Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Last time, FSD couldn't identify the grey pillars against the grey road background. It just didn't see them. This time, it knows there's something there! And it dodges.

-Crissa
Progress.

I have to say though. Every time I drive that very monorail street, I as a human have a difficult time figuring out what to do. Somehow I always end up turning right onto that street, being in the right single lane to the right of the pillars, but needing to turn left about 2 blocks later. I can see the pillars so won’t hit them but I never know if I’m even allowed to get over to the left side to enable turning left. Instead I tend to go another block the turn right 3 times around the block to get on the street I wanted to end up on. Navigation in the car and on my phone though always say to just get over and turn left. But that never feels safe and involves crossing a double white line and navigating between the pillars where it is difficult to see if the next lane is open or not.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, they had to force it into the pillars this time; navigation wanted to go around the block.

The videos of FSD 10 vs Lombard Street did the same; navigation refused to plot through it, but they could force it by driving into the street.

So Navigation was smarter and Drive was also more adaptive in this version. Much better on avoiding traffic Drive sees but Navigation didn't predict.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's struggled a lot with stationary objects in traffic like this in general, two of the highest profile accidents and I think one fatality were linked to driving into stationary objects. This is one of my biggest concerns with autopilot so happy to see some progress here.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Probably the wrong thread for this, but after watching this video I'm realizing that in an emergency FSD take over situation it would be much harder to find and grab the Yoke wheel than the standard round wheel....

That being said I think I still want to yoke :cool:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Progress.

I have to say though. Every time I drive that very monorail street, I as a human have a difficult time figuring out what to do. Somehow I always end up turning right onto that street, being in the right single lane to the right of the pillars, but needing to turn left about 2 blocks later. I can see the pillars so won’t hit them but I never know if I’m even allowed to get over to the left side to enable turning left. Instead I tend to go another block the turn right 3 times around the block to get on the street I wanted to end up on.
I have also visited there and driven down that street.

You did the right thing by just continuing past the left turn point and doing a series of right turns.

Yes, it takes a little longer but it is much safer.

There is no reliably safe way for human driver or FSD to navigate through those pillars at those locations.

The 2-3 foot setback location from the front tip of the vehicle of our head/eyes or FSD cameras means to get complete proper view of the situation requires the vehicle to creep out almost 2-3 feet in the cross traffic lane. Another part of this is that Galli/Hyperchange driver needs to worry about vehicles in both lanes that are over on that left side of the pillars. It is easy for a driver that is the extreme far left lane to move in to the middle lane (where pillars are on the right). This driver changing lanes right into Galli/Hyperchange blind-spot beside the pillar.

Those that make lane change through the pillar area without an accident are depending highly on luck.

What you did above with making series of rights is what good defensive drivers do.
Patience is one of the things defensive drivers do that helps them avoid accidents.

Sure there is never NO RISK in driving or even life.
Every unprotected by signal left turn across multiple lanes of traffic is riskier than multiple right turns and I AM NOT advocating never doing the unprotected lefts.
BUT sometimes the risk is too great and a prudent driver would avoid.
Just because the government/police did not prohibit some action does not mean you should do it.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I never know if I’m even allowed ...
A couple times in these FSD monorail videos Galli/Hyperchange even says he is not sure this lane change across solid white lines between the pillars is legal.

His videos has been over a period of 2 months and he is still saying in the videos that he does not know if the maneuver is legal.

Galli/Hyperchange can spend all this time making videos but can not take time to check with police or the State DOT as to whether this action is legal???

If it is illegal should Tesla FSD be pushed into doing illegal maneuvers at that location.
AI & neural networks have no morals. It is critical the trainers give the right lessons.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If it is illegal should Tesla FSD be pushed into doing illegal maneuvers at that location.
AI & neural networks have no morals. It is critical the trainers give the right lessons.
Kind of what I was thinking about.

We spend too much time thinking about whether we can do something and not enough time thinking about whether we should. (quote stolen from somewhere)

I am happy it dodges the pillars though in spite of being pushed to do something it shouldn't.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Because the police and government do not have an answer.

Usually two close lines means no passing/no lane changes, but the gore zone while you aren't supposed to fo there, it's not a ticket, either, unless your actions threaten someone else.

caveat: I first got my license in Washington. I have taken the test in Washington, Arizona, Oregon, and California.

-Crissa
Sponsored