Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I haven't watched Discovery yet (because I have a hard time accepting anything after DS9 as cannon), so 100% intended just the real dude - but now I feel like I need to watch Discovery. Ugh...
I LOVE Discovery. Once you get past the fact that in cannon it's set 10 years before the Original Series yet the technology seems 1000% better, you'll love it.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Back up the truck there, cowboy.

You can't just toss a kilo of hydrogren in the back seat. The "energy density" of lithium includes the packaging, but hydrogen needs a bulky storage tank to contain it. Also, you'll need a fuel cell to create power from hydrogen, so there is more weight.

Lastly, 90%+ of the energy in the battery will go to the wheels, whereas hydrogen will lose much of it's energy in waste heat.
I am not talking about powering a vehicle necessarily just storing energy. Yes hydrogen fuel cells will lose about 40% energy to heat but they are still the most efficient way to extract energy from fuels. Even at a 40% loss hydrogen is still over 100x more energy dense than lithium battery tech. I get that hydrogen storage is probably more complicated than lithium batteries, but I am just saying not to discount hydrogen. It will definitely have a niche in a clean energy future.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think there is a niche for every idea, and this GM idea is just that… a niche.

I equate their hydrogen fuel trucks to gas bottle delivery vehicles.

It won't be many years from now till we have a plethora of charging locations, it would only be really remote places or applications which would need mobile recharging.

I wonder if truck mounted battery packs would do the same job. And this would be the job of in AU, say RACV. (Roadside service)

Overall, its a headscratcher, like this hydrogen hybrid RV. Where on earth would you find the hydrogen to refill travelling cross-country ?

Deleted member 12457

For Teslas. Not for CCS vehicles. Competition and options are good.

-Crissa
I agree competition is good but the competition actually needs to provide EV services that actually work most of the time. (using comments I've read about the other EV charging system providers). Hasn't Elon offered access to Superchargers to non-Teslas and nobody took him up on it? As for the mobile charger I found a photo of, Tesla could easily provide CCS outlets. I noticed CCS is the American standard, which doesn't surprise, even though there are more Teslas on the road that all the other EV combined. Looks like another standard based on supporting non-Teslas with cars built by the UAW.
Sponsored