect our genius,” Trump said in an interview with “Squawk Box” co-host Joe Kernen from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

“You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison and we have to protect all of these people that came up with originally the light bulb and the wheel and all of these things. And he’s one of our very smart people and we want to cherish those people,” the president said.

In a 2008 interview, Musk said Edison and Nikola Tesla, for whom he named his electric auto company, were both role models, but he preferred Edison. Tesla, the scientist, was a rival of Edison.

Trump’s comments on Musk come as shares of Tesla have surged recently, more than doubling since late September, and hitting all-time high after all-time high. The stock market value of Tesla set to reach $100 billion. Its market capitalization is greater than those of General Motors and Ford combined.

Tesla stock has been on a tear after the electric car maker announced a surprise profit in its third-quarter earnings report in October. Back then, the stock was just more than $250 per share.

Musk’s now-infamous “funding secured,” Aug. 7, 2018, tweet sent the stock soaring, but it also marked the beginning of a chaotic ride for the company and Musk. In the 16 months that followed, Tesla stock bottomed at a three-year low just under $177 per share in June before boomeranging back up.

Trump recalled those rough times. “You go back a year and they were talking about the end of the company. And now all of a sudden they’re talking about these great things.”

In CNBC’s interview on Wednesday, the president also marveled at what Musk’s commercial company SpaceX has accomplished with rockets that land themselves.

“I spoke to him very recently, and he’s also doing the rockets. He likes rockets. And he does good at rockets, too, by the way. I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything, and they’re landing. I said I’ve never seen that before,” Trump said.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes, Mr. Frank W., we must encourange Tesla, Mr. Elon Musk, by buying his EV ... Also, because he will spread SpaceX to give 5G ... So, that will replace the chineese Huawey company...!!!

OP
OP

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Yes, Mr. Frank W., we must encourange Tesla, Mr. Elon Musk, by buying his EV ... Also, because he will spread SpaceX to give 5G ... So, that will replace the chineese Huawey company...!!!
I couldn’t agree more with you and I fully support everything that he is involved in. He is disrupting so many industries and it seems like even the smallest things are being reimagined and upgraded. If there’s a way to make something better then he puts the right people on the mission. Truly thinking outside of the box!

He has so many people who hate what he is doing for whatever their reason but he still succeeds. I see another article this morning concerning the level that people will stoop to trying to bring all of his companies down.

https://apple.news/AiAMn8PaKT3iPzAulSGna8w

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I don’t want to start political grievances here on our CT club, but I would like to raise a point.
It’s interesting that after the 3 plus years of ignoring sustainability, ignoring environment,promoting oil and coal, and ignoring science, that the pres is all about Tesla.
Elon is a genius, but so are many others that change perspective and promote new ideas. We just need to be humble enough to listen.
If these declarations made by the pres are truly what he thinks, then involve these geniuses in decisions and actions that truly could change the way our world works.

Could also be an indication that the pres just wants s CT, like all of us...

Heads up Elon, the bat phone is ringing....

OP
OP

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I don’t want to start political grievances here on our CT club, but I would like to raise a point.
It’s interesting that after the 3 plus years of ignoring sustainability, ignoring environment,promoting oil and coal, and ignoring science, that the pres is all about Tesla.
Elon is a genius, but so are many others that change perspective and promote new ideas. We just need to be humble enough to listen.
If these declarations made by the pres are truly what he thinks, then involve these geniuses in decisions and actions that truly could change the way our world works.

Could also be an indication that the pres just wants s CT, like all of us...

Heads up Elon, the bat phone is ringing....
I agree with you and whether or not Climate Change is real or not, being good stewards of the earth seems like a no-brainer to me.
Definitely want to leave politics at the door here. Wouldn’t it be something to see any president in the CT!

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I agree with you and whether or not Climate Change is real or not, being good stewards of the earth seems like a no-brainer to me.
Definitely want to leave politics at the door here. Wouldn’t it be something to see any president in the CT!

[/https://apple.news/AdISewRwETZGFiPEVyixScg
Check this one frank.
Imagine the entire brigade of presidential limousines and secret service vehicles being CT s.
Hell, all us gov vehicles. That my friend would be badass.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
This is where I sit on climate change. Even if it is not real or not human caused, then we cleaned our air, land and water for our better health, enjoyment of nature and for our next generations to benefit not to mention the better financial situation of creating our own power, growing our own food and reducing our consumer and improved mental health. It is a win-win-win to be more sustainable in our life.

OP
OP

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
This is where I sit on climate change. Even if it is not real or not human caused, then we cleaned our air, land and water for our better health, enjoyment of nature and for our next generations to benefit not to mention the better financial situation of creating our own power, growing our own food and reducing our consumer and improved mental health. It is a win-win-win to be more sustainable in our life.
Nicely said.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Quote from original article, "You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison and we have to protect all of these people that came up with originally the light bulb and the wheel and all of these things. And he's one of our very smart people and we want to cherish those people,"

Sharing without comment so each reader can form their opinion on the quote.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Quote from original article, "You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison and we have to protect all of these people that came up with originally the light bulb and the wheel and all of these things. And he's one of our very smart people and we want to cherish those people,"

Sharing without comment so each reader can form their opinion on the quote.
I am sure everyone here already has an opinion on President Trump. Everyone in the world has an opinion of him. He is as polarized in opinion as the CT is. Visceral hatred or evangelical approval.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am focused on the statement.

Edison and Tesla being friends, protecting the person who invented the wheel, there are more oddities in the statement.

The comment is divorced from how I evaluate the president and I prefer when others form their opinions on data and not me telling what to believe. Unless, it is about how awesome the function and design is for the CT.

AA-ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra, Dual-Motor CT
Country flag
IMHO, when the President speaks on something, generally the wheels are already in motion behind the scenes. I would be willing to wager that Elon and POTUS discussed the EV tax credit as well as the construction of a "tri-state" area GIGAFACTORY, and are hopefully negotiating those two items. Elon hinted at this on twitter in response to a user from West Virginia. Seeing as how all of this is speculation, the bottom line is this: what's good for the US economy is good for Tesla. I am glad that Telsa is doing well and is being recognized for it. Also, the foundation of a friendship here may be of relevance, particularly concerning SpaceX and its potential involvement with the DOD's Space Force.
Lastly, to those who were so reluctant to trash POTUS on Electrek: if you were to have owned stock in Telsa on Nov. 6th 2016, your stock value has increased by roughly 183% as of yesterday.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/22/trump-tesla-build-factory-us/
Sponsored