Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh, this would be fun and exciting to watch if this happened. Ford’s CEO, Jim Farley, agreed that having a drag race with Tesla is a good idea — the Mustang Mach-E vs the new Tesla Plaid Model S. Having been in the Model S Plaid and experiencing that acceleration — and, well, just looking at the specs — I believe the Tesla would win hands down. It is the quickest production car in history, after all. However, this doesn’t mean the cars shouldn’t have a race. The two cars would be working together to raise awareness about just how great the performance of EVs is on the track. This gets people excited about EVs and this is what we want.

The idea about a drag race was posed after Farley thanked Ford Performance for letting him test drive the vehicle in the above tweet. When asked if the Mustang Mach-E would be drag racing the Tesla Model S Plaid “for bragging rights,” Farley replied, “good idea.”

The Plaid Model S has three electric motors that produce 1,020 horsepower and is larger than the Mach-E. The Mach-E 1400 has no fewer than seven electric motors with three in the front and four in the rear, giving it a total of 1,400 horsepower (hence the unique name). Does this make this Mach-E a worthy competitor? Considering that the Plaid Model S is faster than the Bugatti Chiron and other million-dollar supercars, that’s certainly a tall order. Maybe. Maybe not. However, it would be pretty fun to see two American automakers racing their quickest EVs!

Ford says that its Mach-E GT can go from 0–60 mph in 3.7 seconds. The Plaid Model S is able to go from 0–60 mph in 1.99 seconds — 1.98 seconds was also just recorded by Motor Trend.

I also want to note another comparison that comes partly from riding in the Model S Plaid during the delivery event. I watched the video in Farley’s tweet and noticed that the Mustang Mach-E was louder than the Model S Plaid. It could be that the audio picked up the sound more clearly, or it could be actually louder. The Plaid Model S was much quieter for me — even when I watched the vehicles in action while waiting on my test ride. The motors didn’t have a whine or any sound coming from them beyond whatever soundproofing Tesla had in there — you could only hear the wind rushing as the car sped down the track. Hurricane Delta’s winds were louder than the Model S Plaid.

I think Tesla should take Farley up on that “good idea” and have the race. It would be great to see the two vehicles racing, and no matter who won the race, it would be a win for sustainability and electric vehicles by simply creating buzz about the cars.

SOURCE: CleanTechnica
Sponsored

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I can't believe that Ford sullied the Mustang name by putting it on an SUV. Of course I always wondered if the Mustang GT Cobra was a horse, or a snake? And aren't horses afraid of vipers? Inquiring minds want to know.

Will the hyper SUV version be called the Ford GT-E?

...sarcasm off...

I hope I never see a Camaro SUV.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Yeah, I get it. An ICE manufacturer hedged their sales bets with a new electric car by invoking the familiar brand recognition of their popular car. My opinion is that there's no imagination or innovation to that.

It was the same tactic that GM used with their behemoth Hummer resurrection.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
To be fair, it's a luxury sedan vs a CUV with a sports car name.

Even if the Plaid S wiped the floor with the Mach-E 1400, I think it would be good for the Mach-E. Anything that shows of a fast 60 time is enough to get some attention. I doubt there are many (any?) people who will choose Tesla over Ford because of a 0-60 time. Ford fans will watch the Ford go down the track and barely notice the other car.

Last edited:

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope I never see a Camaro SUV.
Chevrolet Camaro E/28 Electric SUV: GM’s Answer to the Mustang Mach-E?
Here’s what a Camaro EV crossover might look like

Tesla Cybertruck Ford CEO On Mustang Mach-E Vs. Tesla Model S Plaid Drag Race: “A Good Idea” Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.51.01 PM

Tesla Cybertruck Ford CEO On Mustang Mach-E Vs. Tesla Model S Plaid Drag Race: “A Good Idea” Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.50.52 PM

Avarvarii
IllustrationsAlex NishimotoWords
Jan 20, 2020

Ford rustled more than a few feathers when it revealed the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E late last year, but it wasn't because anyone had beef with the idea of a sporty, all-electric SUV. What most took issue with was the model being branded as a Mustang. Ford must have known its controversial decision would rub diehard Stang enthusiasts the wrong way, but with a nameplate with as much brand equity as Mustang at its disposal, we can understand why it would want to use a familiar badge and styling on its crucial new EV.

General Motors is currently carrying out its own electric-vehicle strategy, and we don't know if a direct competitor to the Mustang Mach-E is in the cards. But GM does have a flexible EV platform due in 2021 that is set to underpin at least nine different vehicles, with the first being a Cadillac SUV. If GM wanted to follow Ford's lead and leverage the Camaro's name and looks for a sporty electric crossover of its own, it might look something like these renderings.

The Camaro's styling translates about as well as you'd expect to a tall, high-riding SUV body style—after all, the current-generation Blazer draws liberally from the bowtie-wearing pony car—but does our fantasy Camaro E-SUV look any worse than the real Mustang Mach-E? We think that's up for debate. The sloping "coupe-like" roofline made popular by the BMW X6 and others would likely be a requirement, as would a narrow (for an SUV) greenhouse opening. Also, some semblance of muscular rear haunches would be a must if the car is to trade on the Camaro name. What might Chevy call such a product? All we can do is speculate, but we think Camaro E/28 has a nice ring.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-camaro-e-28-renderings

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Showed wife, she likes the front, dislikes the rear.

all you smartarses, she was talking about the camero and not me.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Chevrolet Camaro E/28 Electric SUV: GM’s Answer to the Mustang Mach-E?
Here’s what a Camaro EV crossover might look like

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.51.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.50.52 PM.png

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-camaro-e-28-renderings
Yep, the automotive press is speculating, and using the popular Rally Yellow in their renderings.

??‍♀

-Crissa
Heres the thing. In my opinion, it's not about how fast or capable an SUV/CUV is. It's about a manufacturer watering down a storied brand just to compete in the next hot trend. SUV's and particularly CUV'S are literally everywhere. Just look around the roads or in parking lots.

In the 80's and 90's, the hot trend was the minivan. They too were everywhere and the trend burned itself almost completely out.

I guess Ford has forgotten about the horrible "Mustang II" which was supposed to be an economical pony car version for the fuel crisis era. That was a brand disaster IMO. Does anyone aspire to restore one of these cars?

These companies have entire marketing departments. How about taking a chance on a new idea?

I hope GM or gm is smarter than following Ford here. Time will tell though.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope GM or gm is smarter than following Ford here. Time will tell though.
The electric Corvette will never be a CUV. I'm not so sure about the electric Camaro though.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
they want to compare a a publicly orderable, deliverable, full production car with performance that is available to every single owner to something that isnt being produced, was purpose built and likely has a price tag of 2-3x the cost of the fore mentioned production car. Everyone wants a piece of Tesla, I get it, they are the top dog. But without the context as to what these vehicles truly are it's like trying to drag race a f-150 against a garbage truck.....pointless

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Chevy turned the Blazer into a CUV, called their hybrid car a Volt and their EV a Bolt. Chevy is just as likely to call this type of car a Corvair as they are a Chevelle, egads even worse...a Colt.
Sponsored