Gateway and Wall Connector Question

Cyberlistguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model 3, Model Y, Bronco
Country flag
Apologies if this has been asked and answered (I searched the forum but did not come up with anything on point).

I'm eligible for the gateway and wall connector. Tesla connected me with an installer. Nice folks but the estimate is too high for this work and they have not been very responsive. I asked to take delivery of the hardware and think over installing at some point in the future (additional fact: likely to move homes within a year). The vendor told me that this isn't allowed by Tesla - instead, Tesla is (1) requiring commitments to install before shipping hardware and (2) only shipping hardware once a full pallet (unsure how many per) is committed.

Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone taken delivery of the charging hardware without installation? The order page makes clear that both the gateway and the wall connector are "included charging" with the Foundation series and I do not see any language conditioning this on installing with a particular electrician.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Sponsored

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What did they quote you for the installation? Did they break down how much is "travel" & the actual installation charge?

I will fall into this boat soon and one of the reasons why I'm thinking to decline the Gateway & Universal Wall Connector (UWC) in exchange for the $700 or free 6-months of super charging.

I'm finding the UWC for $450 on Best Buy Website, Amazon also selling along with tons of reselling owners. It's nothing complicated to install not sure why Tesla is overcomplicating the need for a Tesla tech to just run a 220v wire and mount the UWC to your wall. A local electrician can easily do it from $200-$800 depending on how far wires must be run. The Gateway being sold $1,200-$1,800 and this is slightly more complicated (but a good electrician can do it) to install compared to the UWC.

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I think some of the electrical contractors might be overcharging, but electrical work is more expensive than you think. I have a pretty pricey quote ($6k) that didn't include everything I wanted. I think it is important to get at least two quotes. I concur, Tesla only wants to send the PowerShare and UWC to the electrician, not the homeowner. The problem is the EV revolution (Isn't it great to be able to see such a transformation from ICE to EV?) is creating a huge shortage of electricians. The old supply vs demand curve makes these installations a little expensive. I've contacted 3 different Tesla approved installers and only one has come back with a proposal.

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, and Cybertruck
Country flag
I just got mine installed, it was $4186 for one of the easiest installations you could have. They did arrive at 8 AM and stayed until 4 PM. They said it was only the third installation they did, so maybe they will increase their speed as they do more.

Tesla doesn't just pick the electricians, but they also have complete control over the gateway. Even if you could get your hands on one, which they are not selling to the public, you need Tesla to give you access to the gateway to use it. You need to register it through your app and I doubt you could bypass this to use your Powershare. The installer said that it won't work in a power outage yet, they are expecting the update to be available in June.

They did put my 5 ton air conditioning circuit on the gateway. The guy said Tesla said 3 ton, but said it shouldn't be a problem with draw. For $4200ish, I was going to lose this equipment if I didn't pay Tesla's installer price. For me to have a 11.5 kW generator, it is worth it to me. Hopefully I will never have to use it, but with having weeks of 110 degree weather in my area, I will enjoy air conditioning when no one else has it!

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
awaiting Foundation AWD CyberTruck; Volvo XC90
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
According to the FAQ, if you decline the PowerShare offer, you won’t receive a Universal Wall Connector.
Tesla Cybertruck Gateway and Wall Connector Question IMG_0269

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I got 2 $700 voucher not one $1400. I already have all the hardware with solar, gateway , and 2 powerwall in place with gen 1 home charger. I am just increasing charger current to 60amp from 40. I have a home charger certified installer but this charge requires gateway panel breaker changes and he is not powerwall certified. Kind of dragging on.

Coagulation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
I got 2 $700 voucher not one $1400. I already have all the hardware with solar, gateway , and 2 powerwall in place with gen 1 home charger. I am just increasing charger current to 60amp from 40. I have a home charger certified installer but this charge requires gateway panel breaker changes and he is not powerwall certified. Kind of dragging on.
How did you get 2?

Polen

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wait a minute this is breaking news. I would take that offer of 2 $700 vouchers. Has anyone else received this offer?

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Wait a minute this is breaking news. I would take that offer of 2 $700 vouchers. Has anyone else received this offer?
Did you buy a Cyberbeast?