Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Their intent was to buy into a car company.

That's intent enough for the purposes of Elon's announcement.

What do I think they want for their investment, you ask? Well, the investment in solar I think tells itself. They want to have cars and modern amenities when oil energy supply is constrained either by extraction costs or carbon taxes.

-Crissa
I recall some quote from a Saudi oil minister that 'the stone age did not end for the lack of stones'.
Electrical energy storage is the key/sole technology that kills the fuel use of fossil fuels. There is no law of nature that potentially prevents batteries from achieving much higher ED using chemistries/materials that are found everywhere and safe/sustainable.

Plastics? sure there is still some use for a fraction of the oil they pump.

I suspect the Saudis know that oil is on its way out so they will invest in the next big thing. Hopefully we will get the drill-baby-drill folks out of the way in the US to accelerate and promote the next technology.
Sponsored

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Lucid-Air-vs-Tesla-Model-S.jpg

Lucid Motors has released a new video of its Air electric sedan beating the Tesla Model S on a quarter-mile run with an insanely impressive 9.9-second time.

Lucid Motors is preparing to launch its highly anticipated Air electric sedan next week.
The electric car has been in the works for years, and it is getting a lot of hype lately, thanks to the third-party test results of the EPA range test putting the luxury sedan’s range at 517 miles on a single charge.
The automaker has been gradually releasing information, like the previously mentioned range, but also some impressive charging capacity and battery pack architecture.
In another release leading up to the unveiling, Lucid now confirms that the first version of the Air, the Lucid Air Dream Edition, is able to complete the quarter-mile in 9.9 seconds

They shared a video of the Air production prototype beating the Tesla Model S Performance:

Lucid wrote in the release:

Along with the announcement, Lucid has unveiled some of the technology enabling that.

leap-1290x879-1.png

Among the most impressive parts of Lucid’s powertrain, there are the drive unit and inverter that can deliver 650 hp in a very small package:

Lucid shared two images of the drive unit and inverter:

motor-1290x879-1.png

inverter-1290x879-1.png

They also shared an image of their “Wonderbox,” which is their bi-directional 19 kW charger:

wunderbox-1290x879-1.png

Finally, here’s an image of the Lucid Air’s battery pack, which was designed by leveraging years of development on Lucid Motors’ Formula E battery pack:

battery-pack-1290x879-1.png

The Lucid Air production version is going to be unveiled in full on September 9

Electrek’s Take
I saw a preview of the vehicle earlier this week and unfortunately, I cannot discuss it beyond what was released today until the actual unveiling, but I can tell you that I was quite impressed.

Lucid has some really compact and powerfull EV technology.

You should pay particular attention to the drive unit. Those kind of specs in that kind of package is several times better than the next-best technology on the market right now.

Source: ELECTREK
They show a planetary gear AND a gear reduction system. Seems redundant.

stangfish

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The Air looks like a fantastic luxury EV. Their direct competition is the Mercedes S class according to Rawlinson (Lucid's CEO) so it isn't a competitor of Tesla at this point. This should get luxury buyers to start looking seriously at BEVs which is a good thing.
Sponsored