Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This makes me feel much better about my spot. I expect my CT to have some improvements over the first 1000. Even if it is with Home Depot parts, I am cool with that. At least I know it is a part I can get.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am willing to take the risk, it is just very sad that buying what will end up (after all the expesive add-ons and taxes) being close to a $100,000 truck will be put together with less quality and car than any popular brand whose name any of us would recognize. I think there is a middle ground between a blue-bearded fanboy and a Tesla hating red-neck that parks his Chevy truck at a charging station. I don't think that it is too much to ask to have a car that is put together correctly and to some reasonable level of tolerance.
I feel your pain. No one wants to pay through the nose for a brand new car and have to live with annoyances from the first day. I want to have it all too but the fact is a newer agile company can give you some innovations faster than the older big boys at the expense of other things. I fully expect the fit and finish of CT to be bellow that of Rivian or Hummer but if Tesla can deliver, I appreciate having the option to pay $20-$70K less For an electric Truck. What you are looking for is something like B250e, Mercedes fit and finish with Tesla powertrain.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Back in my Army days we had a saying......."if it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid".
Sure, but in my opinion, it would be stupid for any of us to accept an amateur, janky assembly line fix from the (far and away) world's most valuable car manufacturer. I get that most of that valuation comes from their innovation and bets on their continued leadership in this vanguard BEV space but with those extreme (and increasing) financial resources available to the company, it's high time for Tesla to have SOME increased focus on quality.

I waited more than a month after reveal to reserve my Cybertruck. I'm hopeful that being 400,000th in line means that any major new model bugs are worked out, and that there will be an increased corporate focus on quality by then. I'm not in a hurry to get mine, but I don't want to be disappointed by a basic lack of quality at delivery.

I test drove Mercedes-Benz and BMW cars in my search for my next car, but steered away from those brands because of trusted and consistent feedback about lack of reliability. Here is one isolated case: my neighbor has a beautiful $150,000 S550 Cabriolet. Recently, it was at the dealer for almost 2 weeks because of a failed KEY FOB!! Really??
The best part: Mercedes motto is "The best, or nothing".

For 2021, Tesla is second to last on the Consumer Reports list of reliable brands, only beating out Lincoln. Mercedes-Benz and BMW are well above Tesla, but below the reliability leaders and even Dodge.

Tesla ranked last on JD Power's quality ranking for 2020.

You can watch YouTube videos all day of Teslas beating Dodge Demons at drag strips. However, Dodge ( including Ram Trucks) is beating Tesla in reliability. Ouch.

These things ought to be embarrassing for Tesla. If not, shareholders should understand that build quality will impact their rise beyond dedicated fans to the general car buying public.

I have faith that Tesla will knock quality out of the park when they focus on it, but the time is now while they are constrained by battery capacity.

cyberda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Cyber (Ordered)
Country flag
Sure, but in my opinion, it would be stupid for any of us to accept an amateur, janky assembly line fix from the (far and away) world's most valuable car manufacturer. I get that most of that valuation comes from their innovation and bets on their continued leadership in this vanguard BEV space but with those extreme (and increasing) financial resources available to the company, it's high time for Tesla to have SOME increased focus on quality.
I am in complete agreement with you. I've about the same position in line (400's), but I have gone from being excited to wary of what they might deliver in terms of quality. And it shouldn't be that way... especially for the CT! Yes there are lots of people that will accept whatever flaws it may have, just so they have one in their driveway. People who buy trucks need reliability and quality. How proud can you be of your vehicle if its dead on the jobsite, or has to go into service for weeks to replace some computer chip that failed? How is running after 5 years? 10 years? Somethings got to give.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
If folks are that concerned about the supposed 'bad quality' of Tesla vehicles, dont buy one!

If you like the product that Tesla puts out, then youre good to go.

From my experience, owning one of the first 25k cars that Tesla has ever made, I will not hesitate for a second to purchase another one.

This is all hypothetical complaining, about hypothetical issues, that may not happen on a 400k+ VIN CT that wont get delivered until 4 years from now. I mean seriously?! This is the type of fodder that Inside EVs writes articles about and the misinformation grows.

Lets just wait until the truck comes out, then you can comb over the pictures I post of my vehicle and you can rip it apart at that point. (and im not going to care, becasue i will have my CT!)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How proud can you be of your vehicle if its dead on the jobsite, or has to go into service for weeks to replace some computer chip that failed? How is running after 5 years? 10 years? Somethings got to give.
Well, because Tesla was willing to go and source immediate if poorly color matched parts, no cars had that problem.

Which was this thread: Do you want a car that works, or one which waited for it to fail first? Looks good or performs?

I have panels in the engine compartment sewn with tent line and baling wire. I have the proper plastic brackets now, but... The fix works, and no one can see it. So why does it matter if it's a little ugly?

-Crissa

cyberda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Cyber (Ordered)
Country flag
If folks are that concerned about the supposed 'bad quality' of Tesla vehicles, dont buy one!

If you like the product that Tesla puts out, then youre good to go.

From my experience, owning one of the first 25k cars that Tesla has ever made, I will not hesitate for a second to purchase another one.

This is all hypothetical complaining, about hypothetical issues, that may not happen on a 400k+ VIN CT that wont get delivered until 4 years from now. I mean seriously?! This is the type of fodder that Inside EVs writes articles about and the misinformation grows.

Lets just wait until the truck comes out, then you can comb over the pictures I post of my vehicle and you can rip it apart at that point. (and im not going to care, becasue i will have my CT!)
Believe me, I won't buy it! I'm not dropping $80k CDN on a machine I can't rely on. I am so glad I'm not in the first 300k orders! When my number comes up, either Tesla will be delivering a quality product, or I will have plenty of other options. Yes this is a bunch of hypotheticals! As consumers we can only evaluate based on Teslas current behavior, which has not been stellar as of late. Reading the experiences some owners have, I get flashbacks at attempting to getting service at a Chrysler dealership in the 80's (before I discovered Japanese built products).

I think CT is a very cool, unusual looking vehicle that would deliver all the tasks I need a truck for. I want to buy one! But I'm not accepting a half baked product.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I'd like to chime in on the early roll out cars. I had two M3's, both early 2018's and sub 20k VINs. The first one was great, but we got rid of it because it was black and we found a great deal on a red one with 20's. Mmmmm!

Anyway, I digress. They are both great cars, very reliable, have had very few issues (minor things like a USB port shorting out, etc) in their combined 40k miles so far. Panel gaps? Uhh sure, where's my microscope so I can see them?

I haven't bothered to look under the frunk cover of both cars. If there's anything abnormal or unusual, meh. The cars both drove great and have been fantastic from day 1!

Oh, and there's something called a warranty. I know 100% that if some "hanky fix" they put on from the factory were to break during the warranty period, they would fix it with something more stable/professional. So you know, I guess service is important too! Funny how nobody brings up the warranty as a possible solution for these "whacky production issues" in their articles.

At the end of the day, no car is perfect. No manufacturer is perfect. Every new car will have little issues here and there when you look close enough, unless maybe you're spending $1mil for a Boughatti and they have the time to pay people to look over everything 100 times.

Tesla's are by far better than any other car I've owned or been in, even the early ones. I can't wait to be in my CT!!

Also keep in mind, 400k in line means less than you think. You could be the 50k person to get delivery due to your geographic location, your configurations, etc. ? Same goes with sub-100k preorders and being the 200k person to get a CT!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Guys, if you want to know what you are getting into, get one of the Toyota’s that have not had a design change in over a decade. We know CT is going to be a crapshoot when it comes out. Be at peace with it and grateful that a lot of issues have been discovered and resolved in other Teslas already and those fixes will be moved to CT.

Reading all the post, I get a feeling Tesla is running a social experiment on us to see the impact of withholding information on reservation holders. To see if runaway speculations and assumptions deteriorate our mental stability. Repeat after me; Serenity Now..........

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I got a 2019 Model 3 LR AWD which I didn’t notice at first had its right hand rear side door sticking a bit out when closed. Clicked service in the app, spent an hour there on WiFi while drinking cappuccino and drove home with a properly aligned door. When there I even pointed at a little rough edge of plastic on the rear light and they just changed that as well on the spot.

It’s a mystery how it left the factory with the door issue even though it is black, and I would have preferred it to be aligned from the start but at least they do everything they can to fix it with the least hassle. I’ve had mobile service where they put on the free mud flaps while I’m at work too. Also once I was in because the app said the window was always open. Turned out to be an app issue.

Zero Norwegian Crowns have I ever spent at any of their service centers. Unlike other dealers they didn’t deprioritize the work, try to pin it on me, or try to find something else to charge me for somehow.

That’s a huge difference from other brand’s dealers here.

I once noticed a dent in a door on a VW Touran which had just been delivered to me from Germany, and I noticed it when stopping at a gas station on the way home and went back. Had a huge quarrel about it as they said they couldn’t do anything about it as I had “accepted” the car at the store and they couldn’t know where it happened. After weeks I got a discount on fixing it.

I’m no fan of Elon or a Tesla diehard (no offense @Diehard! ?), but I really like to be taken care of even after parting with my money (firmware updates adds to that). And while I think Tesla should focus more on quality assurance ( at least at the time) I also see how it happens at that growth rate. I myself chose to prioritise range, tech, infrastructure and service when buying the car.

Last edited:

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Exactly! Tesla service is much better than people think, thanks to media spitting in Tesla's eye about issues years ago.

Also, keep in mind that unlike any other manufacturer who makes a TON of money on service, Tesla's chief engineer said on the 2020 Q4 earnings call that their goal is to eliminate the need for service entirely in the form of releasing the perfect car. This is highly improbable, but definitely an excellent goal to shoot for!

Tell me one other auto manufacturer who is happy with pursuing that goal, it'll put a lot of dealers out of business if they did! Legacy auto has huge income streams from service and repair, Tesla does not want you to even need service on a car. Big difference!

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I went to a meeting of Tesla owners (and wanna be's) at the Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham last weekend.
I met a Tesla rep from Atlanta and gave him my contact info.
Yesterday I got a call from another Tesla rep in Atlanta and he seemed to be very proactive even when I explained that I was waiting on a CT.
He told me that Atlanta would be where I'll be picking my CT up and where any service would be performed that could not be done by a mobile tech. That is about a five hour round trip for me depending on traffic.
That does give me a warm fuzzy that they are concerned with customer service even before a sale.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
, I suspect that it can be largely ignored. It is clear from the photograph that a kludgy solution to mounting the device was employed by someone for some reason (perhaps rattling, perhaps leakage, perhaps the mounts were inadequate, etc.). The original proposition is certainly true for any vehicle or manufacturer; it cannot hurt to be out around 100K in the reservation list for a new vehicle. I have seen similar on my Lexus. But that article was ‘written’ by someone with an agenda so I have to ignore it.
"The way the ‘article’ is written, with abusive language ...."

You're right. The Jalopnic site sometimes presents cute and interesting takes, but the overall tone is sarcastic and derisive, with plenty of what they take to be "adult" language. And whenever they address anything to do with Tesla, you can almost see the smirks that precede the first keystroke.
Sponsored