Jeep Recon EV Revealed! Off-Roading All-Electric Version of Wrangler Basically...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
too late, they’ve already got a collaborator
FORD shoe’d their Bronco with AT’s at least. Jeep rushed renders dressed in street tires. Stellantis know better…its marque is slipping.

There’s this re-badge wine model, Giga strategy and MaaS scheme…DaaS concept that’s almost dead but for Canoo, Fisker and a bevy of offshore OEM’s bringing state-backed brands to the US market.

Up to 2030, BEV consolidation, fold and merger is going to rapidly follow execution missteps. New innovation beyond Tesla will sell, price will win shares of market and bi-furcation looks endemic for private transportation. BEV going high end performative vehicles and everybody else clawing back popularity shares, segments and niches.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My friend is soo unhappy with his Bronco. It has spent alot of time in the shop.

And he's not an offroad guy. He just bought it 'cause he lives up a mountain.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Maybe we didn’t read the same thing. There’ll still be a Wrangler.
The Magnetos were Easter Jeep Safari concepts.
They won’t drop it. My thought is that they’re trying to appeal to a wider crowd. I guess we’ll see.
Maybe I misunderstood first read. They say the brand will release 4 “zero-emissions” (?) vehicles by 2025, then I guess specify only 3? If so it does leave open the possibility that the unnamed 4th is a wrangler.

Perhaps my confusion stems from the Recon being a topless, doorless, off-road offering.

My instinct was that they’d not offer that to compete with a BEV Wrangler?

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Working
Country flag
Maybe I misunderstood first read. They say the brand will release 4 “zero-emissions” (?) vehicles by 2025, then I guess specify only 3? If so it does leave open the possibility that the unnamed 4th is a wrangler.

Perhaps my confusion stems from the Recon being a topless, doorless, off-road offering.

My instinct was that they’d not offer that to compete with a BEV Wrangler?
I totally get what you’re feeling. I guess I hope that they stick to their initial plan of having a BEV Wrangler (I believe that the post below yours shows that it’s on the roadmap).

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I've owned a couple of Wranger Unlimiteds and a Gladiator (which is an Unlimited plus a truck bed). There's really no comparison to this little thing, which is more like a Liberty/Patriot/Renegade. I'm not a snob who says those are bad, but they are just very different. They don't meet my desires in an off-roader. But this DOES meet it for many people. I have two friends with the small new Broncos who also love them for what they do. They just know it's not a rock crawler, but one has done some abusive things and come out well.

It's a good time for neat vehicles that are super useful *and* make fun toys. The Bronco/Recon class vehicles are a good all-around option for most people.

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckphotography.com
Vehicles
2012 JKU Call of Duty/ Modern Warfare Edition
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
The Recon is not a Wrangler replacement and Jeep is workong on a BEV Wrangler. I was able to ask Mr. Meunier my questions about a fully electric Wrangler. They are giving it a lot of attention.

As i see it, Jeep is giving the Wrangler owners two options. The Recon will appeal to the Wrangler buyer who wants open air and basic offroad capablity.

The BEV Wrangler will not have 300 miles of range and be more of a trailer rig for harder offroad trails.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
There's really no comparison to this little thing, which is more like a Liberty/Patriot/Renegade. I'm not a snob who says those are bad, but they are just very different. They don't meet my desires in an off-roader.
to be fair, can’t appearances be deceiving when it comes to these BEVs, depending on how they are outfitted?

at initial concept glance I wouldn’t have pegged the Rivian to be as capable as it turned out to be.

Jeep could, if it wanted, take a similar approach in the recon with true 4-wheel power, 4-wheel steering, adjustable air ride, onboard compressor, etc., and offer something just as capable or more than many wrangler trim levels.

But if they do, it would seem to be crowding their offerings!

As i see it, Jeep is giving the Wrangler owners two options. The Recon will appeal to the Wrangler buyer who wants open air and basic offroad capablity.

The BEV Wrangler will not have 300 miles of range and be more of a trailer rig for harder offroad trails.
this seems to me functionally close to saying Jeep isn’t doing a wrangler anymore.

what I mean is, at the point we’re saying “there won’t be a wrangler for mass consumption anymore, there’ll instead only be a specialty vehicle only a few people have a use case for” I would think we could just go ahead and say “the wrangler as we know it is out”

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
to be fair, can’t appearances be deceiving when it comes to these BEVs, depending on how they are outfitted?
Not in the context I'm talking about. You can pretty much glance at a vehicle and know if it's going to make it over the boulders around my area. That's why I'm careful not to say it's not good, but that it's not for me. The Recon gets e-lockers just like my last three Jeeps, but a lift and big tires looks problematic and very expensive at best, if even possible.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
too late, they’ve already got a collaborator

2F75C382-67B6-4E61-8D8A-ABC17B6607A5.jpeg
394F2E87-1728-4A0F-8E55-ABC317E2F397.jpeg
The funny thing here is I only skimmed the title and looking at the top photo assumed this was a thread about the GM vehicle. I hadn’t even realized Jeep had a pushed out a fantasy edition vehicle nearly identical to GMs.

This makes me wonder what the Cybertruck would look like without doors.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I hadn’t even realized Jeep had a pushed out a fantasy edition vehicle nearly identical to GMs.
And I didn't realize GM is making a fake Jeep. Still have no idea what it is.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And I didn't realize GM is making a fake Jeep. Still have no idea what it is.
I am now confused because I did some searching and there are some weird links which say “GM’s new SUV” and talk about the Equinox, but show pictures of the Jeep Recon.

I guess it doesn’t matter since neither the Jeep, not the imaginary GM SUV actually exist yet.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

at initial concept glance I wouldn’t have pegged the Rivian to be as capable as it turned out to be.

Jeep could, if it wanted, take a similar approach in the recon with true 4-wheel power, 4-wheel steering, adjustable air ride, onboard compressor, etc., and offer something just as capable or more than many wrangler trim levels.

But if they do, it would seem to be crowding their offerings!

this seems to me functionally close to saying Jeep isn’t doing a wrangler anymore.

what I mean is, at the point we’re saying “there won’t be a wrangler for mass consumption anymore, there’ll instead only be a specialty vehicle only a few people have a use case for” I would think we could just go ahead and say “the wrangler as we know it is out”
JEEP owes it popularity to WWII legend. It was a 4x4 go anywhere guys liked. But marrieds, AMC couldn’t get Momma to co-sign loans to purchase a vehicle they couldn’t drive. ~1966 AMC introduced the automatic JEEP. Not only did that solve Mommas’ objections, she liked driving anywhere, everywhere.
Recon arrives shoe’d in street tires, trail rated and removable doors. Recon echos 1966 lesson. Momma has to see car she can get into, drive and take kids. Dad sees OFFROAD Warehouse. JEEP leaves the offroad battle to the owners to sort out. Its there if they need it. Kinda like insurance.
Sponsored