I would trade aerodynamics and range for a more conventional pickup bed.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Guys, why resurrect a 4 year old thread?…
No kidding. I guess to each their own but I swear some folks get off on making posts that are theoretical at best but waste the time of those of us that are in the que to own a CT and are here to get information and discuss what the CT is, will be, and when we will get it. If you want to redesign it from scratch or buy another truck, well, maybe there’s a forum that is a better fit than “CyberTruck Owner’s Club”.

CYBR117

First Name
Flavius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RN112750395
Country flag
With all the slide out drawer systems we have available today versus a few years ago. I wouldn’t trade it. You can get slide outs that carry 2000lbs. You can have the best of both worlds. Aero and access.

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Keeny has not been active on this forum since Feb 2022. This thread should be left for the archives…..

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You're going to have those options with other EV truck brands, but most in here already decided they like the Cybertruck just the way it is.

If you're so obsessed with the conventional truck bed but still must have a Tesla, go ahead and purchase your plasma torch, body grinders, welders, and machinist tools and have at it.

- ÆCIII

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
No kidding. I guess to each their own but I swear some folks get off on making posts that are theoretical at best but waste the time of those of us that are in the que to own a CT and are here to get information and discuss what the CT is, will be, and when we will get it. If you want to redesign it from scratch or buy another truck, well, maybe there’s a forum that is a better fit than “CyberTruck Owner’s Club”.
Perhaps the CyberTruck Speculators Club. Oh wait... that would be half the threads here... Maybe you should send them to the Cybertruck Denigrators Club... That group would have had a lot of traction over the last few years.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The sail sections are not necessary for strength. Plenty of trucks are plenty strong enough with a mere pair steel rails connecting the front to the back. Those rails are about 6" high and only about 1/8" thick C-shaped sections.
You mean like this?
Tesla Cybertruck I would trade aerodynamics and range for a more conventional pickup bed. 1696877868387

or like these examples:
Tesla Cybertruck I would trade aerodynamics and range for a more conventional pickup bed. 1696877930457

Or this:
Tesla Cybertruck I would trade aerodynamics and range for a more conventional pickup bed. 1696877975176

Maybe a Ram 3500 with dualies has stronger frame rails?
Tesla Cybertruck I would trade aerodynamics and range for a more conventional pickup bed. 1696878176715

Sure, Tesla could have built a conventional truck if it made sense. Instead, they saw it was not being done in a way that made sense except to the extent that a body on frame truck requires less engineering, one of Tesla's stand-out strengths. Why not leverage their engineering and materials science strengths to beat Detroit at their own game?

A twin I-beam frame needs to be much heavier (and use more steel) to obtain the same strength as a unibody. That's how Tesla has built an electric truck with about the same weight as a truck with less cargo capacity and no batteries. It will handle better too, without that flexy frame underneath.

If Tesla made the sloped back cover and side sails removable or optional, they could capture even more of the traditional truck market. By locking in a less general-purpose configuration, the CyberTruck is less versatile. and will appeal to a smaller market.
So, you are saying legacy auto doesn't have to worry that Cybertruck will eat into the sales of their most profitable vehicles?

OK Sparky, let's see how that works out for them!
Sponsored