Will Tesla Service Centers be able to keep pace?

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
For the first time I’m questioning Tesla’s ability to service the vehicles they sell and wondering how they’re going to handle additional demand imposed by Cybertruck. My Model S died on the freeway a week ago, was towed to service center and they’re too backed up to look at it a week later.
If their service centers are this stressed already what happens when Cybertruck starts pouring out of factory?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
For the first time I’m questioning Tesla’s ability to service the vehicles they sell and wondering how they’re going to handle additional demand imposed by Cybertruck. My Model S died on the freeway a week ago, was towed to service center and they’re too backed up to look at it a week later.
If their service centers are this stressed already what happens when Cybertruck starts pouring out of factory?
It varies by region, and some regions the state and local governments are restricting how many and how large repair locations that Tesla can open.

Can Tesla handle it? Sure. They already sold half a million cars in the US in 2022.

-Crissa

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Def varies by region - mom got a flat tire and Tesla had her car towed to the dealer, replaced the tire, installed the garage door opener module (that was scheduled the following week) all within 2.5 hours...guessing mom got lucky but still, that was quick af....we're in northern Colorado, imagine CA and a few other places would be more challenging

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Clearly Tesla needs more service centers, and they know it.
The one near me is always backed up. They have Teslas pouring out of their lots...if I go there I can't even park.

As far as the Cybertruck pouring out of the factory? That won't happen for a while. I expect a light ramp in 2024, maybe picking up steam towards the end of 2024.

Hopefully Tesla can get more service centers going. The one by me was a Maserati dealership - that didn't make it, so after it went dark, Tesla came in and bought/leased the location. They will be doing more of that, I am sure.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
As more and more Teslas (and EVs in general) reach the streets, fewer and fewer auto dealerships, mom and pop repair shops, and major repair shops are going to stay in business. I see Tesla jumping in and snatching up some of this empty inventory (already equipped with auto lifts and bay doors) and establishing more service centers. Just like they do when a store at a mall goes empty in an area they want, they start a sales center.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Clearly Tesla needs more service centers, and they know it.
The one near me is always backed up. They have Teslas pouring out of their lots...if I go there I can't even park.
mom curious, are we sure the bottleneck are service centers, or available skilled labor?

because other major’s service centers for a few years and increasingly have been hell holes (way behind baseline)

every discussion I’ve had with various, the main issue cited consistently is lack of skilled and experienced techs

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
mom curious, are we sure the bottleneck are service centers, or available skilled labor?

because other major’s service centers for a few years and increasingly have been hell holes (way behind baseline) every discussion I’ve had with various, the main issue cited consistently is lack of skilled and experienced techs
Skilled techs is a huge bottleneck.

Nissan dealerships, Hyundai dealerships, etc don't have enough techs.

In fact, skilled employees for any business is an issue.

That is one thing the Uber Tesla Foiboys overlook with their graphs and projections about Tesla's growth - humans. We still need humans. For the factory in Texas. For the service centers. Truck drivers to deliver cars. Mobile service techs. Support staff for phone calls. You name it. Tesla doesn't have a magic wand to find people to work. It is a big challenge. Tesla is finding people, but it takes time, and might be slower than demand/growth.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
West Texas SC is well staff and I'm within walking distance from it. Mobile service is also available to us. Great job Tesla 👏 👍 👌

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Tesla doesn't have a magic wand to find people to work. It is a big challenge. Tesla is finding people, but it takes time, and might be slower than demand/growth.
Mike Rowe has been talking about this for years. Kids are shamed if they don’t go get a 4 year degree and $300k+ of debt. Yet the trades are paying well, and are in demand.

Maybe Tesla does have a magic wand? Their wand is probably a little while away, but what COULD an Optimus really do?

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
Colorado SCs are also always backed up, didn't help when one burned down recently. But they just re-opened, so maybe things are improving.. And the mobile service has noticeably improved in the five years and 70k miles that i've owned this car..

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mike Rowe has been talking about this for years. Kids are shamed if they don’t go get a 4 year degree and $300k+ of debt. Yet the trades are paying well, and are in demand.

Maybe Tesla does have a magic wand? Their wand is probably a little while away, but what COULD an Optimus really do?
An Optimus robot that can answer the phone and help Charlie in Philly who is calling about his Tesla insurance is off in the distance.

Ditto an Optimus that can drive the mobile service van to your house and diagnosis the ill fitted trim on your Tesla, and repair.

The next 5 years we definitely need those guys Mike Rowe is talking about.

OP
OP

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
Maybe Tesla should start programs in large high schools to start a pipeline of potential employees who want skilled trade jobs.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag

tide *might* be turning a little bit

silicon valley these days, the motto in some circles has changed from "learn to code" to "learn to plumb/wire"

Alfa Guy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Service centers are where Tesla fails even today. Vehicles that have auto presenting doors and the X’s falcon wing doors are plagued with issues that the service centers are not able to resolve and now claim are functioning normally. I don’t think Tesla learned their lessons there as they continue having the same issues as they did 6 years ago. I’ve personally had 3 model X’s now and 2 of the three detect ghost obstacles and won’t open doors when it’s hot outside. Our 2023 model is even worse than the previous models as it auto closes the front doors on you as you enter! Several times as we’ve held our kids in our arms!

With the Cybertruck not having handles and thick SS panels, I’m wondering how they’ve addressed these door issues. If they haven’t… they’ll be flooded with repairs.
Sponsored