Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Here's my math. I'm 75 y/o and there are no pockets in the shroud.
-15 on you, and of the same mind. I earned it. The kids can do it too. Told my dad if he wants to give all his money to the to charity when he dies he should. Did not earn brownie points with my brothers! :LOL:
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Justification for my single motor, hmmmm.

I got none. Its more then I pay for my Prius, probably higher "gas" and insurance cost, and more difficult to drive everyday.

its awesome and I plan to keep it for very very long. Mostly because I want an ev truck, or large van would work too

Last edited:

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
I buy a car every 10 years right before the reliability starts to drop and as it's starting to look beat up. The dual motor is a little more than I usually spend but should easily last 20 years before those issues start to come up. So much cheaper in the long run. Not to mention all the added value of the utility and versatility it offers.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Justification for my single motor, hmmmm.

I got none. Its more then I pay for my Prius, probably higher "gas" and insurance cost, and more difficult to drive everyday.
If you're a getting FSD (which I strongly recommend) then "more difficult to drive" will not be much of your problem ;)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
QUOTE="EVCanuck, post: 30288, member: 6835"]
If you're a getting FSD (which I strongly recommend) then "more difficult to drive" will not be much of your problem ;)
[/QUOTE]
True, but It will be a long time before i trust something to drive me, without paying attention.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
True, but It will be a long time before i trust something to drive me, without paying attention.
Of course! But just like it's always good to bring someone with you when you drive somewhere unfamiliar, FSD and Enhanced Autopilot and the safety aids are like having someone else to help look out for things.

I only have blind spot monitoring and a backup camera on my car and it's really great to have that second set of eyes to go 'hey!' when someone drifts into a blind spot.

-Crissa

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
QUOTE="EVCanuck, post: 30288, member: 6835"]
[/QUOTE]
And you're not alone with that sentiment. At one point driving with an FSD will be like having a plane flight, you know it can kill you but probability is close to zero. There will always be people that will not trust FSD just like there are people that don't fly...

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I need a small truck (joke) to get around, pick-up stuff for the home, take me fishing to a remote lake in backcountry, take wife out for a scenic drive, pick-up family at the airport and anything else that comes to my mind. Cybertruck will earn its keep and justified.

Last edited:

jcryer3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Ram Promaster
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I used to use $1.00 per mile as cost to own and operate. Now that is probably too low because depreciation is much greater since the initial cost to purchase anything has jumped substantially. .

Mudduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ct3
Country flag
Not where I'm from. I'd rather have the power to drive my CT by charging it from a 22 kW propane-powered standby generator and have the freedom to drive vs. being stuck at the house with a dead battery. Also need to keep the Misses happy by providing endless power for:

Two Refrigerators, (Kitchen plus Mother-In-Law Apartment)
One Chest Freezer,
One Well Pump,
One 2-ton A/C,
One 1-ton Mini-Split A/C, (M-I-L Apt.)
Led Lights throughout the house,
Two Computers,
One Grinder Pump for M-I-L Apt.
One Heat Pump Water Heater
Two Garage Door Openers
Security System plus cameras
Outside Perimeter Security Lighting

on the bright side, we Cook w/gas outside when needed.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Unless you are a business other than convincing your SO that you "need" a truck and trying to do that with numbers is a waste of time. You want it. If you can afford it, buy it. If you buy it buy the model with the greatest range you can afford. True you will not be taxing its range capability most of the time but when you need it it will be there. Someone here (I think) said extra range is like extra runway.

Though you don't need 500 miles range most of the time it confers benefit even when you don't use it. Suppose your daily use to be 100 miles. In a vehicle with a 250 mile range that's 40% of the range. Supposing that you want to stay out of the 20% > SoC > 80% range you would charge a 250 kWh vehicle from say 35% to 75% on a daily basis. With a 500 mile range vehicle you would charge from say 40% to 60% which would take just as long but is easier on the battery because it stays farther from the avoidance zones. At home in daily use this isn't a big deal as far as convenience is concerned but on the road suppose you like to travel in 200 mile chunks (break every 3 hours or so). That's going to be tough to manage in a 250 mile car because you'd have to charge from 10% to 90% to replace 200 miles and the odds of having charging stations located to fit 10 --> 90 where you want them to be is low. As an example of this in a 600 mile trip I do I only need to charge twice going in one direction but 3 times going in the other in a 351 EPA Model X because the first SC is too close to the departure point. With the 500 mile CT, by comparison, you only need to charge from 10% to 50% or from 20% to 60% or from 30% to 70% or even 40% to 80% thus granting you more flexibility on where the charger can be located (10% to 40% spans 150 miles i.e. 3/4 the span of the leg). Don't overlook the significance in this. I means that you can choose where to charge based on where you want to charge and not so much on the dictates of the battery. Charging over a smaller SoC band also results in reduced charging times as, even though you must take on the same amount of charge 10% to 50% keeps you out of the battery's taper region and even 40% to 80% takes you less far into it than 10% to 90% charge.

And, of course, should you be a road warrior who wants to do 300 or even 350-400 mile legs you can. Thus perhaps the word to best describe the advantage of longer range is to say that it grants flexibility.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I buy a car every 10 years right before the reliability starts to drop and as it's starting to look beat up.
Same! Which is why I was a little frustrated with all the 5y TCO estimates. I mean, I could double those and come close, but I wanted to see more precisely. Hence the spreadsheet I posted on p1 of this thread goes to 10y TCO for my primary truck options. :)

Ended up coming about $13k ahead on the CT versus Tundra. That delta helps me (try to) justify the $7k for FSD as an early reservation holder.
Sponsored