Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
We received our AWD FSCT on March 26 and just finished a 6-day road trip to visit friends in Davis, CA (4/19). The FSCT is replacing a 2010 F-150 Lariat, 4-Door Crew Cab with a 5.5' bed. We drove 407 miles from Ventura County in SoCal to Yolo County in NoCal. We started out with 89% charge, spent a total of 1 hour charging in two stops and arrived with 7% battery. On the way back, we somehow managed to only stop once coming home. Leaving Davis with 75% charge and arriving home with 17%, 395 miles later. When I charged up to 100% it showed 318 miles.

The dings: The flat front panel, kills a lot of bugs that need to be cleaned. The bugs sorta stand out as needing to be cleaned. The plastic trim around the bumpers has flat spots on top that accumulate dirt and spots just begging to be wiped clean. The cruise control won't get close enough to the car ahead to prevent other drivers from passing you on the right and pulling in front of you. The cruise control is a little annoying, as it does not speed up fast enough when changing lanes to pass a slower car. I felt I had to press the gas to speed up faster. When adjusting the cruise control (OK, just think TACC when I say cruise control) "MAX" speed down one MPH, you could feel the CT slow down. I would have preferred a smoother drop in speed. The rear-view camera is a bit of a fish-eye and I found myself looking in the side mirror to judge how close cars behind me were. Our drive up was in the rain and at one point we had a front windshield defogger malfunction. We had to pull off the freeway and wipe down the inside of the windshield and give the defog a reboot. Two A-Holes didn't like it. Two people gave me a thumbs down as they passed. I'm thinking these guys must have issues. Why would someone feel the need to give it a thumbs down? My F-150 has more room in the back seats. The Honda Ridgeline had similar side panels blocking access to the front of the bed of the CT. This configuration is not at all convenient and pretty much eliminates it from being a real work truck.

The good: It rides like a dream. It must be a combo of the huge tires and the suspension, but this baby is smooth and quiet. The squircle is cool and comfy for driving long distance for me. Everyone else I saw loved it. Especially young people. One kid couldn't wait to tell his school friends he got a ride in a Cybertruck. The speedo is accurate at 75 MPH (My M3 is 2 MPH high). Very few false breaking events when using cruise control. The audio system works well with streaming and playing books off Audible. The Toybox light show is a real crowd pleaser. Them tires are BIG! I think the huge tires are a big factor in making the ride so smooth. The attention wasn't too much. People look and point, but that isn't a big deal. At one SC, I ran into a German couple on a "Tesla Tour" and they had a CT reservation. The "Tesla Tour" was visiting/touring Giga Texas, Giga Nevada and the Fremont factory. They were excited about Teslas. They gave me a German magazine about Tesla's. I used the turn signal "buttons" on the steering wheel and realized there is a tiny red LED in the post that comes on if there is a car in your blind spot. Who knew? When you press the turn signal, a video pops up showing the lane and it has a red shaded area if there is a car in the lane next to you.
My electricity consumption was 439 WH/Mile on the trip. I'm at 417 WH/Mile since purchase with 1,194 total miles. With California $5/gallon gasoline prices, the 439 WH/Mile is equivalent to about 35 MPG from a cost perspective. I love the fact Tesla will continue to improve this vehicle with each OTA software update. I've had over 100 OTA updates on my wife's M3 and I expect the same on the FSCT. The Tesla service tech did not know if you could open the Fronk from the front. Turns out there is a switch in the center below the lid to open it. I charged it at 120V, 240V 14-50 and SC and got 1.6 MPH, 17 and 250 MPH, respectively.

The final question is: So honey, when we take our road trips this summer, do you want to take the M3 or the CT? The final answer is: Let's take the CT!
Sponsored

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
supercharging costs more then gasoline. if i was in a vehicle that got 35 MPG and drove my cross country trip (3700 miles) and paid the non-insane CA prices it would of cost me like $350 instead of the $550 i paid supercharging.

so road trips its definatly not more cost effective to take any tesla unless you have free SC. Home charging is where that cost savings is realized.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T, Bronco Raptor
Country flag
supercharging costs more then gasoline. if i was in a vehicle that got 35 MPG and drove my cross country trip (3700 miles) and paid the non-insane CA prices it would of cost me like $350 instead of the $550 i paid supercharging.

so road trips its definatly not more cost effective to take any tesla unless you have free SC. Home charging is where that cost savings is realized.
You are misunderstanding the concept here. A gas equivalent vehicle like the CT would obviously not be getting 35 mpg. For example if you drove a RAM TRX or Raptor R on the freeway you’d be lucky to average 12 mpg. It is simpler to think of it as 12 mpg and $4 gas is $.33/mile. $.30/kwh charging and 2 mi/kwh efficiency is $.15/mile. So you save $.18/mile. You would need to pay $.66/kwh to equal the gas equivalent vehicle fuel cost at 2 mi/kwh efficiency.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

Are you saying that Supercharging in a Cybertruck is more expensive than a 12 mpg Diesel?
Sponsored