Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That's... Well, it might be true, but there's a different crew every season. And the vast majority of what they do is bad, and has always been that way.

But looking back, you get to pick out the good things, and only see those, instead of the hours of bad that was between those moments.

-Crissa
I have YouTube for watching stuff like SNL. It gets recorded each week but I mostly just watch the cold open (usually the most clearly political take on something that happened in the last few days) then Weekend Update. Beyond that, if it’s a guest I’m curious about I might watch their intro or maybe a skit or two.

I have no illusions of SNL being a great show. They do make interesting points periodically though that I find interesting. For political satire, the best I’ve seen was The Colbert Report. With a quick second place being John Stewart on The Daily Show. The years they were back to back, nothing else even came close.

Now though, the best out there is probably John Oliver on Last Week Tonight. Not always so funny but the depth he goes into topics and the lavishness of his commitment is worthy of a look see. Beyond that, everything is an also ran in my book.

The thing about SNL is that it has been around practically since the beginning of time (time started in the 70s right?). Because of this the rest of media reacts to what happens on SNL so it’s kind of a cultural touchstone. That status gives it a credence that no other political comedy has. It’s no longer about being funny. In some ways it is more about showing up. I do wonder though if that will all end if Lorne Michaels is gone someday.
Sponsored

FrostyCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, 21' & 22' M3 LR, CT res.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
Elon did great on SNL

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
For political satire, the best I’ve seen was The Colbert Report. With a quick second place being John Stewart on The Daily Show.
I couldn't agree with you more on your TV selections. I LOVED the Daily Show followed by the Colbert Report. I still watch the Daily Show with Trevor Noah. It's not the same as with Jon, but it's still good. I like the international perspective Trevor brings. I also love John Oliver's show. Never miss it. Cobert is still good on the Late Show, but I miss the satire of the Report.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I never could stand the Colbert show. I'd watch it on Youtube sometimes, but... *shudder* On A Late Show, he's more himself - especially this last year where it's been filmed mostly from his house - and I've really enjoyed that.

Right now we're also kinda spoiled for choice, which makes SNL seem like an anachronism. But there really is a place for that in-the-moment playfulness. (That's one of the things I like about Burning Man.) I can see its value, even if I can't really participate.

-Crissa

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
Best guess is that his dismissive attitude about COVID pisses many people off. His $32,000,0000,000.00 earnings, so far, in 2021 are insane. Our nation is pretty strange when the 50 richest people hold the same amount of wealth as the bottom 186,000,000 citizens.

I do not begrudge Elon's wealth. I love the product, Space X and the teams that are keeping America in the game.
Dude, it is simple, Elon dont share his weed and coke.a.cola
Sponsored