A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That wasn't a sledge hammer. It was a "dead blow" mallet specially designed to limit damage to the item being struck. Commonly used in auto body repair for just that reason. Look at the video carefully and see if you still think it was a sledge hammer.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
That wasn't a sledge hammer. It was a "dead blow" mallet specially designed to limit damage to the item being struck. Commonly used in auto body repair for just that reason. Look at the video carefully and see if you still think it was a sledge hammer.
Yep. But, you have to admit, the blow dealt with the mallet had significant force that would have left damage on my Chevy Volt’s driver door and I would bet damaged to the vehicle you currently are using.

Nothing is hail proof when dealing with repeated softball sized hail traveling around 122 mph.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yep. But, you have to admit, the blow dealt with the mallet had significant force that would have left damage on my Chevy Volt’s driver door and I would bet damaged to the vehicle you currently are using.
As I am currently driving an X100D with aluminum doors there isn't much doubt about that. No question in my mind that aluminum is softer than mild steel and mild steel is softer than 300 series stainless but I still think calling it a sledge hammer was pretty sleazy on Tesla's part.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Sleazy/Marketing term, the wise consumer can discern the difference.

The mallet took second seat to the smashed window. Accidental/Intentional marketing gold. My money on accidental.

Either way, give the person who suggested the steel ball test, looked like steel, may be adamatium, a large bonus.

Unrelated to the above
If Tesla reviews this post, give me a win and let me haggle 5 cents off the purchase price.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
A 10lb dead blow is still a 10lb sledge hammer it just covered rubber to prevent surface mar. I assume the reason they used it was they didnt want scratch the door or maybe deaden the hammer sound. My tacoma door would have caved in with that hit and their point was made. I don't think it's at all disingenuous to call it a sledge hammer as some manufacturers call it a dead blow sledge hammer. And I disagree with calling it a mallet because a mallet is for 1 handed operation.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Like a croquet mallet?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Like a croquet mallet?
I challenge you to a croquet off! ? I agree that the croquet mallet is used with both hands and is thus miss named, probably because it is wooden. Polo mallet is also wooden and it is used 1 handed. But the outliers dont change the fact that what tesla used cannot be called a mallet. It was a dead blow hammer. It was intended to be used with 2 hands delivering large area force which makes it a sledge. I have to defend Elon on this because if I dont, who will?

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
I challenge you to a croquet off! ? I agree that the croquet mallet is used with both hands and is thus miss named, probably because it is wooden. Polo mallet is also wooden and it is used 1 handed. But the outliers dont change the fact that what tesla used cannot be called a mallet. It was a dead blow hammer. It was intended to be used with 2 hands delivering large area force which makes it a sledge. I have to defend Elon on this because if I dont, who will?
I will defend Elon if you don't. haha. I can't believe we are talking about whether the hammer hitting the door was legitimate. And whether the CT will be immune to softball sized hail going 122 mph.

5 years ago I had a big piece of ($650) stainless steel water jetted out of almost the same stuff these trucks are to be made of (probably same thickness). It's next to my shop. I will make a table out of it I guess=eventually. It's hail proof enough and it's flat. If hail dents it (or my cyber truck), I've got bigger problems. Isn't the glass the weak link on hail proof?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I agree that the croquet mallet is used with both hands and is thus miss named, probably because it is wooden. Polo mallet is also wooden and it is used 1 handed.
From this we get a clue that the distinguishing feature of a mallet is not the number of hands used to wield it but the fact that it is made of wood and that is indeed what you will find in many dictionaries which describe it as a hammer (obviously - L. malleus) usually made of wood though some define it by the cylindrical shape of the head, some by the soft striking surface, some by its purpose (intended to drive a chisel) and so on. From the first sentence of the Wikipedia article: "A dead blow hammer is a specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck..." (emphasis mine)"

But the outliers dont change the fact that what tesla used cannot be called a mallet. It was a dead blow hammer.
which is a specialized mallet.

It was intended to be used with 2 hands delivering large area force which makes it a sledge.
The device is intended to minimize damage to the struck surface which it achieves in several ways. One is through the large area which results in less force per unit area (distributes the energy over area). The other is through the use of soft material for the face (distributes the energy over time). This is what immediately caught my eye in the reveal video:

Tesla Cybertruck Hail proof ? Untitled 2

Elon's words "Franz has a sledgehammer...". Whoa! That's not a sledgehammer! It's got a plastic head (probably filled with shot which also distributes energy over time). It's a dead blow mallet! If he'd hit it with a sledgehammer it would have dented. But he hit it with "specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck surface and in controlling striking force" which he called a sledge hammer. That's misleading

I have to defend Elon on this because if I dont, who will?
One of the most interesting aspects of this is that I just shrugged it off. I'm not going to admit, even to myself, that my god has feet of clay. Eventually I did mention it in a post and asked whether I was the only guy who noticed this. At that point, several people came forward and said that they did but no one had mentioned it. So if you are going to defend Elon on this you'll have to admit to yourself that you are an incurable fan boy. Despite my more realistic assessment I still am.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
From this we get a clue that the distinguishing feature of a mallet is not the number of hands used to wield it but the fact that it is made of wood and that is indeed what you will find in many dictionaries which describe it as a hammer (obviously - L. malleus) usually made of wood though some define it by the cylindrical shape of the head, some by the soft striking surface, some by its purpose (intended to drive a chisel) and so on. From the first sentence of the Wikipedia article: "A dead blow hammer is a specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck..." (emphasis mine)"

which is a specialized mallet.

The device is intended to minimize damage to the struck surface which it achieves in several ways. One is through the large area which results in less force per unit area (distributes the energy over area). The other is through the use of soft material for the face (distributes the energy over time). This is what immediately caught my eye in the reveal video:

Untitled 2.jpeg

Elon's words "Franz has a sledgehammer...". Whoa! That's not a sledgehammer! It's got a plastic head (probably filled with shot which also distributes energy over time). It's a dead blow mallet! If he'd hit it with a sledgehammer it would have dented. But he hit it with "specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck surface and in controlling striking force" which he called a sledge hammer. That's misleading

One of the most interesting aspects of this is that I just shrugged it off. I'm not going to admit, even to myself, that my god has feet of clay. Eventually I did mention it in a post and asked wheter I was the only guy who noticed this. At that point, several people came forward and said that they did. So if you are going to defend Elon on this you'll have to admit to yourself that you are an incurable fan boy. Despite my more realistic assessment I still am.
And yet... 10lbs at the end of a stick swung by Franz is still 10lbs. If Elon said now Franz is going to hit the object with a mallet it would have been even more incorrect then saying sledgehammer. I wouldnt say I'm a fanboy prior to cybertruck... I liked the stuff Elon was doing but didnt really pay attention. But cybertruck is fantastic! Gets hit by a sledgehammer and goes back to hunting replicants. Cybertruck dont care.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
And yet... 10lbs at the end of a stick swung by Franz is still 10lbs.
The blows delivered by a sledge with a 10 lb head and a dead blow with a 10 lb head are entirely different and that is why both types of hammers/mallets are made. If you want to break something you hit it with a sledgehammer (check the definition). If you want to knock it out of the way without damaging it you hit it with a dead blow. The impulse for both is the same (if they have the same weight and are brought to the same velocity) but the pressures from the dead blow, by design, do not reach the levels they would with a sledge. If I poured a barrel of beer on you from a second story window the effect would be a lot diferent than if I dropped the barrel on you from the same window though in both cases I've hit you with about 120 pounds of beer.

If Elon said now Franz is going to hit the object with a mallet it would have been even more incorrect then saying sledgehammer.
It would have been perfectly accurate. He hit it with "a specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck surface and in controlling striking force" That's what a dead blow hammer is.

They have asked me not to correct peoples' English or get too geeky here so I am not going to say any more on this.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The blows delivered by a sledge with a 10 lb head and a dead blow with a 10 lb head are entirely different and that is why both types of hammers/mallets are made. If you want to break something you hit it with a sledgehammer (check the definition). If you want to knock it out of the way without damaging it you hit it with a dead blow. The impulse for both is the same (if they have the same weight and are brought to the same velocity) but the pressures from the dead blow, by design, do not reach the levels they would with a sledge. If I poured a barrel of beer on you from a second story window the effect would be a lot diferent than if I dropped the barrel on you from the same window though in both cases I've hit you with about 120 pounds of beer.

It would have been perfectly accurate. He hit it with "a specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck surface and in controlling striking force" That's what a dead blow hammer is.

They have asked me not to correct peoples' English or get too geeky here so I am not going to say any more on this.
I do like beer.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
It really does not matter about the specific tool used. It is more important that the demonstration used the same tool on each door with different results. Yes a steel hammer would have done more damage to the CT door, however it would have done incredibly more damage to the Ford door.
Sponsored