Lucid Air EV Has a Projected 517 Miles of Range, and We Saw 458 Miles on a Real-World Ride-Along

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have to agree on this comment.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The sooner range increases to 1000 miles/charge, the sooner electrification will happen.
The breakpoint comes when the electric and ice vehicles have comparable range and the BEV is less expensive. We are pretty close to that in cars. It's a tall order in trucks and there is diminishing returns with respect to added weight vs added range with electric.

Interestingly enough I got notification of a car from Hyperion Companies Inc. with 1000 mile range. It is electric but the electricity comes from fuel cells. A 1000 mile CT would require battery specific energy about twice what it is today. This is thought to be possible but it's not going to happen any time soon.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
It's no coincidence that Lucid Motors announced this large range.

They are getting out in front of Tesla's big Battery Day announcement.

It is a common tactic used in business when one company tries to steal the thunder of a competitors known announcement by making some similar announcement out ahead of them, or releasing a competing product out in front of the competitor.

Samsung has being doing it for years with Apple in their fight for dominance in cell phones.
... and could be why Tesla chose right now to do a 5 for 1 stock split...

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
... and could be why Tesla chose right now to do a 5 for 1 stock split...

This 5 for 1 stock split is amazing in more ways than most people know.

Stock splits have been out of fashion for at least 15 yrs. But even when they were in fashion it was usually a 2 for 1 split and an occasional 3 for 1, but 5 for 1 was extremely rare and usually only in cases where companies were desperate and in financial trouble.

Ok, know for the Tesla story. Tesla has been dealing with short sellers for awhile now, and some famous ones at that, among them David Einhorn who finally threw in the towel.

But then here comes short seller Randeep Hothi who has a strange obsession with Tesla(maybe even Elon) and currently embroiled in lawsuits with Tesla. You can read about it here BUSINESS INSIDER.

Back in July another famous short seller(Carson Block) warned not to short Tesla, saying Elon "specializes in pulling rabbits out of the hat"

Well guess what Elon did. Wallaaaah, he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. He just wiped out all short sellers(I think his main target was Randeep) with the 5 for 1 stock split.

Yeah he says its to make Tesla stock more affordable. But there's more to the story.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Well it is vapor when it enters the fuel cell but it is liquid when stored in the tank. The vaporware would be the evaporator (liquid enters and flases to vapor - Voila! - gas) but that's only a tiny part of the vehicle.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well it is vapor when it enters the fuel cell but it is liquid when stored in the tank. The vaporware would be the evaporator (liquid enters and flases to vapor - Voila! - gas) but that's only a tiny part of the vehicle.

LOL

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Yeah, but I said sedan.

'Cause the topic was a sedan.

-Crissa
Yeah! Also, when you put a 50 gallon tank in the bed of your truck, it can be a little heavy AND takes up cargo space.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This 5 for 1 stock split is amazing in more ways than most people know.

Stock splits have been out of fashion for at least 15 yrs. But even when they were in fashion it was usually a 2 for 1 split and an occasional 3 for 1, but 5 for 1 was extremely rare and usually only in cases where companies were desperate and in financial trouble.

Ok, know for the Tesla story. Tesla has been dealing with short sellers for awhile now, and some famous ones at that, among them David Einhorn who finally threw in the towel.

But then here comes short seller Randeep Hothi who has a strange obsession with Tesla(maybe even Elon) and currently embroiled in lawsuits with Tesla. You can read about it here BUSINESS INSIDER.

Back in July another famous short seller(Carson Block) warned not to short Tesla, saying Elon "specializes in pulling rabbits out of the hat"

Well guess what Elon did. Wallaaaah, he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. He just wiped out all short sellers(I think his main target was Randeep) with the 5 for 1 stock split.

Yeah he says its to make Tesla stock more affordable. But there's more to the story.
Elon Musk Foils Short Sellers. Again.

Investors betting against Tesla are carrying some $20 billion in paper losses this year.
August 13, 2020

elon-musk-foils-short-sellers-again

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I don't think it was a coincidence that the stock split occurred roughly 5-weeks weeks before Battery Day. When Elon says the day will be "mind blowing" you know it's going to be big and the stock price will increase.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
It's no coincidence that Lucid Motors announced this large range.

They are getting out in front of Tesla's big Battery Day announcement.

It is a common tactic used in business when one company tries to steal the thunder of a competitors known announcement by making some similar announcement out ahead of them, or releasing a competing product out in front of the competitor.

Samsung has being doing it for years with Apple in their fight for dominance in cell phones.
Not convinced that's the case here.
If Lucid expect deliveries in early 2021 then final specs and performance criteria must be announced now.
I'm really excited and hope that they achieve the 500 mile + range.
It's great news for the EV industry as this will become the new benchmark and it won't be too long before several other manufacturers meet this standard. Remember the EV industry is very young and improvements will arrive in leaps and bounds. All this really seals the fate of the ice!
I grant Lucid the advantage which I believe will only be temporary.
My bet is that Tesla will match and beat this new benchmark before the first customer takes delivery of his Lucid Air.
Watch this space! Hold my beer!

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I grant Lucid the advantage which I believe will only be temporary.
Of course Lucid's advantage is temporary, they haven't even got a car of the production line and I doubt their expected first deliveries will be in 2021, more like 2022.

It's "game on" from here on out as to who has the most range.

The benchmark to reach is 1000 miles per charge and my bets are on Tesla to get there first.
Sponsored