Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Wind tech
Country flag
I am not expecting the CT to be able to compete with a Rubicon or Gladiator off road especially rock crawling, only vehicle I can think of is the new Bronco
I wonder if the ct will be kinda like the ford raptor that's a very capable off road vehicle
Sponsored

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
The exoskeleton appears to be a mix of gauges. The exterior is 3-4mm 304L and that would be scored and bent. interior pieces appear annealed and work hardened by stamping. The internal pieces may be slightly thinner gauges. The components are assembled and welded but welds are not located near the outside viewing surfaces because they would discolor the cosmetic surfaces unless Tesla intends to re-sand and pickle the exoskeleton.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
They make some amazing industrial adhesives. Maybe use an adhesive with self piercing rivets to hold some sections together. I am super fascinated on how they are planning to assemble the exoskeleton of the brand new Cybertruck in a brand new assembly plant.

Self-Piercing Rivets

National Rivet’s exceptionally strong self-piercing rivets surprise some people with their capabilities to fasten parts without the need for preformed holes.

Use self-piercing rivets to join similar or dissimilar materials, such as steel, stainless steel, aluminum, brass and certain plastics and fibers. Self-piercing rivets often provide the best fastening solution when spot welding is difficult or impossible, such as with zinc-coated steel (automotive, HVAC and building applications), pre-painted metal (white goods) and aluminum (signs).

Self-piercing rivets join two or more layers of material. The rivet first pierces the top layer of material. The anvil then upsets the rivet and causes it to flare within the bottom layer, thus forming a mechanical interlock.“

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk teases ‘lots of improvements’ for the production Cybertruck AB6899CA-C501-4D8C-BADF-E5D11C165C8B

Gargoile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
teslas Achilles heel in this is the already existing supercharger network. It is costly to keep upgrading these units. Sure other manufacturers will offer their vehicles with 350w charging, but where will you actually charge them? Unless they are also going to invest millions in a charging network like Tesla has, it will be moot. Your home charger wont be that fast, nor will it need to be.
Think outside the box on your thoughts of charging the CyberTruck. Yes it will have the ability to charge at the Superchargers, but since CyberTruck will be made "in theory" at the same factory as the Tesla Semi. Will it will have the ability to charge at the same locations as the Tesla Semi.

That said, where are you going to charge the Semi? You won't see a Tesla Semi backed into a Super Charger location in the future. I predict that Semi charging stations will show up at the current major truck stop locations, be it TravelCenters of America or Pilot/Flying J stations etc ( no need to reinvent the tractor trailer support network). And CyberTruck could have the ability to charge at these semi locations at the higher charge rates that the Semi will need.

If the CyberTruck is towing, not all Super Charger locations have the real estate to accommodate a truck and trailer combo. And an established truck stop facility can add these higher charging stations to their locations. Thus giving the CyberTruck the best of both worlds.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Tesla is being tight lipped about the “lots of improvements” for competitive reasons since it’s still roughly a year before production begins. It was the same routine when they debuted the CT at the Peterson Museum. The truck was roped off and they installed black wheel well coverings to prevent anyone from seeing the prototype suspension bits.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk teases ‘lots of improvements’ for the production Cybertruck F290D0DB-B2FD-458F-A6B3-8FA859E35EC2

Last edited:

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla is being tight lipped about the “lots of improvements” for competitive reasons since it’s still roughly a year before production begins. It was the same routine when they debuted the CT at the Peterson Museum. The truck was roped off and they installed black wheel coverings to prevent anyone from seeing the suspension bits.

F290D0DB-B2FD-458F-A6B3-8FA859E35EC2.jpeg
You are right on. These models are prototypes and not the CT that will be built. The basic design sure, but too many tweaks are going to be made before CT goes into production.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the final version.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk teases ‘lots of improvements’ for the production Cybertruck f290d0db-b2fd-458f-a6b3-8fa859e35ec2-jpe

These wheel covers look cool, but will be destroyed quickly against any curb or while spinning in the mud or sand.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Only the competitors ?

Or all the Hummer buyers who possibly take delivery before the CT is finally revealed and delivered.

Of course they might be disappointed even later as it looks like the Hummer may turn out to be vaporware.

I was actually looking forward to seeing the Hummer but after the reveal I came away with a shrug. What a letdown.

But I’m all in on CT so if the Hummer motivates the CT team to make an even better vehicle then I'm in.

Last edited:

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I believe it is very unlikely the raised triangle area will be retractable or foldable. It is believed and widely accepted that these triangles are structurally required because of the uni-body construction.
The sail triangles MIGHT be structural. But I have seen nothing that confirms that.
Just like in a building, some walls are structural and some not. You have to have an engineer look at the design, specifications and loads.
Has Elon or anybody on the Tesla engineering team said specifically that the sail triangles are structural?

Even if the sail triangles where initially designed to be structural that does not mean that is the only structural way the cabin-bed jointing can be done and still get the payload & towing ratings desired.

For example if sail triangles were structural an alternative design might be to use an additional stainless steel wall in the bed sides. Then sail triangles could be removable. Yes, it might add a little more weight than using integrated sail triangles but if now the Cybertruck can use 5th wheel trailer it gets many more immediate buyers (and these are high dollar spending ones too) and increases resale value because the truck can be used in more activities. The Cybertruck payload and towing capability overlaps some of the expensive Superduty (Ford F-250, Chevy/GMC 2500, RAM 2500) truck range where a lot of customers buy Superduty just to get good 5th wheel support. Cybertruck might easily support the lower end of that range where a lot of money is spent.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I am not expecting the CT to be able to compete with a Rubicon or Gladiator off road especially rock crawling, only vehicle I can think of is the new Bronco
I too do not think Cybertruck can really compete with Jeep Rubicon, 2021 Bronco and similar vehicles because they have much shorter lengths. There are places longer trucks can not physical fit. For off-roading or Baja, Cybertruck competes more with Ford F-150 Raptor, RAM Rebel, RAM TRX which all have similar longer wheel bases.

Last edited:

Jensengary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Wind tech
Country flag
I too do not think Cybertruck can really compete with Jeep Rubicon, 2021 Bronco and similar vehicles because they have much shorter lengths. There are places longer trucks can not physical fit. For off-roading or Baja, Cybertruck competes more with Ford F-150 Raptor, RAM Rebel, RAM TRX which all have similar longer wheel bases.
If the CT can compete with the raptor or similar trucks that's what I'm looking for

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
How do you think this will be implemented?
Sponsored