Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What's the confidence interval on your cartoon?
95%
Tesla Cybertruck Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore. 824AA4D1-A69B-4D10-997E-95394E03C198

https://cp.copernicus.org/articles/9/367/2013/cp-9-367-2013.pdf
(It's much newer references than yours, too)

Taking the top of the range, which you have, is the part with low confidence.

Historically civilizations thrive in warmer temps. For a variety or reasons. They also struggle more in cooler temps. for a variety of reasons. Honestly, a few degrees of warmer temps for a time will prove to be a glorious thing. Life will continue to be a beautiful mystery going forward in my CT.
That's... not true. At all. No known human civilization has lived with global temperatures and CO2 levels of today. (Edit: Aside from us today, and the jury is always still out whether we survive it.)

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited:

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
That's... not true. At all. No known human civilization has lived with global temperatures and CO2 levels of today.

-Crissa
More importantly, we kind of suck at living under water.

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
Be my guest. What's the expression? Lead, follow, or what? I've ordered 2. My official retirement 420-22, so my retirement gig will be CT robotaxi. Also, I'll have a CT to travel North America. Lotta rincons in Mexico I wanna see.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
...climate change deniers...
...won't put their mouth over a tailpipe and breath deep because they know it would kill them...
...will insist that emissions from billions of taipipes spewing into the atmosphere for over a hundred years will have no negative consequences whatsoever...
...are they unaware of how small the earth is?...
...do they not know there is a world outside their own town?...
...were they eating lead paint chips as children?...
...the mystery continues...
"The solution to pollution is dilution.". Entire generations were brought up on this thinking. Also, Marlboro man and later Joe Camel. Benzene was used as campfire fuel, cleaning agent and is still part of still burned in gasoline today even though the maximum allowable is 1ppm in the workplace.

The mystery is "easily" solved: brought up in a fossil fuel environment, cannot experience the consequences, unwillingness to change and/or rubs counter to identity.

I'm assuming you were responding to something in this thread. I'd like to suggest that you hit above your weight class. CEOs, politicians, PR firms, lobbying and industry groups are worthy adversaries to poke.

Taking shots at the average Joe who doesn't see things your way will not encourage them to your position. Taking shots at someone above your weight class is comedy and/or social commentary that others can get behind.

Texaswingnut

First Name
Christian Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cadcamchris.com
Vehicles
Toyota tundra
Occupation
3D printing technician
Country flag
I was in the midst of the Texas Freeze last week. Worried for 4 straight days if my pipes were cracking open in the slab every single minute.
Even if all of us switched to EV it wont make a dent in the climate crises we're in as long as companies like 3M, BP, Exxon, PemEx, PetroChina, etc are around. Not to mention the fact that developing countries treat our mother earth like it's a rental car. I've seen it first hand.
I'm staying in the queue simply because I dont want to worry about ICE breakdowns, oil changes, radiator flushes, dead alternators, belts, hoses, fouled plugs, cross-contaminated gas, stolen catalytic converters, etc. The only people WORTHY of owning a CT are the ones who've crawled around on a hot driveway changing their oil in August trying to wipe sweat out of their eyes while being covered in dinosaur juice. It's finally time for us DIY guys to get a break in life. I'm holding the line. You should too.

LKP

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid
Occupation
Retired manager
Country flag
I had a Model Y reservation before the CT was announced. I always had a personal requirement of 400 miles per charge but wanted to upgrade just as
you. I would consider a Model Y now except for the mileage. I need at least one car in the household that can go 400 (real) miles per day. Our Model 3 won’t and I hope that the CT will get close (sans trailer). It is a personal decision of course, but decide what your requirements are before making a decision. Please don’t cancel your reservation until you are sure.
I’m hoping a lot of people will cancel the order so that I can move-up on the list!

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I was in the midst of the Texas Freeze last week. Worried for 4 straight days if my pipes were cracking open in the slab every single minute.
Even if all of us switched to EV it wont make a dent in the climate crises we're in as long as companies like 3M, BP, Exxon, PemEx, PetroChina, etc are around. Not to mention the fact that developing countries treat our mother earth like it's a rental car. I've seen it first hand.
I'm staying in the queue simply because I dont want to worry about ICE breakdowns, oil changes, radiator flushes, dead alternators, belts, hoses, fouled plugs, cross-contaminated gas, stolen catalytic converters, etc. The only people WORTHY of owning a CT are the ones who've crawled around on a hot driveway changing their oil in August trying to wipe sweat out of their eyes while being covered in dinosaur juice. It's finally time for us DIY guys to get a break in life. I'm holding the line. You should too.
Everything you said and I'll add one more, I own a Prius and rarely went to the gas station before the pandemic and only 7 times in 2020. We now own a model 3. Nobody actually wants to go to a gas station. So glad to be done with gas and gas stations.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I'm thinking about cancelling my CT reservation and going Model Y
If towing is not a must, the other advantage of waiting is that you will have more options as you go along:

Last edited:

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
95%
824AA4D1-A69B-4D10-997E-95394E03C198.jpeg

https://cp.copernicus.org/articles/9/367/2013/cp-9-367-2013.pdf
(It's much newer references than yours, too)

Taking the top of the range, which you have, is the part with low confidence.

That's... not true. At all. No known human civilization has lived with global temperatures and CO2 levels of today.

-Crissa
That’s… not true. At all. Every single one of us is currently living with today’s temperatures and CO2 levels.

Reactions: khg

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That’s… not true. At all. Every single one of us is currently living with today’s temperatures and CO2 levels.
That's fair.

But ultimately unhelpful ^-^ Everyone who died of a fever was living with it just before they died.

-Crissa

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's fair.

But ultimately unhelpful ^-^ Everyone who died of a fever was living with it just before they died.

-Crissa
It was only meant to be factual, not helpful. When people get overly dramatic, it rarely helps them make their case. It usually has the opposite effect.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
It was only meant to be factual, not helpful. When people get overly dramatic, it rarely helps them make their case. It usually has the opposite effect.
That's my experience and one of my biggest gripes. I work in renewable energy and addressing climate change. One of my students took part in the climate rebellion marches that were going on where they blocked bridges or whatever. They blocked the bridge in Halifax at rush hour and pissed a bunch of people off... including those trying to bicycle to work. The student herself couldn't get to the protest, as once it started the police blocked the bridge so no one could cross and she was on the wrong side and couldn't join her comrades. She was pissed at the police. I said to her, "Yeah, it's really frustrating when someone stops you from going somewhere you want and should be able to go." She got pissed at my humor, and she and her friends started ranting about extreme action being needed or Halifax will be under water. I politely explained that Halifax will never be under water, not from human-caused climate change anyway. The worst-case scenarios would put the waterfront boardwalk and water street under water, and other low areas, but not the whole city. They hated my science. This stuff drives me crazy. The realities of climate change and environmental damage are bad enough as it is, we don't need to exaggerate them. Saying we will all be underwater or the human race will be wiped out and blocking people's transit (or trip to the hospital, or worse) doesn't win over any fans. It makes you look like a nut. And then me, Mr We Should Get Off Fossil Fuels, in turn gets lumped in with the non-science radicals. I've found both extremes of "Climate Change is fake" and "Climate Change means we will all burn and die" are equally uneducated and difficult to deal with.

CYBRTGR

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X & 3
Occupation
Pro Leisure Circuit Director
Country flag
I drive one hybrid (Pacifica), and one ICE (Volvo). I have a reservation number that puts me around 20,000 in line for a CT and my plan was to replace the Volvo with the CT.

As a side hustle I do wildlife habitat restoration work. I get along just fine pulling a small trailer with my Volvo, or using the actually large space in my van. I have always wanted a truck, and used to own one, but shifted away. The release of the cybertruck was perfect for me - I could have a truck again, do my work easier, and not worry about a gas guzzler.

But Texas has made me rethink my plan. I don't know that I want to wait for the CT. The Texas situation is partly horrible mismanagement, but also climate change related. And every day I drive my ICE vehicle I will now wonder if what I'm doing is the best I can do.

I'm thinking about cancelling my CT reservation and going Model Y. It tows 3,500 lbs which is plenty for me to keep up my current type of work. I can't haul the tractor, but I rarely need to do that now as it is. Yeah the CT is cool AF but it's going to be at least a year, and that just feels much too long.

Is anyone else on this forum feeling the same way?
Texas had a freeze across the entire state in 1989. The electric grid lost many power plants because they were not designed for that cold a weather (guess Texas was planning for Global Warming because in 1989, the UNITED NATIONS issued this press release ... "A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000."). I digress.

Buy the Model Y now and take delivery of the CyberTruck in 2022. Problems solved.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's my experience and one of my biggest gripes. I work in renewable energy and addressing climate change. One of my students took part in the climate rebellion marches that were going on where they blocked bridges or whatever. They blocked the bridge in Halifax at rush hour and pissed a bunch of people off... including those trying to bicycle to work. The student herself couldn't get to the protest, as once it started the police blocked the bridge so no one could cross and she was on the wrong side and couldn't join her comrades. She was pissed at the police. I said to her, "Yeah, it's really frustrating when someone stops you from going somewhere you want and should be able to go." She got pissed at my humor, and she and her friends started ranting about extreme action being needed or Halifax will be under water. I politely explained that Halifax will never be under water, not from human-caused climate change anyway. The worst-case scenarios would put the waterfront boardwalk and water street under water, and other low areas, but not the whole city. They hated my science. This stuff drives me crazy. The realities of climate change and environmental damage are bad enough as it is, we don't need to exaggerate them. Saying we will all be underwater or the human race will be wiped out and blocking people's transit (or trip to the hospital, or worse) doesn't win over any fans. It makes you look like a nut. And then me, Mr We Should Get Off Fossil Fuels, in turn gets lumped in with the non-science radicals. I've found both extremes of "Climate Change is fake" and "Climate Change means we will all burn and die" are equally uneducated and difficult to deal with.
It’s a weird world. I think the vast majority of us who are on this site are environmentally friendly, myself included. I just hate the Chicken Littles. I have zero tolerance for the drama queens
Sponsored