Ludus

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick SUV
Country flag
One thing that pushed me to place my CT order was the fact that the ordering page had a check box for adding FSD for $7000 that said it would lock in that price.

I‘m curious what other people think about my take on this.

I expect based on what Elon and Tesla have said, that the FSD option will steadily rise in price as the capabilities of AP increase. For example when “Feature Complete” FSD is widely released in 2020. The endpoint of the price rises would be when FSD enables Teslas to operate under Tesla Network as Robotaxis summoned by a TN app that’s like Uber and when owners can choose to let their vehicles join for a share of the fees earned. At that point if the FSD software option bears the full value increase, a CT that costs $50k as a vehicle might have FSD software option priced at $50k too. Even at that price it might pay itself off in a couple years working full time available 24/7. (Based on Tesla’s presentation on Autonomy)

There wasn’t any way to bet on this increase in the price of the FSD option - until that check box on the CT order page. For $100 per vehicle, you can lock in a $7000 FSD price on a Tesla for at least the next 2 years. If during that period the price spread doesn’t make your order worth more, you can get your money refunded. If the price of FSD when your order comes up and you’re asked to proceed with the purchase is say $20k, since Tesla has consistent pricing, you can buy the vehicle for whatever it costs and resell it to make about $20k - $7k profit (minus some expenses).

It seems to me that the opportunity to lock in a $7000 price for FSD on a Tesla vehicle for 2 years, for a fully refundable $100 deposit is worth it even if you don’t think you’ll actually want to buy and keep the CyberTruck.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
It seems to me that the opportunity to lock in a $7000 price for FSD on a Tesla vehicle for 2 years, for a fully refundable $100 deposit is worth it even if you don’t think you’ll actually want to buy and keep the CyberTruck. Thoughts?
My thought is it's a good idea even if you do order the Cybertruck. Nothing says you have to take or pay for the FSD at that time, although not buying FSD will possibly move you back in line.

The rest of your conjectures I'll wait and see.

Treelon

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I agree Cyber_Dav, Would you pay (a fully refundable) $100 to lock in the price of a share of Tesla stock - so that 2.5 years from now, you could buy it at its current $350 per share - even if the price at that time is $550? I'd buy a lot of those options. If the stock price is $200, awesome - you get your refundable $100 back and buy the stock for $200. Seems like a no-brainer to me. You would probably move yourself back in the line by dropping FSD 2.5 years from now...

Dave

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I had a similar idea: preorder a handful of CT's with FSD to lock in the price, and by then (assuming the stars align) have a fleet of robotaxi CT's rolling around the streets and just summon one whenever I need a ride somewhere.

If robotaxis aren't a thing by the time CT's roll out, then I could cancel all the preorders except my own! It's hedging a bet with no risk!

Juanito

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
Hi everyone, I am from Australia and new here :) I totally agree that his is a no loose one way bet and I am pretty sure that someone at Tesla will soon figure that out and shut it down by not allowing multiple reservations that lock FSD in. I put in 12 so far and am thinking about even some more. In Australia we can not make a reservation for MY so this is the only option here. I am also pretty sure that we will have to wait at least until late 2023 for the right hand drive version to arrive and by that time the FSD function will definitely be way more expensive and there is even a realistic shot at robotaxi being live. This is taking Elon-Time into account ;). What do you guys think about this? Should we preorder more before shut down? No risk? Cheers from burning :( Down Under Jan

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Hi everyone, I am from Australia and new here :) I totally agree that his is a no loose one way bet and I am pretty sure that someone at Tesla will soon figure that out and shut it down by not allowing multiple reservations that lock FSD in. I put in 12 so far and am thinking about even some more. In Australia we can not make a reservation for MY so this is the only option here. I am also pretty sure that we will have to wait at least until late 2023 for the right hand drive version to arrive and by that time the FSD function will definitely be way more expensive and there is even a realistic shot at robotaxi being live. This is taking Elon-Time into account ;). What do you guys think about this? Should we preorder more before shut down? No risk? Cheers from burning :( Down Under Jan
Does a FSD car matter if it's right hand or left hand drive?

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I ordered the FSD and 3 motors because, by the time I'll get it I'll be 70 ...so, preferable to get help driving until I die... and I know it will be my last car...Hopefully receiving it as soon as possible...!!!

Juanito

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
Does a FSD car matter if it's right hand or left hand drive?
No, but because of the smaller addressable RHD market, the production of those variants usually starts at a much later date. The M3 started delivery in 2019 here in OZ!

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ordered the FSD and 3 motors because, by the time I'll get it I'll be 70 ...so, preferable to get help driving until I die... and I know it will be my last car...Hopefully receiving it as soon as possible...!!!
When I get my CT I'll be turning 76, so its attractiveness to me is driving like I'm 70ish! Ha ha. When I lose my coordination, my kids will drive and I'll play with the monitor!

OP
OP

Ludus

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick SUV
Country flag
So far, the notion seems to be valid. Tesla is increasing the FSD price and affirming that the CyberTruck FSD option locks in the price when the order is made.

This is still a way to place a bet that by the time Tesla produces a CyberTruck for your order, the price of FSD will be MUCH higher.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If FSD isn't free by the time I get mine, I don't need it. Cybertruckin by FSD is a sad joke, on us. When I can't do my driving with enhanced autopilot, my kids will drive...

Juanito

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
...but you‘ll have a hard time running your CT on the Tesla Robotaxi Network without FSD. That’s the whole point of this thread.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
If FSD isn't free by the time I get mine, I don't need it. Cybertruckin by FSD is a sad joke, on us. When I can't do my driving with enhanced autopilot, my kids will drive...
Ha, kinda like buying a supercar for a chauffeur to drive you around in. What's the fun in that?

Nikki2

First Name
Ed T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR with Dual Motors + Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Professional Grampa
Country flag
You're a youngster. I'll be 88 when my CB is delivered and it will be the 5th "last car I'll ever Buy". I'll opt for the camper insert and tour the country with my faithful long haired Dachshund, Socks

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You're a youngster. I'll be 88 when my CB is delivered and it will be the 5th "last car I'll ever Buy". I'll opt for the camper insert and tour the country with my faithful long haired Dachshund, Socks
Merci for your optomistic comments... We made 4 times the tour of your country... a lot of parks and beautiful sites to see... As we will not even travel by plane... the ct with fsd will be preferable,,, and to reach the super charger on 81 and 95 Hw as we will cross 1500 miles...From Québec to Fl.
Sponsored