Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
An inflatable version of this that could be anchored to the side track rail system and a nice plush air mattress would be my kind of cybercamper option. Bed lighting with a pass through would be sweet. Even without the pass through, it’s an economical option that will pack up onto a small bag and not hog up space in the bed when not in use.

GBearFan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 Toyota Camry XLE, 2010 Lexus ES350
Country flag
Why would anyone need this? Just out of curiosity.
We want this for sleeping space. Camp-mode "on" with third party mattress extending into the vault. This would eliminate hotel expense just to get a few hours of sleep during two day trips.

Tesla4KShares

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, Y LR, CT
Occupation
FI but not Retired
Country flag
I am willing to lose the vault cover if it means I can get the mid-gate. Mid-gate is a MUST for in-car camping in my opinion.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
@ Tesla

1. Make the midgate permanently open. (No midgate, just an opening.)

2. Add a second short tonneau door to close off space

3. durring opening and closing of the tonneau cover, close the tonneau door until finished and same with opening.

4. Sensor and Resistance sensor to track if anything blocks opening

Benefit with approach is to allow powered opening and closing of the mid access separately and jointly with the tonneau cover.

Suggestion is if the mid access is decided to be in a closed state for the cover to move.

Signed

Impatiently waiting

Granted, consideration needed for bed wall strength and protection against loads I. Bed.

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Without the cover, the CT won’t get the range Tesla has announced so that’s not going to be an option.
A simple hinged opening tonneau could replace the rolling slats. Much cheaper and then just hang a tent around the edge.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A simple hinged opening tonneau could replace the rolling slats. Much cheaper and then just hang a tent around the edge.
Yep.

In fact, replacing the sliding cover with a hard tonneau cover would solve a lot of the Cyercamper problems. Suddenly the mid-gate becomes easy to implement and the space under the bed where the cover rolls up becomes a great spot for water and/ or waste storage.

It would be a fantastic option for people who want that flexibility.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Also much cheaper to put standard type solar panels on hinged flat tonneau cover (less than $1,000) than the custom solar mounting on rolling tonneau slats.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
I was thinking about a split cargo bay door design for the bed. Somewhat reminiscent of the Space Shuttle and possibly Starship depending on what design they settle on. Would be super cool as it would further strengthen the connection between Cybertruck and Starship given they already use the same steel.

Tesla Cybertruck Fold down entrance to the bed from the cabin E7QYM7dX0AE6bia

Not only does it make the mid-gate and solar panel implementation easier but if it can hinge 180° then you could have solar panel wings fold out which would allow much greater energy generation. Plus, as already mentioned by Ogre, you could use that area where the retractable tonneau cover was for water, storage or a slide-out-kitchen like Rivian.

The only drawback would be if you have large items in the bed that prevent it from closing. In that case the bay doors would have to lock open at a 90° angle (upright position) and would stick up about 38" vertically which isn't great for driving around compared to the retractable tonneau but not impossible.

CYBER PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
An inflatable version of this that could be anchored to the side track rail system and a nice plush air mattress would be my kind of cybercamper option. Bed lighting with a pass through would be sweet. Even without the pass through, it’s an economical option that will pack up onto a small bag and not hog up space in the bed when not in use.
Although economical, does it match CT?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I was thinking about a split cargo bay door design for the bed.
Sideways opening doors prevent access and entry from the sides. If I wanted a load of gravel or bark, the loader dumps it over the side because it's wider than the rear (less spillage). Also, tossing firewood or junk over the side is definitely a thing with trucks. The Cybertruck already makes filling over the side a bit sketchy, this would kill the deal.

You could certainly remove the side panels, but we were talking about solar which means you have to not only remove the panels, but disconnect the wiring.

I'm sure this is why you never see this design on existing covers.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Sideways opening doors prevent access and entry from the sides. If I wanted a load of gravel or bark, the loader dumps it over the side because it's wider than the rear (less spillage). Also, tossing firewood or junk over the side is definitely a thing with trucks. The Cybertruck already makes filling over the side a bit sketchy, this would kill the deal.

You could certainly remove the side panels, but we were talking about solar which means you have to not only remove the panels, but disconnect the wiring.

I'm sure this is why you never see this design on existing covers.
You could load gravel/bark from the side if the horizontal reach of whatever is loading it is greater than 38", side access is already prevented by the sail pillars for most other applications (e.g. tossing firewood/junk). None are insurmountable issues since everything that can be loaded/unloaded from the side can be loaded/unloaded from the rear.

You don't see this design on existing covers because it would only make sense if integrated into the design of the Cybertruck.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You could load gravel/bark from the side if the horizontal reach of whatever is loading it is greater than 38", side access is already prevented by the sail pillars for most other applications (e.g. tossing firewood/junk). None are insurmountable issues since everything that can be loaded/unloaded from the side can be loaded/unloaded from the rear.

You don't see this design on existing covers because it would only make sense if integrated into the design of the Cybertruck.
So far, every time I've seen video of The Cybertruck driving, it's always had the cover in the open position with nothing in the bed. So predominately the CT will be an open bed vehicle, with the possibility of having a closed bed (as needed). That hinged opening design is more of a closed bed design, with doors that can open for access. But not for driving around.
Sponsored