ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2021/03/11/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-power-camper-elon-musk/

Elon Musk: Tesla Cybertruck electric pickup will be able to power a camper

Elon Musk confirmed that Tesla Cybertruck owners will be able to power a camper with their electric pickup trucks.

When unveiling the Cybertruck, Tesla announced some impressive specs, including a range of up to 500 miles and a towing capacity of up to 14,000 pounds:

With the ability to pull near infinite mass and a towing capability of over 14,000 pounds, Cybertruck can perform in almost any extreme situation with ease.

That kind of capacity will enable the Tesla Cybertruck to tow a variety of different trailers and campers with zero emissions at the tailpipe.

It got a lot of people excited about the prospect of traveling with a Cybertruck and a camper using the electric pickup truck’s large battery pack to both move and live.

On Twitter today, Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that the Cybertruck is going to have the capacity to power a camper:

It would mean that Cybertruck could have some bidirectional charging capacity on top of the power outlets in the back.

Those power outlets were already seen as useful for a camping situation and Tesla already unveiled a camper configuration for the Cybertruck, but you would need more power for a bigger situation like a full-size camper.

Combined with a deployable solar system on the camper, someone could have a setup that enables them to go off-grid camping with Cybertruck.

Musk said that Tesla is planning a “sick attachment for the Cybertruck,” and the automaker released this render of the electric pickup truck with its own trailer, but it didn’t look like a camper.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk: Tesla Cybertruck electric pickup will be able to power a camper Tesla-Cybertruck-trailer-1500

Whether or not Tesla comes out with its own camper for the Cybertruck, the electric pickup is likely going to be used by some owners with third-party campers.

Model 3 has already spurred several aftermarket companies focusing on the vehicle, and Cybertruck has the potential to do the same.
Sponsored

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Hopefully the trailer will come as a separate "power plant" with anywhere from 300-500Kw of energy storage.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I didn't realize this would even be a question. We already know the CT will have 110 and 220 outlets in the bed. wouldn't be much of a stretch to think you could plug you trailer into it instead of the outlet box at the campsite.

what ill be more impressed with is if you can get a camper with a tesla battery pack in the bottom of it you can plug into the CT and extend its range.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I just want Tesla to release this camper option on Day 1 ($8,000 to $10,000 option). I think the GAME CHANGER is if Tesla can figure out V2H (vehicle to home) charging for power outages. A 200kHw battery could easily charge a home for 3 to 4 days straight. When you run low, drive to the Supercharger station and top off...then come back home and continue to power your home.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk: Tesla Cybertruck electric pickup will be able to power a camper Tesla-Cybertruck-camper

Last edited:

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I didn't realize this would even be a question. We already know the CT will have 110 and 220 outlets in the bed. wouldn't be much of a stretch to think you could plug you trailer into it instead of the outlet box at the campsite.

what ill be more impressed with is if you can get a camper with a tesla battery pack in the bottom of it you can plug into the CT and extend its range.
Agree. I noticed the article implies "charging" your tiny home/camper as opposed to just simply powering it up over the 220v temporarily.

It would mean that Cybertruck could have some bidirectional charging capacity on top of the power outlets in the back.
Typical of elektrek to make good use of their "Jump to Conclusions Mat" (ala Office Space) based on a single Elon tweet.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Typical of elektrek to make good use of their "Jump to Conclusions Mat" (ala Office Space) based on a single Elon tweet.
Yeah they do take a simple tweet and go off an odd direction that has nothing to do with the tweet.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i really really hope they make it easy to attach solar, make off grid easy

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Makes you wonder what's really the difference between a tiny home and an RV :unsure:
well rich kids can have a tiny house and still be cool...

tjordan

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertuck (on order - dual engine model)
Occupation
Forester
Country flag
Makes you wonder what's really the difference between a tiny home and an RV :unsure:
Just wheels/axles pretty much the main difference. And shape has more flexibility with a tiny home - but most do need to fit on a trailer anyway. Also a Tiny Home can be much, much cheaper than an RV.

speach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100D, Escalade, Acura MDX, Focus ST, PriusC
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That would require bi-directional ports which I don't think has ever been outright indicated. So far there is only one charging port I know of. (Crissa?)

BUT - I really like the idea of having expansion power pack capability, especially with a trailer. I remember we had an F150 once that we shoehorned in a big block 429 into. Pulling a boat loaded with gear and three jet skis in the bed, we got ~7 mpg. So we put in 40 gallons of saddle tanks, and then had 65 gallons of fuel for about 400 miles of range.

Pulling a trailer, the mileage will suffer. It'd be awesome to be able to augment that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That would require bi-directional ports which I don't think has ever been outright indicated. So far there is only one charging port I know of. (Crissa?)
It's plausible, but Tesla/Elon hasn't mentioned any. People have built them.

It would be a very welcome feature. Todd the Cybertruck Truck Guy calls it 'dynamic charging'.

-Crissa
Sponsored