OverlandCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA sportage, Honda CRV
Occupation
student
Country flag
Does anyone know if we'll be able to put a lift kit on? I'd love to be able to put on some 37" tires and a 3" lift and have a total of 20" ground clearance. Or is that a bit overkill? Also would it be possible to put on 37s without getting a lift?
Sponsored

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
Overkill personally. I’m admittedly not a fan of lifted trucks, but, also would be concerned about the potential range hit. You would end up equaling the efficiency of an ICE truck with the extra drag created.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
While no one can say that for sure. My Land Rover with air suspension has the ability to run a 2" lift all the time with just some software mods or "Johnson rods" which fake out the height sensor.

So in theory yes, you could "lift" your cyber truck. But i am willing to bet 37's would fit stock and i can almost guarantee Tesla will have a built in "Off road" height. Maybe not 20" of GC but probably you could get close.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If they are going to test this in Baja, they are going to have to have an option (a setting or hardware differences) for more ground clearance and larger tires. 40" to 44" are not uncommon.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If they are going to test this in Baja, they are going to have to have an option (a setting or hardware differences) for more ground clearance and larger tires. 40" to 44" are not uncommon.
I would imagine they will probably run in the stock class along with the Ford Raptor and some others. In which case they wont run 40s. Plus when they win they will get more credibility than if they had some full on race monster.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You mean a truck like this?
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/shelby-baja-raptor

Not what I would call... stock.
Stock rubber is BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Size: LT315/70R17 and about 34.5" tall tire... not sure if they change to a larger tire than the stock, the article doesn't mention it.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
You mean a truck like this?
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/shelby-baja-raptor

Not what I would call... stock.
Stock rubber is BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Size: LT315/70R17 and about 34.5" tall tire... not sure if they change to a larger tire than the stock, the article doesn't mention it.
lol no, thats is just some factory modified truck. Im talking about "Stock Full" class.

Yeah.. the trucks usually do not remain COMPLETLY stock during baja, But this class leaves the majority of the truck as it would come from the factory.

Check out the rules for the class here.
http://score-international.com/raceinfo/rule-book/truck-classes/stock-full/

For an example, this is the Raptor Ford used in 2017:
Tesla Cybertruck Lift kit and 37's on Cybertruck? 1591282495842

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
CyberTruck would not be allowed, no air suspension allowed in this class.

The rules here make it easy for Ford to offer the Baja Raptor (which they did) and thus you have a limited edition truck that is 'manufactured and available' but is an hack on the rules, much like the superbirds mopar did.
Here is an example of one available now: 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor Shelby Baja Edition

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
CyberTruck would not be allowed, no air suspension allowed in this class.

The rules here make it easy for Ford to offer the Baja Raptor (which they did) and thus you have a limited edition truck that is 'manufactured and available' but is an hack on the rules, much like the superbirds mopar did.
Here is an example of one available now: 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor Shelby Baja Edition
In-correct. No air shocks allowed, hints why that is under the shocks and bump stops category. Air shocks are different from factory air strut suspension. All components must be stock as delivered by the manufacturer. Cybertruck has factory air suspension, it will be allowed to run in this class.

Also, Shelby is an aftermarket parts supplier. "Baja edition" is just a name..

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Depends on if the dealer orders it or if you can 'order' it from Ford.

Several Shelby mods were 'factory' trim levels in the past...

But after a look around the Ford website, it appears that you are correct, it is a dealer order option, not a manufacturer option.

But man, the amount of conflicting options that are offered... like you cannot have stowable ramps and a hard, folding tonneau cover.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This one could be interesting to implement on the CT. Since the air suspension is active and expecting a certain height of the truck it may become confused and/or error out the system.

There is also going to be the extra issues of connecting the motors with new wiring harnesses since the motors are on the axles (or we assume they will be like other Tesla's are).

It could severely mess with the center of gravity on the truck. Remember most of the weight is on the bottom, not in front like most trucks

lastly what would it do to the autopilot? The cameras are calibrated for certain distances/heights scanning for obstacles.

Otis

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
HEO
Country flag
Does anyone know if we'll be able to put a lift kit on? I'd love to be able to put on some 37" tires and a 3" lift and have a total of 20" ground clearance. Or is that a bit overkill? Also would it be possible to put on 37s without getting a lift?
I believe the tires are 37's. Look at the cybertruck next to other vehicles ... like the f 150 being pulled up the hill.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I believe the tires are 37's. Look at the cybertruck next to other vehicles ... like the f 150 being pulled up the hill.
Motortrend stated they are 35" tires.

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I would never lift a Cybertruck, just like you don't lift Raptors. If takes away a lot of the high speed off road performance and durability that comes from the factory.

But I wouldn't mind a 37" tires option.
Sponsored