Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
It's plausible, but Tesla/Elon hasn't mentioned any. People have built them.

It would be a very welcome feature. Todd the Cybertruck Truck Guy calls it 'dynamic charging'.

-Crissa
I would love to have dynamic charging on my CT. I’ve seen a number of others express the same desire. But so far there has been no indication from Tesla that such a feature is even being discussed.

Elon has said yes to powering a trailer / camper with a CT. From the way the tweet was worded though it is difficult to know for certain if Elon was saying that the battery in the CT could be used to power the trailer or if a battery in the trailer could be used to add charge to the CT. I took it to mean the former but I want the latter to be possible.
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag

It would be a very welcome feature. Todd the Cybertruck Truck Guy calls it 'dynamic charging'.

-Crissa
Yes, it would be very welcome on such a big battery pack. The Nissan Leaf has been optionally delivered with it since 2016 and it is a noted feature on all of the new Hyundai Ioniq 5s. It will be standard in the industry, I just hope the CT was planned with it (and not just the sockets in the bed).

NiceGuyMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Electro/Mechanical Tech
Country flag

-Crissa
I'd call it damn good charging. :geek:

mlee168

First Name
Mon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Plugin
Country flag
Makes you wonder what's really the difference between a tiny home and an RV :unsure:
Not a whole lot. Primarily these are the differences:
1. Tiny homes are not design to be moving around. It doesn't have a lot of hold down and special locking cabinet, etc.
2. Tiny homes usually are hard lined into the utilities.
3. Trailers are more aerodynamic with an integrated towing mechanism. Not all tiny homes have that.
4. Tiny homes look like a house more.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
it is a noted feature on all of the new Hyundai Ioniq 5s. It will be standard in the industry, I just hope the CT was planned with it (and not just the sockets in the bed).
You are totaly right LoPro !

If Tesla does not provide a powerfull outlet (3Phase 11kW bidirectional, they have the build in charger anyway) they are no longer an "industy leader" imho.

Actually I would rather buy a (used or totaled) Ioniq5 (still no specs though) than a powerwall (;-) Even the cute Honda-e has 220V 2kW.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You are totaly right LoPro !

If Tesla does not provide a powerfull outlet (3Phase 11kW bidirectional, they have the build in charger anyway) they are no longer an "industy leader" imho.

Actually I would rather buy a (used or totaled) Ioniq5 (still no specs though) than a powerwall (;-) Even the cute Honda-e has 220V 2kW.
Maybe we are lucky here in the U.K. but power cuts (outages) are rare, well I guess until everybody is driving EV’s but having the option of using the CT as a power bank in an emergency would be a massive bonus, I have solar PV and I’m looking into battery storage however it’s very expensive whereas for those rare occasions we lose power having the CT sitting in the garage with a full charge would be a godsend. also having a log burner as a heating source and not using the heat pump the CT would only be keeping the lights on, cooker and fridges etc running and of course the internet up and running.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
What I'll be more impressed with is if you can get a camper with a tesla battery pack (or three) in the bottom of it you can plug into the CT and extend its range.
Agreed on the batteries in the bottom of the trailer. I think that's a given. That and imagine all the additional horizontal area to install PV panels on that trailer. Between what the truck can be upgraded with, and that trailer.... add in a solar canopy and all should be awesome. I'm not a huge fan of a trailer, but I wonder if that truck couldn't park that trailer on its own, in the worst of conditions. That could be a wild card for Tesla. peace

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Maybe we are lucky here in the U.K. but power cuts (outages) are rare, well I guess until everybody is driving EV’s but having the option of using the CT as a power bank in an emergency would be a massive bonus, I have solar PV and I’m looking into battery storage however it’s very expensive whereas for those rare occasions we lose power having the CT sitting in the garage with a full charge would be a godsend. also having a log burner as a heating source and not using the heat pump the CT would only be keeping the lights on, cooker and fridges etc running and of course the internet up and running.
We are divided by water but thinking a like.

I judge the power outlets of any EV by a possible usage as house/home power backup.
Therefore it has to be at least 2kWpeak and 0,5kW continious for 12 hours.

For my PV System I choose to max out the installed kWp (22kWp) instead of buying a pricy battery.
Power outages are not a problem where I live (most cables are layed under ground).

Sadly we do not have the possibility for net metering in Germany.
Just sell at 7 cent and by at 30 cent :(.
Using the EV Battery at night regulary can maximise your level of grid independance, by using your PV energy from a sunny day..... Granted you will need a grid disconect (not common in Geremany).

With a big heavy duty 4680 (TriMot) it should work for longer than a normal (overpriced) powerwall.

mattcatt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-3, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Looks like an awesome retirement option! Some people retire onto cruise ships full time, some stay where they are, and some go RV~ this looks like a great upscale mobile option to see the continent part time or full time! Forget all these van-bros out there, this is sweet.
Sponsored