DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I was getting my Prius serviced and saw the beaute (Toyota 4Runner 4x4venture package) for sale by dealer for 50K.

Tesla Cybertruck Man on bench not included PXL_20210902_154522566

We talk about the CyberTruck giving after the truck market. This price tag and offering got me thinking about how many people will choose a CT over a traditional SUV.

I have this gut feeling that the SUV crowd isn't interested in the covered truck but I could be wrong. Do you think the CT will cut into the SUV sales?
Sponsored

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was looking at large SUVs, but decided to wait for the CT. 6 passengers, plenty of storage in addition to all the other obvious CT coolness did it for me.

JudgeMetal

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was getting my Prius serviced and saw the beaute (Toyota 4Runner 4x4venture package) for sale by dealer for 50K.

PXL_20210902_154522566.jpg

We talk about the CyberTruck giving after the truck market. This price tag and offering got me thinking about how many people will choose a CT over a traditional SUV.

I have this gut feeling that the SUV crowd isn't interested in the covered truck but I could be wrong. Do you think the CT will cut into the SUV sales?
Are SUV sales really what they used to be?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think trucks and large SUVs have always had overlap. Heck a lot of early SUVs were just modified pick ups. I have a friend who is selling his Ford Flex to get an electric truck. If Tesla had launched a 4Runner sized SUV or even a van first, it would be on my short list.

This reminds me of the story about selling drills. Nobody wants a drill. People want to make holes in things. The drill is the way you make holes.

I need a way to get bikes and people to the places I want to go. Don't care if it says Truck, Car, SUV, or Van on the label. If they launched a 450 mile Model Y with 8" of travel and off road tires that was reasonable price, it might just replace the Cybertruck on my short list. Right now I just bump into range/ battery capacity issues far too often and its just a little too delicate for off-roading.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
IF the Cybertruck comes out with specs. and prices that Tesla announced at the reveal. It will take sales away from virtually all vehicles. Including their own.
Ogre is right, there's never been a vehicle that is as utilitarian and cost effective as what we put our deposits on. That's why I put $100 in reservation the night of the reveal.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
IF the Cybertruck comes out with specs. and prices that Tesla announced at the reveal. It will take sales away from virtually all vehicles. Including their own.
Ogre is right, there's never been a vehicle that is as utilitarian and cost effective as what we put our deposits on. That's why I put $100 in reservation the night of the reveal.
Just exactly this.

I'd flip the whole thing.

Why would anyone choose to pay $37,000 (base) for an expensive to drive, high maintenance 4 Runner when they can get a much cheaper to run, more off-road capable Cybertruck for only $2k more? Add in state and (proposed) federal rebates and the Cybertruck is going to be $5k - $7k less.

If Tesla was able to crank out an infinite number of single motor Cybertrucks tomorrow, I suspect they would quickly become the most common new vehicle on the road overnight.

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
I am just sitting, waiting and wishing!! Patiently!! I AM PATIENT YOU KNOW??

But yes I think the CT will take everyone’s attention and bring a whole new crowd of buyers!

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
At least one. My Lexus RX Hybrid won’t be getting traded in for a new one, it’ll go to the child when I get my CT. I don’t need the truck (though I like it) but I gotta have the science. All of it. Bio, thermo, battery, AutoPilot, FSD, Sentry, Door Auto presentation (DAP?), hideaway tonneau cover, 4 whl steering. BWAHAHA!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
<Snip> Do you think the CT will cut into the SUV sales?
One gearbag hoist up onto an SUV roofrack too many or tumble off the top is enough. Highcenter offroad once is enough to convince that ground clearance matters. Tripping cross-country with seatbelts covered in “stuff” that won’t fit in the back, back or on top - that’ll do it. And simply taking a road less travelled only to be turned around because your car is too nice to scratch - Yep!

I’d rather buy a factory stock Cybertruck any day for the apocalypse-in-wait. Having been in situations, what it took to avoid risk – Cybertruck checks all those boxes others don’t.

Surely, CT is not for anyone who wants an SUV. Not especially a pickup for the cohort that live in major metropolitan areas like New Orleans, New York Tri-state or California… you’d think? LOL

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
One gearbag hoist up onto an SUV roofrack too many or tumble off the top is enough. Highcenter offroad once is enough to convince that ground clearance matters. Tripping cross-country with seatbelts covered in “stuff” that won’t fit in the back, back or on top - that’ll do it. And simply taking a road less travelled only to be turned around because your car is too nice to scratch - Yep!

I’d rather buy a factory stock Cybertruck any day for the apocalypse-in-wait. Having been in situations, what it took to avoid risk – Cybertruck checks all those boxes others don’t.

Surely, CT is not for anyone who wants an SUV. Not especially a pickup for the cohort that live in major metropolitan areas like New Orleans, New York Tri-state or California… you’d think? LOL
And if the Cybertruck has a cabin to vault pass-thru or mid-gate the Cybertruck would overlap even more of the SUV category because you would not have to stop the truck & get out to access the front part of the vault. Cybertruck pass-thru or mid-gate would not have third row seating but it would have huge behind the 2nd row storage similar to a station wagon.