Has anyone tried to polish the stainless steel to a mirror finish?

sylvius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast FS ordered
Country flag
Given the hardness of the stainless I bet it would take a lot of elbow grease to get a high gloss surface and if you managed it the glare would probably make the truck a hazard on the road both to you and others. I would think it could be achieved, though, if someone really wanted to.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
Not hard to polish the stainless, the problem arises when using power tools to polish around trim pieces, bumpers, and so forth. Be an interesting look, difficult to maintain and likely easier to achieve with a wrap.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
im sure it’s coming. And it will be pulling a shiny Airstream trailer😁

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I have a Prevost tour bus that I lease out to bands.

Replacement panels and bumpers sold by Prevost are not polished, so you either send them out to get polished before installing or you learn how to do it yourself.

With the right tools and materials, you could absolutely polish the CT.

Prepping with a 4 step sanding process is essential, then "cutting" compound and wheel, then "color" compound and white final buff wheel would probably take 20-40 hours.

I'm no pro, but if I can do it a pro shop (maybe only a handful I'm aware of) could make it CT look AMAZING!

Down side? Weekly upkeep. I haven't found any ceramic coatings or sealants that don't mess up the surface of polished stainless steel.

Teslarossa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model X Plaid, 2018 Model 3 Performance, etc
Occupation
EV conversions of Classic ICE vehicles
Country flag
I have been thinking the same think - about polish vs wrap. The stainless body is already deny resistant and strong. Adding a vinyl or PPF covering can change the color and make it look great, but your back to worrying about scratches and fading of this consumable material. Polished stainless would look way nicer for years, right?

Do you have a link to your bus rental biz? I have a band and we tour….
Sponsored