Material of bumpers and wheel well covers?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I was unable to go to the Petersen to see the Cybertruck in person. For those who have seen it, what are the bumpers and wheel well covers made of? I thought/assumed that the wheel well covers would be some kind of rugged plastic but from the closeup pic I am no longer certain. As for the bumpers, most on vehicles today are a combination of materials that crush gracefully but on [some] utility vehicles they are just steel. What were they on the prototype? The junction between the two is an air gap, which makes me think that they are different materials.
Sponsored

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I've been thinking about this myself. Cybertruck Truck guy stated that the front and rear bumpers act as rock guards for the undercarriage. To me this would indicate that the bumpers would be made from steel (or some kind of alloy).

However, I noticed from photos at the Petersen exhibit; the shape and presence of screw howls of the cut-out for the tow-hitch is akin to a bumper being made from plastic.
Tesla Cybertruck Material of bumpers and wheel well covers? 8059b7d0-270f-4501-a748-afe51e265de4-jpe

Perhaps, because this is a prototype the bumpers / rock guards had to be made of plastic in place of metal. Thoughts?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
you could theoretically (although i dont know the law) do a hard steel bumper connected to energy absorbing material deeper in the frame. the entire bumper would shift when hit
so the hard bumper barely gets hurt but a foam crush piece gets destroyed, easy to replace the foam/ sacrificial internal piece than the entire bumper

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
you could theoretically (although i dont know the law) do a hard steel bumper connected to energy absorbing material deeper in the frame. the entire bumper would shift when hit
so the hard bumper barely gets hurt but a foam crush piece gets destroyed, easy to replace the foam/ sacrificial internal piece than the entire bumper
Agree with you 100% in principle buddy.
But that would work perfect only in straight-on impacts. Bumper could also be sideswiped by a passing car behind you as you backed out, etc., so maybe there is some solution that incorporates both your idea plus some other? But good idea nonetheless.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
  • I would opt for Black Stainless Steel Bumpers for Front & Rear. It can be done.. See video (Using Stainless Steel 304)

• Also, I would like to see the front bumper integrated with an indented mount area for the States that required front license plates.
Sponsored