Is the Foundation Series worth it?

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
šŸ¤”
Is there anyone who's been offered a Foundation Series who doesn't have a Powerwall?

If you already have a Powerwall then the $4000 PowerShare allowance is worthless.
I do not have a power wall or solar (I do have a 20kw General with a transfer switch!)
Sponsored

cyberwulf

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still Waiting
Country flag
itā€™s just a new wall charger that has home backup enabled (allows reversal of current). Currently a wall charger is $500-$600. Mine cost $250 for my electrician to charge. But it was litteraly right next to my main panel.

so if you donā€™t have a wall charger already or have a long run to add one, thatā€™s definitely a plus.

For me, I could buy the new home wall charger (how much more would they charge for this added home charge feature?). Based on OPā€™s calcs $1,000 more. So a $1,600 charger. I could literally install that myself as I already have the wiring ran.

Damnit, more and more reasons for me not to impulse buy the Fodation series šŸ˜‚

But now that I think of it, there has to be some additional special wiring an electrician has to do because I would think you canā€™t send power into your main panel through the same breaker that your charging circuit is on. Like there has to be another output power out of the charger that feeds the ENTIRE panel. So that idea does seem like an expensive installā€¦.
Reverse feed thru same breaker is ok. The issue is disconnecting your house from the incoming feed from the power co. , the laws vary state to state. It has to be automated same as when using solar / generator as back up power (vs permanent). It isn't cheap and most all electric companies have to approve, inspect and sign off on the installation

swinefeaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Awd
Country flag
I'm a 11277 reservation holder for a tri motor, haven't received any email invite yet. I have a model x non plaid right now that I got in late 2022, which I got since the roof of the 2010 Ford escape started leaking haha. I was hoping to at least break even with the ct after trading in the model x. It's got 18k miles on it. I might end up going for the dual instead of the tri, cause besides acceleration and fomo, I don't set the point of the extra costs.

RIH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Y
Country flag
how abut installation for POWERSHARE HOME BACKUP? for dual motor, didn't mention include installation fee

MInnesooooooota

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just some junk.
Occupation
Business
Country flag
Reverse feed thru same breaker is ok. The issue is disconnecting your house from the incoming feed from the power co. , the laws vary state to state. It has to be automated same as when using solar / generator as back up power (vs permanent). It isn't cheap and most all electric companies have to approve, inspect and sign off on the installation
Power from Solar and battery are different. Solar is a feed, battery is a draw.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
The PowerShare feature is very enticing. In preparing for the zombie apocalypse, I have a large solar array and 3 powerwalls. Yet, having the huge Cybertruck battery available to bank and distribute the generated power back will give me a lot of flexibility when the zombies do come.

Now if the PowerShare feature was a paid for add on feature, much like FSD, it would really make the Foundation series a much more palatable expenditure.

As it is, I do expect the price to go down in the future. As mentioned previously, the S and X models are less expensive than a few years ago. But I have had those years of enjoyment driving those vehicles, and still enjoy them. If the CT drops in price in 4 years, Iā€™ve have had 4 years of enjoyment. Iā€™m not getting younger and I choose to seize the day.
Bravo. I am in the same (age outlook) boat as you and will take one as soon as they offer it to me, RN112787xxx. Carpe diem indeed.

Also donā€™t forget about the better build quality these initial trucks should have -

As Musk once said during an interview with Sandy Munro,
ā€œFriends ask me, when should they buy a Tesla. Well, either buy it right at the beginning, or when production reaches a steady state," Musk said. "But during that production ramp, it's super hard to be in vertical climb mode and get everything right on the little details. It's just a super difficult thing."

Going by the latest factory videos where they admit they are running things as slow as one quarter speed, these initial Cybertrucks should be well built indeed.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
The deal with FSD is that it's included in the Foundation Series ($12k). But I have FSD reserved for $7k, and with the Non-Foundation Series All-Wheel drive, it's under $80k, so I get the $7500 Tax credit, which makes the Truck $79,490 with FSD.

So you can look at it that both versions come with FSD included.

Now, its $20k difference for everything else besides FSD
I wouldnā€™t necessarily count on them honoring the $7K FSD price considering weā€™re excitedly overpaying for the truck generally. The value shouldnā€™t be based on what it could be worth 20 years from now unless youā€™re going to go over budget and make payments to drive it 2 miles on Sundays. Cars that fit that category are always low mileage in near new condition. What fun is that? None of use waited 4 years to find out we have to overpay then decided NOT to drive it. I want to say go for it but Itā€™s always easy to spend other folks money lol. Try to find the balance between what your heart wants and what is best for your family. No point in having your dream truck if it causes you misery at home.

OP
OP
CyberT

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I wouldnā€™t necessarily count on them honoring the $7K FSD price considering weā€™re excitedly overpaying for the truck generally. The value shouldnā€™t be based on what it could be worth 20 years from now unless youā€™re going to go over budget and make payments to drive it 2 miles on Sundays. Cars that fit that category are always low mileage in near new condition. What fun is that? None of use waited 4 years to find out we have to overpay then decided NOT to drive it. I want to say go for it but Itā€™s always easy to spend other folks money lol. Try to find the balance between what your heart wants and what is best for your family. No point in having your dream truck if it causes you misery at home.
I admit that I didnā€™t see the big price increase for the different trims, I was in thaw camp of 10% higher prices than 4 years ago. But this time I am confident šŸ˜‰ in Tesla honoring the FSD pricing from then because it literally said click here to guarantee this FSD price. Iā€™m paraphrasing here but Iā€™ve already decided that Iā€™ve waited 6 years (waited 2 years prior to the CT event for Tesla to make a truck) already and Iā€™m not willing to max out my budget for the next 6 years. So I will wait (hopefully not much longer) for the NON-Foundation series to launch

Sandman1962

First Name
Sel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S , Model X
Country flag
I posted the following in a different thread in response to a member cancelling their Foundation series order. I feel it is appropriate to repost here:

This may (or may not) muddy the waters a little bit. For my 2018 Model X , I can purchase FSD for $6000. This is less than the $7000 and the $12000 price bandied about in all the discussions.

And why do I get this price? Because I have paid for ā€œadvanced auto pilotā€ in my original order. At times this price was up to $9000 and it dropped back down (I cannot recall if it ever dropped lower than $6000).

Not that I advocate it at all, but in light of all the discussion of whether the Foundation edition price makes sense, could ā€œadvanced auto pilotā€ be a required purchase before the $7000 FSD be honored (in non-Foundation models)?

Excuse me if this has already be explored and discussed to death.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In my opinion, the foundation series is aimed squarely at Tesla enthusiasts. It will certainly depreciate far below MSRP in short order, and I doubt very seriously it will be any kind of collectors item after a couple decades (you would need to keep it in pristine condition, so that means covered in a garage and never drive it). If money is a concern, I recommend waiting.

Speaking of waiting, I suspect the non foundation dual motor reservation holders won't start seeing a trickle of deliveries until mid next year. Maybe even Q3/early Q4.

If you have the funds, the FS is worth it in my opinion so long as you plan on keeping the truck for more than a decade. If not, wait.

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
In my opinion, the foundation series is aimed squarely at Tesla enthusiasts. It will certainly depreciate far below MSRP in short order, and I doubt very seriously it will be any kind of collectors item after a couple decades (you would need to keep it in pristine condition, so that means covered in a garage and never drive it). If money is a concern, I recommend waiting.

Speaking of waiting, I suspect the non foundation dual motor reservation holders won't start seeing a trickle of deliveries until mid next year. Maybe even Q3/early Q4.

If you have the funds, the FS is worth it in my opinion so long as you plan on keeping the truck for more than a decade. If not, wait.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Tesla's sale price lol. Come on you know what I'm referring to.

Also, there is an obvious loophole left in the order agreement that anyone can use if they really need it.
Sponsored