Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3
Occupation
Sandy
Country flag
Question
How would 1st responders get into this truck in the case of an accident? If the windows are shatterproof how do they get in if person has a seizure or heart attack? I have one on order cause I love the truck but am wondering if anyone has an answer to this?
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
How do they do it for armored car drivers, now?

This may be one thing Elon has to reconsider, I think more due to government interference than it being a real problem. If a legislator asks that question, we'll see more rules. Yuck.

Mostly I think first responders will need to start carrying a steel ball around. That doesn't seem to have any problem. (tongue-in-cheek)

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Question
How would 1st responders get into this truck in the case of an accident? If the windows are shatterproof how do they get in if person has a seizure or heart attack? I have one on order cause I love the truck but am wondering if anyone has an answer to this?
Fire departments have jaws of life that can cut through steel no problem.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
This is one thing I have thought about too. How to get out if you go through the ice when getting to the ice fishing shack? I have a window smashing tool for regular side windows if it happens today.

Ordinaryguy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 4 Runner Offroad
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is one thing I have thought about too. How to get out if you go through the ice when getting to the ice fishing shack? I have a window smashing tool for regular side windows if it happens today.
Probably lower the window and start swimming. But realistically, getting out is only part of the problem if you fall through the ice into cold water.

JayP90X

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P90D
Country flag
I'm confident they've thought of the safety implications for the unbreakable "armor glass" windows. Maybe when the vehicle detects immersion in water, the windows will self release or the doors will self open.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model 3, 2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2013 GMC 2500
Country flag
I'm confident they've thought of the safety implications for the unbreakable "armor glass" windows. Maybe when the vehicle detects immersion in water, the windows will self release or the doors will self open.
Very hard to open doors under water until all the air is out and pressure is equalized.

MPP

First Name
Marc Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’m worried that the safety rules will have a major impact on the Cybertruck great looks and its nice features. In a car accident, the frame needs to absorb the energy, not the passengers. I’m wondering how Tesla will deal with that problem!

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
I’m worried that the safety rules will have a major impact on the Cybertruck great looks and its nice features. In a car accident, the frame needs to absorb the energy, not the passengers. I’m wondering how Tesla will deal with that problem!
Yea one big question/issue that seems to be circulating is the current design doesn't seem to have much of a crumple zone. Could lead to design changes for the front end? I hope not because I love the short front overhang!

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
There is another video that explains how the exoskeleton is strong however the inside frame is not cold rolled steel. So in the event of an accident the outside will bend and the soft frame will start to work harden absorbing energy as it bends and hardens. If this is true it will make this vehicle extremely good in an accident for the occupants and the other vehicle. This still has to be tested to see if true.

See the cold rolled steel post.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Yea one big question/issue that seems to be circulating is the current design doesn't seem to have much of a crumple zone. Could lead to design changes for the front end? I hope not because I love the short front overhang!
What am I missing? The frunk is under there, between passengers and front end. Seems like a lot of crumple zone to me?

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
What am I missing? The frunk is under there, between passengers and front end. Seems like a lot of crumple zone to me?
A different but related problem has surfaced. You're driving in a leftish lane on a throughway. Something (presumably battery-related) fails in your Tesla. Your display tells you to pull over because the vehicle's about to die. Before you can comply, it dies -- stops -- loses all power -- whereupon it locks the drive wheels so you can't push it out of the way, or tow it, or even easily load it onto a flatbed. Being stuck in the middle of a throughway is deadly serious! (Apparently it's the same with some other EVs.)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can hear all of the guys who want their Cybertruck into an amphibian vehicle screaming already. That's the last thing you want if you are fording a creek.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
A different but related problem has surfaced. You're driving in a leftish lane on a throughway. Something (presumably battery-related) fails in your Tesla. Your display tells you to pull over because the vehicle's about to die. Before you can comply, it dies -- stops -- loses all power -- whereupon it locks the drive wheels so you can't push it out of the way, or tow it, or even easily load it onto a flatbed. Being stuck in the middle of a throughway is deadly serious! (Apparently it's the same with some other EVs.)
This scenario is why Teslas still have a 12v battery. The 12v battery keeps the car electronics running even if the high voltage battery fails or disconnects completely. So in case of a failure where it tells you to pull over, you have the opportunity to coast to the side of the road. And while your 12v battery is alive, you will have hazard lights and can put the car in Tow Mode to deactivate the parking brakes. There's always a chance of more catastrophic failure, but that exists for any car and is extremely rare.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Yes, but this is the problem in any vehicle when the motor locks up.

In this case yes, call 911 immediately. In California, the Highway Patrol is responsible for any distressed or abandoned vehicle, motorist, or pedestrian stuck on a highway or rest area. This was definitely an emergency, but the 911 operator can put you to the non-emergency desk if you use the magic words, 'highway patrol, please'. (This works for local police as well, who often want to know urgently about things that 911 doesn't consider emergencies.)

-Crissa

edit: oops, cut and paste error, weird!
Sponsored