John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
FWIW, that's a rendered image and not an actual photo. I think all of those original desert shots they use for promos are renders. There are some inconsistencies between those and the prototypes.

The smooth transition between tailgate and bed is not consistent with shots of the prototype in action.
Nuts to me
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
FWIW, that's a rendered image and not an actual photo. I think all of those original desert shots they use for promos are renders. There are some inconsistencies between those and the prototypes.

The smooth transition between tailgate and bed is not consistent with shots of the prototype in action.
The demo model has an inward angled back cab wall almost like the whole back wall is a wheel chock without the side constraints. It appears the angle mirrors the back bench seat backrest angle.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You can clearly see the demo model on stage in the release event roll up the tonneau cover below the bed on tracks that travel down past the rear windows on the outside. When they load the atv up into the bed.

It's been in the demo model this way since day one the same as the patent. Not to say things couldn't change by production.
Yes, the prototype shown at the reveal was as you describe. And there is a very good chance that the CT we receive will match the prototype in this regard.

However Elon did say this:

There have been a large number of ideas by others about how Elon might implement what was requested. What I wrote about above is just my idea of a possible solution that would allow as much of what people have been asking for as possible. Will it actually come out like that? Fat chance. But one can imagine.

DisruptiveInvesting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cyber Truck
Country flag
Lots of big question marks around this.

Tesla-Cybertruck-bed-cover-patent-2-e1622137258992.jpg

The above is from the patent app. Looks like you have to pull up the vault floor to access/ repair the cover.

Looking at the diameter of the coiled cover, seems like the chances of seeing it inside the cabin or on the roof are pretty slim.

If you have dual windows that makes it harder to have a pass-thru from the vault to the cabin.
Any word of a alarm or video camera on truck bed?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yes, the prototype shown at the reveal was as you describe. And there is a very good chance that the CT we receive will match the prototype in this regard.

However Elon did say this:

There have been a large number of ideas by others about how Elon might implement what was requested. What I wrote about above is just my idea of a possible solution that would allow as much of what people have been asking for as possible. Will it actually come out like that? Fat chance. But one can imagine.
I would very much like this. Though for camping you'd want to vault closed I expect!

I don't think you need to re-route the vault cover to make that happen.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Any word of a alarm or video camera on truck bed?
There are cameras all around the car. Two in front of the drivers doors to act as rear view mirrors, plus 1 or 2 on the rear of the truck. I doubt you will be able to approach the truck without getting recorded.

Sentry mode records anyone approaching the truck.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Off topic, I am also very likely going to do a high performance film in the truck bed to protect the stainless. If I have spare cash I might consider doing a protective film coating on the whole truck. Again 3M make some amazing films.
I don't understand the concept of "protecting" cold-rolled stainless steel 3 mm thick with a thin film of plastic.

Are you aware that the steel used in the Cybertruck will be much more durable than the steel on your stainless steel appliances? It's a completely different product. Never try to protect something with a film that is less resistant to damage than the surface you are trying to protect.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Even hardened stainless will have abrasion and patina.

-Crissa
It's hardened stainless steel exterior to a truck. It's supposed to have abraision and patina. When mine looks like a wizened old demo derby grand champion, i will be proud.
Tesla Cybertruck Glass Topper is a SHOW STOPPER ! Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 1.49.08 PM

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't understand the concept of "protecting" cold-rolled stainless steel 3 mm thick with a thin film of plastic.
Even hardened stainless will have abrasion and patina.
There is the dilemma I face.

I will be taking my truck into places where it will face tree branches, rocks, grit, mud, etc etc.

If I put a wrap on it the wrap is going to take a bunch of abuse and look like crap much quicker than the base material might. But then when I pull the wrap off, I have a truck that looks like new.

If I leave the wrap off, it stainless takes the abuse. It'll shrug most of it off, but slowly develops a series of dings, scratches, and surface abrasions.

I'm leaning towards just leaving it naked because scraped in the stainless can be polished out.

But the idea of a wrap that starts out looking a little pre-stressed also appeals.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
There is the dilemma I face.

I will be taking my truck into places where it will face tree branches, rocks, grit, mud, etc etc.

If I put a wrap on it the wrap is going to take a bunch of abuse and look like crap much quicker than the base material might. But then when I pull the wrap off, I have a truck that looks like new.

If I leave the wrap off, it stainless takes the abuse. It'll shrug most of it off, but slowly develops a series of dings, scratches, and surface abrasions.

I'm leaning towards just leaving it naked because scraped in the stainless can be polished out.

But the idea of a wrap that starts out looking a little pre-stressed also appeals.
Bar Keepers Friend.

is a stainless steel cleaning compound that will remove the scuffs and abrasions and any oxidation that forms over time. DMC 81 here uses it on his DeLorean and I have read and talked to other people who’ve done the same thing with it. So once a year you give it a good scrub with barkeepers friend and call it a day. No worries.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bar-Keepers-Friend-21-oz-Non-Abrasive-All-Purpose-Cleaner/3654956

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I like visual aids, so... as we can see here:
Tesla Cybertruck Glass Topper is a SHOW STOPPER ! 1626370240657

It is capable of making a pretty sharp turn. Instead of rolling up under the back seat like that, maybe it could take this path:
Tesla Cybertruck Glass Topper is a SHOW STOPPER ! 1626370345159

That wouldn't need to take up a lot of room in the passenger compartment.
It would make the roof of the truck a bit thicker, and would eliminate the glass roof (at least when the bed is open)
Sponsored