IS THE CYBERTRUCK ELIGIBLE FOR THE HUMMER TAX CREDIT??

adenwilson924

First Name
Aden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
CYBERTRUCK: Lighter than Model X 7 seater? Hummer Tax Credit Eligibility? Lighter Than 6,000 LBS. !!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I bet the EV Hummer qualifies! Sorry folks but IMHO this is the kind of government BS that doesn't need to happen!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I bet the EV Hummer qualifies! Sorry folks but IMHO this is the kind of government BS that doesn't need to happen!
Well... Batteries are going to cost more up front than fuel, even if fuel costs more in the long run. And we want more EVs on the road, because many of those costs of burning fuel - emissions, fire danger, foreign shocks to the fuel supply, even climate change - are paid for by everyone instead of the person who bought that fuel-burning vehicle.

So it makes sense to underwrite some of the transition.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well... Batteries are going to cost more up front than fuel, even if fuel costs more in the long run. And we want more EVs on the road, because many of those costs of burning fuel - emissions, fire danger, foreign shocks to the fuel supply, even climate change - are paid for by everyone instead of the person who bought that fuel-burning vehicle.

So it makes sense to underwrite some of the transition.

-Crissa
So GM or any company, should be rewarded with tax breaks for creating heavy, wasteful vehicles that only the rich can afford? I don't think so.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So GM or any company, should be rewarded with tax breaks for creating heavy, wasteful vehicles that only the rich can afford? I don't think so.
They're less wasteful than the ones they sell now.

And how we do it is always up for debate!

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, absolutely because the adoption of electric vehicles benefits everyone, rich or poor. Reminds me of Margaret Thatcher's comment that one of the (many) inconsistencies of liberal thinking was that they would rather have everyone worse off than enact policy that benefited the rich in any way.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, but Thatcher took advantage of the inverse, so she would know. Grr.

We do need to encourage cheaper options lest the incentive just become a profit-taking. I think that's why it was supposed to fade out per manufacturer, but honestly, I think it faded too fast.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The Hummer tax loophole has nothing to do with Electric. It's for vehicles over 6000lbs. It's a massive giveaway for business tax deductions. Here's something GM puts out that's interesting.

https://www.cadillac.com/tax-deduction

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I would like to see an income tiering for EV tax incentives.
The more you make the less you get.
Riding around and getting behind some older vehicles with bad exhaust reminded me we should do another cash for clunkers, but would love to see it also give more for a hybrid and even more for an EV.
The more EVs and hybrids on the road, less exhaust I will be sucking while riding my motorcycle.

Ramojarocho

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 09 C300 4matic, 98 Chevy 1500
Occupation
Automotive Industry Muth Mirror Systems
Country flag
We need more support from our Government. Other countries are backing EV’s because they know the benefits that have on our planet and the end user. Can’t wait for my CT!

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
We need more support from our Government. Other countries are backing EV’s because they know the benefits that have on our planet and the end user. Can’t wait for my CT!
A great example of this is Norway! Look up how they have done their EV incentives over the years and where they are at today. The M3 is their best selling car (yes, in ALL vehicle sales, not just EV), and the ratio of EV to gas sales year over year is insane! Granted, I know Norway is MUCH smaller per capita and geographically than the US, but we can definitely learn something from them on how to encourage EV sales.

This chart is 2 years old and new EV sales in Norway have already caught up to half all new vehicle sales back then. Where's America? Oh, that sliver at the bottom...

Tesla Cybertruck IS THE CYBERTRUCK ELIGIBLE FOR THE HUMMER TAX CREDIT?? Electric%20vehicle%20share%20chart

Just imagine what a breath of fresh air feels like in Norway vs LA... ?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
As the free market adapts, you are not going to need government welfare to change. As battery prices decline then parity to ICE will be achieved. With mass production it will soon become below parity. When that happens the choice for the consumer will be obvious. Think about Tesla’s $25,000 compact car. Instead of some box from China you can have a car made by the most (arguably) advanced car maker in the world who has been developing infrastructure as well as cars.

It is far easier to get to 50% EV of new car sales in a country smaller than some of our cities. Even in the graph you showed the US buys 5x more EVs than Norway per year. This is not an apples/apples comparison. Cars are more prevalent in the US. We have fewer and less efficient mass transit options. Our distances from place to place are greater and we have much fewer restrictions on car ownership than any European country. We have way more cars, period. Only Arab sheiks who have so much money they buy a new car when the ashtray fills up will dump a perfectly good new ICE car for an EV. Obviously I am using an extreme example to prove a point so you can cool your keyboards in reply. My point is ICE cars are going to be around a long time. As the tech gets better and cheap those older ICE vehicles will be decommissioned at ever increasing rates.
Sponsored

Last edited: