JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Others refer to it as a midgate. Lots of threads and convo about it here. Needs a whole new midgate wall design, window doesn't fit into lower section of the wall, also has a couple of issues with the folding over into the cab if the midgate wall isn't flat. Also needs load retention in cab etc. Harder than it looks to make it consumer safe.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
So many potential issues. Though, if anyone can think up something that works, I would expect Elon to be that person. Maybe the tonneau rolls completely down, and out of the way, into a container in the underbody. This would make room for a pass-through when the tonneau is open; and when it's closed, the full tonneau would be covering the whole vault area, leaving nothing in the way of a pass-through. peace

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So many potential issues. Though, if anyone can think up something that works, I would expect Elon to be that person. Maybe the tonneau rolls completely down, and out of the way, into a container in the underbody. This would make room for a pass-through when the tonneau is open; and when it's closed, the full tonneau would be covering the whole vault area, leaving nothing in the way of a pass-through. peace
The CT vault cover already does that as can be seen in videos and pictures. Patent also shows it in detail. Nothing about the midgate yet tho.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
any expectation the Cybertruck will have a fold down entrance to the bed from the cabin, I would love this feature.
Probably one of the most talked about features on this forum. Between the members here, we've probably gone over every little detail from pictures, videos and patent designs to see how a midgate might be able to function to allow a large passthrough for hauling long objects or making the Cybertruck a kick-ass camper.

So far, we haven't really found it realistic, but everyone is holding on hope. The shape of that wall makes it difficult since it isn't actually flat, it curves back with the rear seats. The wall also seems to house part of the cover while the vault is open, so Tesla would need to make sure the cover can also fold with the wall, but folding in that direction with the current cover patent design would require at least one section of it to have a joint that can bend both ways.

On top of all that, the seats also need to lay flat lower than the bed since the wall would lay on top of them to form a flat surface (if done optimally); the way the chevy avalanche did this was to have the bottom of the seats go forward and rest vertically against the backs of the front seats, the backs of the rear seats then folded down and just barely fit in that space. The problem that the Cybertruck might have with this same design is that the seats in the Cybertruck are taller than the compact ones that the avalanche put in, probably just for the ability to work with the midgate. On the other hand, the Cybertruck seems to have more leg room so that same method might actually work.

You'll be able to find lots of the discussions we've had on this subject if you search the forum for midgate. I'm still pretty hopeful for this feature, I think a lot of people have expressed interest for it. But at the same time, it's really only if they can find a solution for it that doesn't involve sacrificing features that people want more. I don't really want to lose space in the bed, nor do I want to lose cabin space for front or rear passengers. We've just got to trust that Tesla engineers will do their best to give us what we want, and if they can't, oh well.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The wall could be the midgate, or it could detach or fold upwards or to the side. We don't know the roll is maxed in size.

Lots of things we don't know about it to make guesses.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The way the CT has been designed so far, it might just be that the tonneau retracts into a different space-time continuum so that it is completely out of the way in this time stream.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Pass-Through = YES
Mid-Gate = NO

To me a pass-through large enough for a person to crawl into is much more elegant than an open wide space to the bed.

Tesla Cybertruck Fold down entrance to the bed from the cabin 9X73-kzQHAAnoPKrkUi9ZC3mwMRV_eTc2xK-QjiXQh7Uhk6GvV

Tesla Cybertruck Fold down entrance to the bed from the cabin 7d46e220cc3e1da3eca7820b30fa6b54

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Make the window between the bed and the cab roll down. A lot easier than trying to turn this thing into a van for some reason.

This whole midgate nonsense is so weird to me. Hardly any other trucks do this, all it does is add complexity that 95% of people won't even use, makes the bed weaker, and would require a redesign of the entire tonneau system. I highly doubt we'll see it added as anything more than a retracting window to act as a pass through, which is bogstandard for most consumer vehicles as is.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This whole midgate nonsense is so weird to me. Hardly any other trucks do this
There are no other exoskeleton trucks or trucks with sail panels & rolling tonneau cover.

all it does is add complexity that 95% of people won't even use,
Maybe not 95% but there are a large % that would use this.
This whole midgate nonsense is so weird to me. Hardly any other trucks do this,
There have been plenty of people citing everyday examples

PETS

gives enough room for 2-3 passengers & pets

long trips

camping in truck

would require a redesign of the entire tonneau system.
Original design already had tonneau being stored below.

Probably would NOT need complete redesign of the entire tonneau system

makes the bed weaker
The question is not whether the mid-gate pass-thru makes the bed weaker.

The question is HOW MUCH weaker and if the rest of the cold-rolled stainless steel exoskeleton is still strong enough to met all other goals (3,500lbs payload, 14,000lbs towing) and features required.

It is quite possible that the Cybertruck exoskeleton is that strong that mid-gate is possible.

Things are in the ballpark that this might be possible and not some outlandish possibility.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Just curious, is your name indicating that the cybertruck will be your first truck?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Just curious, is your name indicating that the cybertruck will be your first truck?
First truck for daily driver personal use.

For personal vehicles I usually have sports cars.
My favorites were:
1969 Datsun 240Z
1984 Mazda RX7 ( Wankel rotary ICE)
2001 Mazda RX7 ( Wankel rotary ICE)

My truck driving was for jobs I worked or my businesses. Drove F-100/150s/250s, Chevy PUs, vans, small box trucks, and various forklifts. Never drove semis or any vehicle needing special license.
Did get to ride in friend's huge combine at their farm.

Oh, I forgot for a couple years over 40 years ago. I did have one personal truck ( fourth vehicle of my menagerie of vehicles at the time, late 1970s).
It definitely was not a daily driver but did help me hauling stuff for a property I had at the time.
1953 Willys Jeep pickup

Looking forward to driving a Cybertruck.

Kamin

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Health Physicist
Country flag
I would be happy with a door in the mid-gate big enough to fit through and only could be used if the roll cover was over the bed. The drawings seem to indicate that when retracted it blocks the mid-gate.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
The way the CT has been designed so far, it might just be that the tonneau retracts into a different space-time continuum so that it is completely out of the way in this time stream.
A CyberTARDIS?
Sponsored